The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tax refund higher than expected

Hi Guys,

So my Canadian tax refund was significantly higher than expected. TurboTax estimated my refund at $335 but this morning I checked my account and I got $1500. Did TurboTax make a mistake or did Canada Revenue Agency?

Kinda don't want to call in and be put on hold for an hour if it's not a mistake.

It's happened to me in the past, not that high of an amount though. CRA likely found something Turbo Tax missed. Wait until you get your statement to see what happened. You can spend the money if you want, but if it was a CRA error, they will make you pay it back.

It's highly improbable that TurboTax made the mistake.

If the refund is not the same, it is because you either entered the information wrong or not at the right place in TurboTax, or you forgot to enter some information.

For example if your income is 31,900 but you entered 39,100 instead. That would create a huge difference in your return. And TurboTax cannot detect/correct a typo error, but CRA will as they have your T4s information on file.

Lots of times? That is comical

Yes actually twice for me in the recent past it has happened. The CRA receives all of your tax documentation anyway.

Lots of times? That is comical

It used to happen to me a lot when I was an undergrad student; I always forgot to add in my deductions for being a student, and the CRA added them in for me and updated my return.

My guess is it is something like this, or as a poster above noted, a typo that the OP made while using TurboTax

Here's an interesting experience I had with CRA around 10 years ago. I filed my income tax and they sent me a letter saying I made a mistake and that they were changing the amount I was going to get back. It was about $3.50 less than what I filed.

I was positive I didn't make a mistake, but whatever, its the CRA and it was only a few bucks. Received the cheque a few weeks later and went about my life. Couple months after that I got another letter saying they now made an error and owed me money. I received a cheque for the original amount they deducted.

I still have it kicking around. I couldn't be bothered to cash it. It sat on my fridge for years and I'd get a good laugh about the stupidity of the whole incident.

Our tax dollars at work.

Here's an interesting experience I had with CRA around 10 years ago. I filed my income tax and they sent me a letter saying I made a mistake and that they were changing the amount I was going to get back. It was about $3.50 less than what I filed.

I was positive I didn't make a mistake, but whatever, its the CRA and it was only a few bucks. Received the cheque a few weeks later and went about my life. Couple months after that I got another letter saying they now made an error and owed me money. I received a cheque for the original amount they deducted.

I still have it kicking around. I couldn't be bothered to cash it. It sat on my fridge for years and I'd get a good laugh about the stupidity of the whole incident.

Our tax dollars at work.

I had on for 4$ sitting around for about the same amount of time pretty much exact same thing happened to me. Must have had the same tax agent reviewing our paper work lol.

As has been stating, wait until you receive your Notice of Assessment. Wife and I received $7500 for our return. Paid down our line of credit in full. About 2 days later, we received early inheritance from my wife's grandmother to pay down our mortgage. Went from 11 years left down to 7.5 years.

Archived