The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

disagreeing less and less with this viewpoint as I watch LA continue to dominate because they have size and skill. They have no forwards smaller than 6'1 (did anyone realize that! LOL)

That being said, post combine I really think this is going to be a tough pick for the Canucks as if we look at their prospect pool here are the needs (No particular order)

1. PMD, while we have some in the system, we don't have a 'high probability' prospect, some good ones but no real close to guarantees that any will make it to the NHL and be a #1/2 who can move the puck, qb the pp. Not really anyone in this draft who does that (at least high - Ekblad is more an all around player)

2. Playmaking #1 offensive center / game breaker to replace Henrik, does that have to be this year? No, we have 3 more years before that's an issue but still a need (Nylander, Ehlers while not a center is a highly offensive/game breaking talent)

3. Offensive winger with size and physicality (every team's desire to find a power forward). (Ritchie/Virtanen)

Issue is of those three needs and the players available, which is the best at what they do? and how is next year's draft in the mid to late picks (given the expectation that the this was a one off year and the Nucks will revert back to a playoff team).

Moreover, how does that dynamic change if we make some trades, get players back if Kesler is involved, other picks etc...

Point is, alot of moving parts, so until we see what Benning does pre-draft/at the draft, its hard to assess who the best player available for us will be. Given number 1 can't be solved with this draft it then falls on 2 or 3.

That's how I'd look at it.

You have an unrealistic view of Ritchie and Virtanen. As much as I applaud you cherry picking a post from April and dragging it all the way out here, its unwise to ever plan your hockey team based on what another team looks like right now.

We need to draft the best player avail to take a notable spot on the team starting in 2017 or 18. We dont need to worry about what the Ducks or Kings look like in 2014 or any other team.

At our spot its going to be Draisaitl , Nylander or MDC. If not them Ehlers would be the alternative to that but I doubt it will come to that.

Forget Ritchie and Virtanen. We arent taking them at #6. Period. There is no scenario where we take those 2 players over the 4 mentioned above.

LOL. He dropped Virtanen from 41 to 43. His rankings are BS.

Button's rankings are based on how he thinks the players will pan out. Its clear that he favors some prospects and isn't a fan of others. He isn't projecting the way the draft pans out, there is a lot of speculation on that already. Button is simply ranking the prospects based on his opinion.

Wouldn't Ritchie be redundant when already have Kassian?

I don't think so. They may bring similar elements in their game but imo Ritchie is more skilled and has better hands. And there is really no reason why you cannot have both in your lineup. Imo Ritchie is more likely to reach his potential than Ehlers and Nylander. I think Ritchie can be a 30-30 guy in the NHL where as I don't consider Kassian ever putting up that much.

Button's rankings are based on how he thinks the players will pan out. Its clear that he favors some prospects and isn't a fan of others. He isn't projecting the way the draft pans out, there is a lot of speculation on that already. Button is simply ranking the prospects based on his opinion.

I don't think so. They may bring similar elements in their game but imo Ritchie is more skilled and has better hands. And there is really no reason why you cannot have both in your lineup. Imo Ritchie is more likely to reach his potential than Ehlers and Nylander. I think Ritchie can be a 30-30 guy in the NHL where as I don't consider Kassian ever putting up that much.

You don't watch Kassian that much, Ehlers and Nylander's skill sets are light years ahead of Ritchie.

i agree absent canuck taking leon mdc nylander or ehlers is the right way to go. jake and ritchie may end up being top 6 forwards but we all know they are a crapshoot and powerforwards take longer to devolop. there is a reason guys like lucic went in the second round. i think jake and ritchie might one day be good players but for once i agree with button on jake as he sees him as a great 3rd line player,nothing wrong with that but not at 6. i gotta funny feeling it will be nylander and the more i think about it the better i like it. he could challenge for a spot next year and play with the twins. all in all mdc ehlers leon or nylander have that skill we have missed for a long time as for size we got kass and can land another big winger with the ducks picks ;) either way those 4 fill an immediate need thanks

Wouldn't Ritchie be redundant when already have Kassian?

Dont forget Matthias as well.

The Kings and Rangers have a grand total of ZERO true drafted powerforwards. Neither do the ducks and neither do the Hawks.

The Bruins have 1.

I think we need to take the BPA but I no longer think its going to be Ehlers. If the top 5 holds we take Nylander.

i agree absent canuck taking leon mdc nylander or ehlers is the right way to go. jake and ritchie may end up being top 6 forwards but we all know they are a crapshoot and powerforwards take longer to devolop. there is a reason guys like lucic went in the second round. i think jake and ritchie might one day be good players but for once i agree with button on jake as he sees him as a great 3rd line player,nothing wrong with that but not at 6. i gotta funny feeling it will be nylander and the more i think about it the better i like it. he could challenge for a spot next year and play with the twins. all in all mdc ehlers leon or nylander have that skill we have missed for a long time as for size we got kass and can land another big winger with the ducks picks ;) either way those 4 fill an immediate need thanks

Thanks. i am not against Power Forwards and bowling balls like Virtanen. I would rather have high end skill instead. Especially 4 years from now when the twins decline. :)

if we're trying to get 2 solid guys out of this draft including a Kesler trade, I'd aim for Reinhart and Virtanen. Virtanen is one of those guys who is shoot first, so you need to get him a set up man. Temporarily, you could put Virtanen out with the Sedins (since by all accounts he's NHL ready), but you're going to need someone better than Gaunce and even Horvat for him to play with and enhance his scoring ability. Without a decent centre, Virtanen is hit or miss. I love the guy, but realistically the best shooter in this draft class needs a guy who can get him the puck. Ehlers would be a good consolation prize for either player.

if we're trying to get 2 solid guys out of this draft including a Kesler trade, I'd aim for Reinhart and Virtanen. Virtanen is one of those guys who is shoot first, so you need to get him a set up man. Temporarily, you could put Virtanen out with the Sedins (since by all accounts he's NHL ready), but you're going to need someone better than Gaunce and even Horvat for him to play with and enhance his scoring ability. Without a decent centre, Virtanen is hit or miss. I love the guy, but realistically the best shooter in this draft class needs a guy who can get him the puck. Ehlers would be a good consolation prize for either player.

We arent getting Virtanen unless we get a second first rounder so there isnt much point discussing him until then. I would like to snag the guy with the 36th overall pick . Button feels he isnt even worth that but I would risk it.

I would put the guy with the twins because his IQ is so low he might forget to take his skate blades off (again) . Like you said, he needs a good center like Henrik to spoon feed him opportunities or he will turn into Taylor Pyatt.

Hey, if Pyatt can net 23 with the Sedins, no reason why Virtanen cant snipe 15 or so. :)

You don't watch Kassian that much, Ehlers and Nylander's skill sets are light years ahead of Ritchie.

What do you disagree with? I don't consider Kassian ever putting up 30-30 which imo is Ritchie's potential. I also think Ritchie has more tools than Kassian. I consider Kassian being more of a 2nd line forward than someone who can play on the 1st line.

You are right though I don't watch Kassian much, certainly not as much as you probably do but I feel fairly confident in saying that Ritchie has the higher ceiling.

Not sure where I said Ritchie was more skilled than Ehlers and Nylander. I disagree that their skill is "light years" ahead but they are definitely players with a higher ceiling than Ritchie. I consider Ritchie a much safer prospect than the other two. I also consider it more likely that Ritchie reaches his projected ceiling than Ehlers and Nylander.

I am more confident than ever in our management team picking the right player. Benning has an amazing track record for drafting, and will get us not only a good 1st round pick, but hopefully a couple late round gems.

I am excited to find out who they think is the BPA.

We arent getting Virtanen unless we get a second first rounder so there isnt much point discussing him until then. I would like to snag the guy with the 36th overall pick . BUTTON feels he isnt even worth that but I would risk it.

I would put the guy with the twins because his IQ is so low he might forget to take his skate blades off (again) . Like you said, he needs a good center like Henrik to spoon feed him opportunities or he will turn into Taylor Pyatt.

Hey, if Pyatt can net 23 with the Sedins, no reason why Virtanen cant snipe 15 or so. :)

Did this guy violate your sister or something? What's up with this astonishing dislike for a player of Virtanens caliber? There is a reason why Button has Virtanen incredibly low compared to other drafting services rankings and other experts, he's not the brightest bulb in my mind.

Virtanen:

One of the fastest skaters in the draft

One of the best shooters in the draft

Had 45 goals this past season

6'1, 212 pounds but he plays like he is 6'5 260 pounds, walks through opposition players.

I really don't see Virtanen slipping out of the top 15 despite having shoulder surgery. He is young enough to rehabilitate from the injury and become even stronger after the fact. If anyone cares here is my top 15 players ignoring team needs:

1. Reinhart

2. Ekblad

3. Bennett

4. Draisaitl

5. Dal Colle

6. Nylander

7. Fleury

8. Virtanen

9. Ehlers

10. Kapanen

11. Perlini

12. Fabbri