The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To Improve the Team Aqualinni has Fired the....Food and Beverage Staff?

Warhippy

Probably explains why the Canucks had a job fair at UBC today.

They even mentioned there were 1000 new job openings (but they obviously didn't say that this was the reason).

So the Canucks management bank on failure?

Going to UBC where most people are hoping for a future in their field of study, only to be courted by the Canucks who

want them to pour beer, flip burgers, bag popcorn, etc.

How is it failure going to UBC to fill those jobs? They are all decent paying part time evening jobs that would be perfect for university students. Great way to earn some extra money during the school year. I would say that it would be the hard working ones that take the jobs IMO.

Another this to add to the list of shady dealings of Aquilini.

Gaglardi would have been way better owner and it would be night and day if he purchased this team instead he got fracked over by Aquilini.

Looks at his past record:

fracked over Gaglardi and Beedie to purchase Canucks

Divorce

Fined for not providing safe vehicles for farm workers

http://www.vancouver...6144/story.html

Firing concession workers and re-hiring them at cheaper wage. The contact wasn't up and decides to terminate it. If i'm the workers and union sue Aquilini for breach of contract.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...nated-1.2567701

What a dick and scum bag. All he cares about is profiting at any cost and on the back of whomever.

Aquilini's acquire Toptable Restaurant Group (such as Araxi, CinCin, West, Blue Water Cafe, and Thierry)....

http://toptable.ca/media/toptable-group-acquired-by-aquilini-group/

Bye bye 10 dollar White Spot burgers, hello 15 foo foo burgers!

Already going to downsize from three to two seats. Ideally right behind my current ones. I have a feeling nobody is going to take that set of three!

It never ceases to amaze me how people get all up in arms when proiftable companies make moves to become even more profitable. How on earth is that wrong, or "greasy", as was stated a few times above? This goes beyond just the dollars and cents of wages. There is a declining interest in attending games. One of the ways to attract people, even if it is just in a small way, is to improve the amenities and offerings at the arena. Controlling the food and beverage service themselves will grant the Canucks organization an opportunity to improve services while saving money. You, your mother, your siblings...hell, even that weird uneducated cousin with the lazy eye would jump at an opportunity to improve things and save money. It sucks that a bunch of people are getting laid off, but that's how life works. It's not "greasy".

It never ceases to amaze me how people get all up in arms when proiftable companies make moves to become even more profitable. How on earth is that wrong, or "greasy", as was stated a few times above? This goes beyond just the dollars and cents of wages. There is a declining interest in attending games. One of the ways to attract people, even if it is just in a small way, is to improve the amenities and offerings at the arena. Controlling the food and beverage service themselves will grant the Canucks organization an opportunity to improve services while saving money. You, your mother, your siblings...hell, even that weird uneducated cousin with the lazy eye would jump at an opportunity to improve things and save money. It sucks that a bunch of people are getting laid off, but that's how life works. It's not "greasy".

That's fine and dandy but I can't help but think as a customer I keep seeing increasing prices with a deteriorating product - and I am not just talking about what I see on the ice. After the riot the standard beers went from $7.50 for a 16 ounce beer to the same price for a 12 ounce beer. Per volume that's a 33% increase. It's now up to $7.75. Not to mention they have gone to having a pretty good variety to having 90% plus of the areas just serving Budweiser due to their agreement (more $$$ no doubt for Mr. Aquilini) so if I want to get a non Bud I have to go down to level 1 which is quite a hike. Call me cynical but I seriously doubt that there's going to be a roll back in prices or an increase in beer size (regardless of what the results of the recent liquor board changes are) other than perhaps being able to hand around earlier and longer to drink more ever more expensive ever smaller beers. If that's too beer focused for you, it's the same story for everything they have in there.

I have no qualms with the free market charging what it can but I would warn them that especially with a increasingly crappy team that management seems increasingly happy to have and ever higher prices for everything else that they are perilously close to pricing themselves out of the market.

Yesterday I totally forgot there was even a game on TV..........

That's fine and dandy but I can't help but think as a customer I keep seeing increasing prices with a deteriorating product - and I am not just talking about what I see on the ice. After the riot the standard beers went from $7.50 for a 16 ounce beer to the same price for a 12 ounce beer. Per volume that's a 33% increase. It's now up to $7.75. Not to mention they have gone to having a pretty good variety to having 90% plus of the areas just serving Budweiser due to their agreement (more $$$ no doubt for Mr. Aquilini) so if I want to get a non Bud I have to go down to level 1 which is quite a hike. Call me cynical but I seriously doubt that there's going to be a roll back in prices or an increase in beer size (regardless of what the results of the recent liquor board changes are) other than perhaps being able to hand around earlier and longer to drink more ever more expensive ever smaller beers. If that's too beer focused for you, it's the same story for everything they have in there.

I have no qualms with the free market charging what it can but I would warn them that especially with a increasingly crappy team that management seems increasingly happy to have and ever higher prices for everything else that they are perilously close to pricing themselves out of the market.

Yesterday I totally forgot there was even a game on TV..........

Firstly, there's no such thing as "too beer-focused". It's sad that it's Bud though. Tragic, really.

Secondly, I'm not arguing that what has gone on there isn't ridiculous. They're only shooting themselves in the foot, and soon they'll find they have to reverse the trend just to get butts back in the chairs. All I'm saying is that free enterprise works, and complaining about it is pointless.

Vote with your wallet and feet...if you don't like what's happening there, don't support it. I certainly don't give him my money anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess one could argue that they had it pretty good; being at games and concerts for free, and getting to take time off on EI every year.

I work there.... I'm at the game but can't watch because I'm WORKING..... The only time I know we've scored is the horn.... At best I can "kinda" hear a concert, but I'm usually too busy making sure you're not breaking the liquor laws and EI....What?? We're not school teachers. You pretty much got it all wrong there.

Archived