The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will Benning draft?

Tangerines

Ritchie or Virtanen

Draft Ritchie at 6th overall. Make a trade and try to get Alex Tuch right after. Get some character guys with size and draft smaller in later rounds. Edler and Kesler trade will turn the fortunes of our team. Exciting days for Canuck Fans cause the future is coming

Draft Ritchie at 6th overall. Make a trade and try to get Alex Tuch right after. Get some character guys with size and draft smaller in later rounds. Edler and Kesler trade will turn the fortunes of our team. Exciting days for Canuck Fans cause the future is coming

Thats if those trades happen.

I agree though Benning could really change the course of the franchise if either (or both) players waived their NTCs as the haul could be pretty significant pieces for the future

Just caught this on TSN. Good interview with Jim and TSN. I noticed how he didn't mention Kesler, or Edler as a part of the core. Looks like he wants to hire a coach that wants to play an up-tempo style, and wants to get bigger, but play a fast, skilled game also more like a Chicago brand.

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/TD_...ning_May27.mp3

here are the talking points

- Core group is solid Sedins. Bieksa Hamhuis mentioned specifically wants coach to fit that group.

-Still in process of finding coach. Seems like he is still in the beginning stages of that search

- About his job description, Benning will talk to other GMs but will let Linden know what he is doing at each step for his imput. Communication is the key . Considers Linden his boss.

-Hasn't spoken to Kesler yet. Unclear what Ryan's plans are . Will find out and move from there.

- Wants a big physical team. Feels its a necessity to compete in the Pacific division. More physicality so that we can play both ways specifically mentioned Chicago as an example.

- Never talked about drafting.

-

Just caught this on TSN. Good interview with Jim and TSN. I noticed how he didn't mention Kesler, or Edler as a part of the core. Looks like he wants to hire a coach that wants to play an up-tempo style, and wants to get bigger, but play a fast, skilled game also more like a Chicago brand.

here are the talking points

- Core group is solid Sedins. Bieksa Hamhuis mentioned specifically wants coach to fit that group.

-Still in process of finding coach. Seems like he is still in the beginning stages of that search

- About his job description, Benning will talk to other GMs but will let Linden know what he is doing at each step for his imput. Communication is the key . Considers Linden his boss.

-Hasn't spoken to Kesler yet. Unclear what Ryan's plans are . Will find out and move from there.

- Wants a big physical team. Feels its a necessity to compete in the Pacific division. More physicality so that we can play both ways specifically mentioned Chicago as an example.

- Never talked about drafting.

-

Thanks for posting, this is very interesting!

The problem with playing like the "Bruins"/"LA"/"St. Louis" is that you have to first have a star #1 goalie and star #1 D. In most of these games you will be winning 2-1 or 3-2...very tight games and you need your goalie to be consistent and amazing. The D will play 30+ min a night and be a workhorse for your team. Our two best goalies are now gone and having a star #1 D is the most difficult asset to come by. Unless you manage to get both you will end up in the second tier of "Size" teams, namely "San Jose"/"St. Louis"/"Anaheim" because they haven't managed to win when it counts.

On the other hand, drafting to play a more skill with size like Chicago is likely the 'easiest' way to win. These games you can afford to win 4-2/5-3 because you may not have an all-star goalie. You will likely still need a great D maybe not a star #1 but acquiring the players you need to fit your team will be much easier in my opinion.

Listening to Benning on that podcast you can definitely tell he is not a polished public speaker, but I trust his hockey mind. I finally feel like the Canucks have some knowledge in the management position and not just guys that are great at blowing smoke. I hope this translates into an improved team on the ice. I have a sneaking suspicion that Kesler will be dealt this summer. If he is truly unhappy they won't let it linger. Unlikely we make the playoffs next year without him, unless we get a 2C back. On the draft front--- It's sounds like we are drafting Ritchie. I'd be happy with any of the top 7 on Bob McKenzies list.

The thing is he also doesn't mention Burrows, Garrison etc so I don't think its something to look to far into (not suggesting you are here)

It is an interesting point, but I think its a case of him naming off a couple players off the cuff

The thing is he also doesn't mention Burrows, Garrison etc so I don't think its something to look to far into (not suggesting you are here)

It is an interesting point, but I think its a case of him naming off a couple players off the cuff

No not at all. Just thought I'd point it out. Probably means nothing. I guess in my mind the first players that would come to mind are Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Hammer, and then Burrows. Sometimes when questions are asked on the fly like that not everything gets mentioned I guess.

My list of the 5 best power forwards Ever!

They were all drafted in the 1st round and played in the 230 or better range

#5 Todd Bertuzzi 6'3"-229lbs drafted 23rd

#4 Eric Lindros 6'4"-240 drafted 1st

#3 Jaromir Jagr 6'3"-230lbs drafted 5th

#2 Alex Ovechkin 6'3"-230lbs drafted 1st

#1 Mario Lemiux 6'3"-230lbs drafted 1st

Richie will be in this club, he has the size, strength and skill!!!

Mario and Jagr weren't powerforwards. You're also missing four of the five greatest power forwards ever in Howe, Messier, Esposito, and Neely. Lindros was a beast amongst men.

Either way, Ritchie will NEVER touch this group. I can't predict the future but let's just say I'm 99.9% sure he won't be as good as Gordie Howe or Eric Lindros. He'd be the undisputed #1, if that were the case.

Hopefully Barbashev, Goldobin or Kamenev. Any three would be great. Drafting a Canadian or American would make me very unhappy. This team needs Russians.

You don't want Russians on your team. They faint at the sight of their own blood and haven't a clue how to play defense. But the worst thing about Russians is come playoff time they pull a disappearing act that would make Houdini blush.

Whoever they pick hopefully they excel at SOMETHING, and they don't go back to the old late 90's formula of drafting guys that sort of remind them of Linden, like Josh Holden, Harold Druken, & Nathan Smith. Boy was that a disaster formula.

BPA...don't go for 'all around good player'. We have enough of those in guys like Horvat & Gaunce

You don't want Russians on your team. They faint at the sight of their own blood and haven't a clue how to play defense. But the worst thing about Russians is come playoff time they pull a disappearing act that would make Houdini blush.

You Sir, are a racist.

Archived