The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

LUONGO TRADED to Florida - Official Discussion Thread

-SN-

I still can't really believe we traded him

I agree. Happened so quick and after everything Lu has gone through with this organization, the highs and lows, are all just in the past now.

Still can't believe just like that his 8 years are over here

Ok I did not mean to express it in that manner but lets look ay some deals after the fact;

Grabner out

Kassian In

Hodgson out

Booth in

Alberts In

Mitchell out

Erhoff out

Raymond out

Loungo out

Schneider out

treat Malhotra and Loungo with no class

this is all "after the fact evaluation"

enough said

Your forgetting Higgy Lappy Hamhuis tanev Stanton Santorelli and many more

Luo stole us 3 games. I blame the same ****ty offense for not stepping up.

Now that he's gone maybe the fans will finally put the blame where it belongs.

Well I doubt even if the offense was healthy that they could've scored on Thomas (the Vezina, Conn Smythe winning goaltender with his CONSISTENT and brilliant 7 game performance) the 9 or more goals we would've needed in Game 3, the 5 or more goals needed to win Game 4, the 6 or more goals needed to win Game 6 or the 5 or more goals needed for Game 7. Lu's INCONSISTENT SCF performance and all 3 Chicago series started the Luongo fiasco with management and led to the goaltending controversy, divided fanbase and so on.

Luo stole us 3 games. I blame the same ****ty offense for not stepping up.

Now that he's gone maybe the fans will finally put the blame where it belongs.

LOL. If that's how you want to frame it then Thomas "stole" 4 games.

Well I doubt even if the offense was healthy that they could've scored on Thomas (the Vezina, Comm Smythe winning goaltender with his CONSISTENT and brilliant 7 game performance) the 9 or more goals we would've needed in Game 3, the 5 or more goals needed to win Game 4, the 6 or more goals needed to win Game 6 or the 5 or more goals needed for Game 7. Lu's INCONSISTENT SCF performance and all 3 Chicago series started the Luongo fiasco with management and led to the goaltending controversy, divided fanbase and so on.

Exactly. What is the main character trait you need to win in the playoffs that you hear over and over. "You can't get too up, and you can't get too down". Lu had problems with this concept. I loved the guy too, but what makes him a great guy, his passion, his ability to show his emotions on his sleeve could be his Achilles heel when it comes to the pressure boiler of the Final. Look at Roy, or even Thomas. Not the nicest or the most fun guys to be around during their runs but they knew how to block out things like a bad goal and soldier on.

I mean what was Lu even thinking when he commented ""I've been pumping his tires ever since the series started and I haven't heard one nice thing he had to say about me, so that's the way it is," Why was he even thinking about this at all? I think that comment showed a lot, that Lu didn't have the makeup to stop those thoughts and gripes into his head both on and off the ice. And that's a killer when what you want is CONSISTENCY.

Absolutely.

Lu was an excellent goaltender for the Canucks, but in the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals he fell flat on his face in Boston -- quite literally. He did not close the series out for Vancouver; he also has the 2009 series against Chicago and the 2010 series hanging over his head. This entire saga occurred because we lost confidence in him as a playoff performer. He wasn't the clutch goaltender we could count on to stop everything when it mattered; he was prone to letting in last-minute goals in big games (2009 Round 2 Game 4, 2010 Gold Medal Game, 2011 Round 1 Game 7, 2011 Round 2 Game 2, etc), and was unable to recover mentally whenever he let in a bad goal. Once the floodgates opened, there was no recovery for him.

He was a great goaltender, but he was inconsistent and was not as reliable in big situations as we would have liked him to be. The 2011 Stanley Cup Finals were a microcosm of his time here. In Game 6, the Bruins lit him up in the first 10 minutes with three bad goals -- that cemented the loss for the Canucks almost immediately.

Don't get how people still can ignore the fact that getting shutout in a game 7, the biggest game ever is totally ok and not pathetic and embarrassing.

See how now we can't score and lose a lot of 1-0 games? Even if Lu let in 1 in game 7, we still lose. Canucks lose the series 4-1, no game 6 or 7 if Lu doesn't get 2 shutouts.

But I guess I am the fool for trying to convince a fool...Anyways he's gone now let's see who fans blame for the future

He gave up on Torres, brought in Marco Sturm, passed up on Brendan Morrison for Peter Schaefer, etc, etc.

I think he had pretty good reasons for those decisions though, but I only would have brought in Sturm on a cheap deal (if at all). Torres got offered a deal but wasn't getting the term he wanted over worries about suspensions. Morrison publicly stated he wouldn't accept a demotion to the AHL (which was very possible when Burrows returned from injury).

I'd touch on the other players listed in the previous post, but they've been covered to death. We know all the conditions surrounding the decisions he's made, no point in ignoring facts to make yourself feel better.

Luongo was a BIG reason I watch this team. Don't know any more....

Pretty sure you can watch the Panther games online. Should be a pretty good stream seeing as there won't be too many people using it. Hook your computer up to the big screen, then there you go.

no offense to those who still blame Lu for the lost of Game 7 of the SCF. but Seriously? If you know anything about hockey or sports, you would know that the goalie is not here to score goals? Come on, if you are going to say something at least say something that is logical or at least makes sense. Regardless, he's gone now and we can all wait for another 10 years or so to make it close to recapture that moment again... internet.. sigh...

Well I doubt even if the offense was healthy that they could've scored on Thomas

Same offense that we're scratching our heads today as to why they can't score. Same offensive core. Changing the coach didn't change anything. Maybe, just maybe, the problem isn't the goaltending, wasn't Bobby Lou, but, was the same folks responsible - the Sedins.

Lu's INCONSISTENT SCF performance and all 3 Chicago series started the Luongo fiasco with management and led to the goaltending controversy, divided fanbase and so on.

Until this team stops chasing rainbows and addresses that the problem is the Sedins, nothing will change. Look - Bobby Lou's gone. Now we should have consistent winning performances driving us to a playoff spot, right?

Right?

This entire saga occurred because we lost confidence in him as a playoff performer.

That this team couldn't get it done with the best of his generation, and prefers to blame Bobby Lou rather than actually address the offense? I'm looking forward to this next stretch where the team can't score - gets even more inconsistant goaltending and performances, and then we look back and realize that we treated a HOFer like ****.

You don't know how good you had it till it's gone.

Anybody else watching the Panthers game? This is seriously my first time willingly watching the Panthers without the Canucks playing them.

Important notes:

- Luongo is wearing one of his Pink Panther helmets

- The announcers haven't really stopped talking about Luongo, saying it feels strange to say his name, but it feels good.

Luongo_goingbacktoflorida.jpg

Oh...I'm sorry.

Too soon?

---------------------------------------------------------------

If he wasn't happy here, then this was a good trade for Luongo. Good for him; glad he's close to home now.

I'm going to throw my support behind Lack and Markstrom. They're our goaltending future now. Best make terms with it.

The reality is, it has been a loooooong time since we've seen Lu that happy in a Canucks uniform.

Im watching the Panthers vs Sabres...a clash between two of the canucks most polarizing players...

Lu has a slick mask on. I must say.

Not a clash, a match. An appropriate outcome would be Hodgson (Buffalo) extending his streak to make it 5 points in 5 games while Luongo (Florida) carries the Panthers to a win in his return home.

Archived