The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Canucks should draft Jake Virtanen

canucks155

I'm failing to see the comparison. Virtanen is a fairly stocky guy known for physical play to generate goals.. Oshie is a smaller guy with slick hands and a finesse game...

Yea there is no relationship at all.

We should pick Dal Colle if still available in which I think he will be.

I picture the draft going like so:

1. Florida- Ekblad

2. Buffalo- Reinhart

3. Edmonton- Bennett

4. Calgary- Ritchie

5. Isles- Draisaitl

6. Us- Dal Colle

Dal Colle is a Jensen like better yet somewhat better. Can play both wing and Center. Most comfortable with the wing. Dal Colle is the right choice for this organization. Has a bright future. Sorry Virtanen might end up in the hands of the canes.

If that scenario happens and Calgary goes off the board and grabs Ritchie, then the Isles will take Dal Colle since they need winger prospects, leaving us with Draisaitl.

If that scenario happens and Calgary goes off the board and grabs Ritchie, then the Isles will take Dal Colle since they need winger prospects, leaving us with Draisaitl.

The Islanders are likely going to be giving their 5th to Buffalo as I doubt they take themselves out of the McDavid sweepstakes

The Islanders are likely going to be giving their 5th to Buffalo as I doubt they take themselves out of the McDavid sweepstakes

Buffalo will draft Reinhart or

Bennett w/ the 2nd pick. They wouldn't want to draft another center 3 picks later. They'd probably draft MDC so he could play w/ one of the Sam's. No point in getting 2 potential top line centers. They'd rather get a different position. Plus I think MDC is the BPA at that pick

No they won't. That is pretty much telling the fans we expect to suck next year. They will keep their pick this draft

Their fans know they're going to suck next year...

They made the playoffs last year. Highly doubt they're in the bottom 5 of the nhl next season. They have too much offensive talent. If they pick up a decent goalie they can squeeze into the playoffs or finish at worst 9th or 10th

They made the playoffs last year. Highly doubt they're in the bottom 5 of the nhl next season. They have too much offensive talent. If they pick up a decent goalie they can squeeze into the playoffs or finish at worst 9th or 10th

Last year was a huge fluke. They won't leave the basement.

Last year was a huge fluke. They won't leave the basement.

The Isles underachieved this year. Plus with a possible emergence of Strome and Reinhart next year they could be pushing for the playoffs. Highly doubt they trade this years pick because there's no way they are going to finish low enough next year to snag the lottery win.

Alright, I've seen people's opinions and I think we should just trade the 6th OVR pick. Here it is:

To WPG: 1st 2014 Van (6th pick)

To Van: Kane

Why WPG does it: Kane is a nuisance for Winnipeg. They’re just trying to get rid of him for a fair deal. They’re also going into (another?) rebuild. They should try to accumulate draft picks and this trade lets them do that. At this point, they’ll take what they can get for him. This gives them the 6th pick, along w/ their 9th pick. This gives them 2 top 10 picks which they can use to add to their prospect pool, or, they can use them to trade up and get into the top 5. They need to get more prospect wingers and there are loads on the board between 6 and 9 (Virtanen, Ehlers, Nylander, yes, he can play wing, Perlini, Ritchie, Kapanen). They can turn that franchise around quickly too.

Why Van does it: 6th is probably the worst place to draft in this draft. If one of the top 5 falls to us, then screw this deal and grab them. The only I would want us to make this deal would be because there are way too many question marks surrounding Ehlers, Virtanen, Ritchie, Perlini and Nylander. There is no doubt in my mind that Kane just needs to get out of the Peg. He’ll grow up under Torts and will be held accountable for his actions. The Sedins and other characters on the team won’t let him get out of line, something that was and is still missing in Winnipeg. He’ll also be playing in his home province, where he played w/ the Giants of the WHL. This year’s draft isn’t the strongest and Kane is more of guarantee than any of the others. He can still grow into a legit top line player (he was drafted 4th OVR), something I’m not sure the other prospects can do.

Archived