The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will Benning draft?

Tangerines

Mario and Jagr weren't powerforwards. You're also missing four of the five greatest power forwards ever in Howe, Messier, Esposito, and Neely. Lindros was a beast amongst men.

Either way, Ritchie will NEVER touch this group. I can't predict the future but let's just say I'm 99.9% sure he won't be as good as Gordie Howe or Eric Lindros. He'd be the undisputed #1, if that were the case.

He wasn't a power forward, believe me. He couldn't skate, but he did plant himself in front of the net, and because he was so big for that era, no one could move him out.

Personally I hope Ehlers is available and we take him. I just wonder if Benning has a particular player in mind provided 1 of the top 5 don't fall to us. Nylander, Ritchie, Ehlers, and Virtanen are all the same in a sense that they are all excellent choices, but they also bring different skill sets and attributes to the table. Linden mentions that they will pick a player that will be the cornerstone for the franchise. I wonder which style of player they have in mind? As well as the later choices in the draft.

If this is true then Van is stupid to not try and trade down to 8 or 9.

If this is true then Van is stupid to not try and trade down to 8 or 9.

This might very well happen. Saw this on HF(don't have a solid source though). Hope they sit down with some picks closer to our range. Maybe this is who they are interested in if there is a Kelser deal for the 10th, or it could be to trade down maybe?

Interesting tidbits from the combine interviews today.

Canucks chose not to interview Nylander or Ehlers....but they did have longerinterviews with virtanen and fleury...they also interviewed fabbri, Lemieux,demko.

Hypothetically, what if Kesler does get traded for the 10th pick plus?

How would Nick Ritchie at 6 and jake virtanen at 10 look? There's some size that benning wants, along with Kassian. Not saying I support it but there's the size.

I'd like to see a bit of a mix, maybe Ehlers at 6 and Virtanen/Ritchie at 10. Gotta have some skill to go with the size.

Before I get carried away I'll end here. Don't even have the 10th pick but I can hope.

Is it draft day yet?

I dont think Virtanen will still be there at 10th overall. Think he will go by 9th latest. I dont see WPG passing on him. They are probably targeting Perlini or Virtanen if he falls. my guess but im no expert.

Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer 2h

Linden on draft: "We are going to pick a player that is going to be a cornerstone for this franchise." #Canucks

Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer 1h

Linden on Jacob Vanek as possible No. 6 pock: "He will be right in the mix…there are some great players in there." #Canucks

- Brad Ziemer meant Jake Virtanen...

Regardless it depends on Benning whether he sees Virtanen as a cornerstone for the franchise and whether Trev agrees as well.

smart move for a quote on quote cornerstone player is to trade up in the draft for reinhart or ekblad...

i think the canucks should just pick what name sounds good and try imagine the name on a score sheet as it would appear! just take a random guess because whatever system they have going isn't working for them clearly!

I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall for the discussions between Benning and the scouts on who to draft, especially in the first round. Super curious on how that conversation will go, and how different the opinions might be, if a huge divide may be exposed early, or if they will be on similar pages about who to draft.

I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall for the discussions between Benning and the scouts on who to draft, especially in the first round. Super curious on how that conversation will go, and how different the opinions might be, if a huge divide may be exposed early, or if they will be on similar pages about who to draft.

Very true, would love to watch that meeting, and be on the floor just listening to draft day decisions

This might very well happen. Saw this on HF(don't have a solid source though). Hope they sit down with some picks closer to our range. Maybe this is who they are interested in if there is a Kelser deal for the 10th, or it could be to trade down maybe?

Interesting tidbits from the combine interviews today.

Canucks chose not to interview Nylander or Ehlers....but they did have longerinterviews with virtanen and fleury...they also interviewed fabbri, Lemieux,demko.

That info is from the day before. Apparently they did interview Nylander and Ehlers the next day.

No word on when they are going to interview Ritchie .

Archived