The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Low-fat & non-dairy dessert stores?

sakage.shinga

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there are any good dessert shops/bakeries in the Vancouver area that exclusively/mostly serves organic, low-fat, and non-dairy desserts and pastries. It doesn't have to be vegan, so long as it uses healthier substitutes with low caloric counts. Also to be frank, I don't need these desserts to taste the same as their less healthy counterparts. In fact, I've always found north american desserts to be a bit sweeter than I'd like. I can definitely settle for, and perhaps might even prefer, healthier desserts that are less sweet and not as creamy as the real deal.

Someone recommended Edible Flours to me, but apparently they only sell whole cakes made to order and not by the slice.

Thanks!

The problem with those low-fat products is that while they reduce the calories from reducing the amount of fat, the carb and/or sugar content is the same or sometimes higher, which in reality is the problem and causes the spikes in blood sugar and insulin levels that lead to weight-gain.

Low-fat or no-fat is simply word-play and marketing that plays on the mind. If such and such is low-fat or no-fat it means there's no fat for me to gain.

Don't get me wrong, reducing calories is all good but I would look much rather try and find low-sugar options with healthy alternative sweeteners such as Stevia or Xylitol (usually in the organic or natural sections in the bakery). To be honest it's probably going to be tough to find any fresh stuff that is low-fat and low-calorie.

Then again my philosophy is if I'm going to cheat, then I just go for the real deal - no cheating with my cheating!

So while I can't really suggest anything personally I do believe there are a couple of options that you could try:

http://www.edibleflours.ca/ <-- this is a vegan place so they never use any dairy. They also prefer more natural ingredients and do not use refined sugar (which would really be the big sell for me). They also have some sugar-free products.

This place also has some dairy-free options: http://www.sweettoothcakery.ca/

Hi guys,

Just wondering if there are any good dessert shops/bakeries in the Vancouver area that exclusively/mostly serves organic, low-fat, and non-dairy desserts and pastries. It doesn't have to be vegan, so long as it uses healthier substitutes with low caloric counts. Also to be frank, I don't need these desserts to taste the same as their less healthy counterparts. In fact, I've always found north american desserts to be a bit sweeter than I'd like. I can definitely settle for, and perhaps might even prefer, healthier desserts that are less sweet and not as creamy as the real deal.

Someone recommended Edible Flours to me, but apparently they only sell whole cakes made to order and not by the slice.

Thanks!

Yeah, its called fresh fruit. In every grocery store.

Archived