The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Canucks should draft Jake Virtanen

canucks155

Thanks for not being able to interpret my comment correctly. I said there's risk to every prospects and you can't say statements like Kassian's better than Virtanen. It's my OPINION that Virtanen will be better at age 23 than how good Kassian is right now. You said the most obvious statement u could've said. That's like me saying Kassian is better than McDavid. he may be right now, but who will be better when they're the same age? I didn't say it with certainty, I predicted, something all scouts do. You're the real bafoon w/ your Philly trade proposal...

I think to many people get stuck in how Young these players are ...now lets take a deep breath.....Go Talk to McKinnon...Yeah he is not old enough that is why he is not good enough...Maybe McKinnon will be better than Kassian when he is 23 ... Well what about now !!

McKinnon more points yeah dont tell me about age>>>

Yeah some need more time to mature but then again some dont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think to many people get stuck in how Young these players are ...now lets take a deep breath.....Go Talk to McKinnon...Yeah he is not old enough that is why he is not good enough...Maybe McKinnon will be better than Kassian when he is 23 ... Well what about now !!

McKinnon more points yeah dont tell me about age>>>

Yeah some need more time to mature but then again some dont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My point is any one of these prospects could be better than Kassian right away so dont sell them short...

There was another big right-shooting BC kid named Brett Connolly out of the Prince George Cougars that was ironically also drafted in the 6 spot in 2010. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that follows the WHL closely how these two stack up against each other. I'm not that impressed with what I've seen of Connally at the pro level so far, though his being rushed into the T-Bay lineup by Jay Feaster at 19 do to his draft position has no doubt regressed his development considerably.

There was another big right-shooting BC kid named Brett Connolly out of the Prince George Cougars that was ironically also drafted in the 6 spot in 2010. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that follows the WHL closely how these two stack up against each other. I'm not that impressed with what I've seen of Connally at the pro level so far, though his being rushed into the T-Bay lineup by Jay Feaster at 19 do to his draft position has no doubt regressed his development considerably.

He got 57 points in 66 games in the AHL last year. I think he's slowly coming around, but he did slightly regress compared to the year before. But there's no guarantee he'll follow the same path.

I just don't have any confidence in the "skilled" players after this years top 5 picks.

William Nylander is a prospect I have watched more than others because he has played for my favorite team in Sweden MoDo a few times this season and there is definitley skill there but there is just something about him that just doesn't convince me he will pan out to become a high scoring player in the NHL. It's hard to think of word for it but he just doesn't feel like he is cut out for it. I hope I am completely wrong if we end up picking him 6th. No physicality at all, weakest player I have seen play for MoDo in years.

Nikolaj Ehlers like Nylander has a lot of skill and speed but there is just something there that just doesn't make me that convinced. I think he will slide in the draft and go between 12th and 15th in the draft. He wouldnt't be able to compete against the Kings, Ducks, Sharks or any other major Western team. He will be picked by an Eastern Team.

Kasperi Kapanen very similar to William Nylander and I expect him to go outside of the top 10 as well.

I don't mind who the Canucks pick but I think that Jake Virtanen is too hard to resist for the new management especially with the way Linden wants this team to look in the future. I have to retract my statement earlier saying that he is not a 6th overall pick in this draft because I think the Canucks will have to make him a 6th overall pick. Similar to Horvat in last years draft he was ranked to go lower in the draft but one team had him at 4th overall in the entire draft. I think us fans often rely on the medias opinions rather than what NHL teams will be looking for. Some names that come to mind (Ryan Johansen, Morgan Reilly, Alexander Barkov, Bo Horvat) in recent drafts that the media have had lower but NHL teams have had higher.

I think Jake Virtanen has all the tools to become a VERY good top 6 winger in the NHL but it is hard to deny that he is a very "raw" type of prospect. The Canucks have to decide whether or not it is worth the risk to draft a raw prospect that could turn potentially turn into a hometown hero or go with another option that they feel more suited for the future of the organization.

My "What If" Scenario:

2014 Draft: Jake Virtanen - Turns into a similar player as Corey Perry

2015 Draft: Matthew Barzal - First line center of the future

Shinkaruk - Barzal - Virtanen

Jensen - Horvat - Kassian

Gaunce - Cassels - Fox

I just don't have any confidence in the "skilled" players after this years top 5 picks.

William Nylander is a prospect I have watched more than others because he has played for my favorite team in Sweden MoDo a few times this season and there is definitley skill there but there is just something about him that just doesn't convince me he will pan out to become a high scoring player in the NHL. It's hard to think of word for it but he just doesn't feel like he is cut out for it. I hope I am completely wrong if we end up picking him 6th. No physicality at all, weakest player I have seen play for MoDo in years.

Nikolaj Ehlers like Nylander has a lot of skill and speed but there is just something there that just doesn't make me that convinced. I think he will slide in the draft and go between 12th and 15th in the draft. He wouldnt't be able to compete against the Kings, Ducks, Sharks or any other major Western team. He will be picked by an Eastern Team.

Kasperi Kapanen very similar to William Nylander and I expect him to go outside of the top 10 as well.

I don't mind who the Canucks pick but I think that Jake Virtanen is too hard to resist for the new management especially with the way Linden wants this team to look in the future. I have to retract my statement earlier saying that he is not a 6th overall pick in this draft because I think the Canucks will have to make him a 6th overall pick. Similar to Horvat in last years draft he was ranked to go lower in the draft but one team had him at 4th overall in the entire draft. I think us fans often rely on the medias opinions rather than what NHL teams will be looking for. Some names that come to mind (Ryan Johansen, Morgan Reilly, Alexander Barkov, Bo Horvat) in recent drafts that the media have had lower but NHL teams have had higher.

I think Jake Virtanen has all the tools to become a VERY good top 6 winger in the NHL but it is hard to deny that he is a very "raw" type of prospect. The Canucks have to decide whether or not it is worth the risk to draft a raw prospect that could turn potentially turn into a hometown hero or go with another option that they feel more suited for the future of the organization.

My "What If" Scenario:

Gaunce - Cassels - Fox

Barzal has been playing great at the u18 championship, same w/ Virtanen. I hope this scenario of yours happens.

My "What If" Scenario:

Gaunce - Cassels - Fox

what ifs are fun, what if virtanen becomes a Taylor Pyatt and ehlers turns into Patrick Kaneesque player. :P

what ifs are fun, what if ehlers turns into Patrick Kaneesque player. :P

Lmao. He's going to be Grabner and Jake's going to be Perry. Ehlers would die in the West, let alone the Pacific. The reason the other small guys succeed (Kane, MacKinnon, Oshie, etc) is because they have 10x the skill Ehlers has. Ehelrs plays in the easiest league w/ the best player in the CHL. His stats are highly inflated...

Just watching Virtanen in the Canada/Czech under 18 semi-final game. Not impressive.

Yeah, I was watching as well. Too bad about the result (especially that giveaway)

But as to Virtanen's game today: to be fair, the Czechs were playing things pretty tight against Canada's top players for most of that game. Virtanen's not the only one who was finding it hard to break through their defense.

There were some flashes where he looked like a potential game breaker. He just wasn't able to put it all together today (and he was also a little unlucky at times).

I did occasionally notice his limited vision when it comes to making plays at full speed on the rush. He just doesn't look like a guy who thinks the game quick enough when things are moving at full speed. When the game's been slowed down and he has a little more time and space (like on the PP), he looked quite good making plays and finding teammates (they just didn't find the back of the net).

I was bothered by his tendency to hold the puck too long when carrying on the rush. He went end to end a couple times only to go behind the net and swing it out front to nobody (which was a little too "à la Mason Raymond" for my liking). Turned some good odd man situations into one-and-outs and just didn't seem to have the vision necessary to find teammates when handling the puck at top speed.

That all said, it's not really fair to judge anyone on the basis of one game. And this one wasn't one of his best.

On the positive side, I was impressed with his work on the PP from the left circle and halfboards. His vision and hockey sense looked better than advertised in those situations.

But when the game was moving at very high speed, he sometimes seemed to suffer from a little bit of "tunnel vision."

This certainly shouldn't effect his ability to score goals but it could limit his playmaking ability (especially at the highest level).

As for those "discipline issues" that Craig Button seems to love focusing on, they don't really bother me. I think those aspects of his game will be easily ironed out with age and experience.

Yeah, I was watching as well. Too bad about the result (especially that giveaway)

But as to Virtanen's game today: to be fair, the Czechs were playing things pretty tight against Canada's top players for most of that game. Virtanen's not the only one who was finding it hard to break through their defense.

There were some flashes where he looked like a potential game breaker. He just wasn't able to put it all together today (and he was also a little unlucky at times).

I did occasionally notice his limited vision when it comes to making plays at full speed on the rush. He just doesn't look like a guy who thinks the game quick enough when things are moving at full speed. When the game's been slowed down and he has a little more time and space (like on the PP), he looked quite good making plays and finding teammates (they just didn't find the back of the net).

I was bothered by his tendency to hold the puck too long when carrying on the rush. He went end to end a couple times only to go behind the net and swing it out front to nobody (which was a little too "à la Mason Raymond" for my liking). Turned some good odd man situations into one-and-outs and just didn't seem to have the vision necessary to find teammates when handling the puck at top speed.

That all said, it's not really fair to judge anyone on the basis of one game. And this one wasn't one of his best.

On the positive side, I was impressed with his work on the PP from the left circle and halfboards. His vision and hockey sense looked better than advertised in those situations.

But when the game was moving at very high speed, he sometimes seemed to suffer from a little bit of "tunnel vision."

This certainly shouldn't effect his ability to score goals but it could limit his playmaking ability (especially at the highest level).

As for those "discipline issues" that Craig Button seems to love focusing on, they don't really bother me. I think those aspects of his game will be easily ironed out with age and experience.

I would be happy to take him with say 10th pick in the draft. At 6th hoping someone drops with fewer holes.

You draft the best player available regardless of needs. Virtanen is not worth a 6th overall pick. You have to look at these prospects as potential trade chips and ask yourself who would have the most value in a trade and draft that player

BPA is a matter of opinion pal.

Archived