The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Salaries: Lowest in Canada?

Russianfan

This gave me a laugh reading this.. This is an example of such old school thinking it is almost unbelievable.

I can see this coming from an old timer who grew up in the 9-5 era, with the mentality to put in 30 years of work and retire with benefits. Sorry my friend, those years are long gone. Today we are forced with ever expanding versatile workforce who demand flexibility and movement from one one career to another. People say you will change careers 4-5 times in your life to survive in the modern society.

Let me point out some of the flaws in your argument:

A) Work like an immigrant - that is a joke right? Immigrants are the last to be hired, and the least to be paid. Immigrants come here with 10 years of education and theys still drive trucks and wait tables with PhD's. That is a joke, and you want me to be like that? I was born here, in Canada, I supported this country from the start, it is time it gave something back to me. I am not an immigrant, I think i deserve a little more respect than to work my behind off 80 hours a week, I am more fortunate than that, I am a Canadian citizen and I deserve first dibs on what is available, anyone would agree with that.

B ) No matter how smart you are and how good you think you are, there are 100 people ready to take your job- what a joke. Where did you and so many of the posters on this forum got the idea that somehow the economy is so bad that there are 100 people sitting around bidding on jobs? There are way more jobs than qualified people on the market place, there are tons of jobs available and not enough talent to fill it. No one can do what I can do, I am very driven, I know computers well, I know how to socialize, I know what I am doing when it comes to convincing people and being assertive. There is no way there is even close to 100 people who can do what i can do in Canada, let alone in Vancouver.

Sure I have not theoretically proved it yet on the workplace, but I believe I can do it, and I have the skills required. If I can explain that to the employer they would have no reason to doubt me. I also have no reason to believe there are 100 people who will go against me for any job openings, as any real qualified professional people already have jobs and arent sitting around lazying about. I am sorry the competition for jobs is not as high as you think, 100 people for 1 job? Get real.

C) From the ages of 25 to 29, I was honestly working 75 hour weeks- thats your own fault and your own mistake. I am not planning to work any more than I have to, 40 hours a week max. I have other interests in my life than work, I like to hang with my girl, chill with my buddies, I play video games and I like to hang out at the beach etc. It is pathetic that you wasted your youth busting 75 hour weeks, that is nothing to be proud of. My goal is not to work beyond what is required, in our society your value isnt measured by amount of time invested its by the quality of work you bring and the results you bring. I can do in 40 hours what you can do in 80, this is the difference between you and I my friend, work smarter not harder is my tip to you.

D) I had to show my employer (and future employers), that I could work my tail off without complaint- this is the philosophy of people who think " you have to pay your dues" to make it. A old school, out dated and archaic philosophy. These days you dont have to prove anyhting, you have to come off as an assertive, confident and knowlegable person. If you can convince the hiring manager you can do it then you are in, this is my plan and I have no doubt I can pull it off. You want to be exploited by the system and work endless hours to prove your self that is your mistake. As I am a highly qualified specilaist who is a graduate of one of the best universities in Canada (SFU) I think I am entitled to a bit more than the average joe with my salary expectations.

A true employee can request certain break times, work hours expected, bonuses, vacation days and sick days are all negotiable, I intend to make the most of mine. I am not a weak person to accept whatever is given without negotiation, this is why I am ahead of others my age and in my position, not because I will work longer or more, but because I will negotiate a better start.

Too funny. You are going to get Throat-punched by life.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

I started out of school at TD Canada Trust making around $30,000 a year, then after 3 years I got slight raises upto $34,000. I quit for the food service industry, and for the next 6 years I made 37,500 with slight raises and after those 6 years finished at $45,000. Now with my new job after 6 years experience i was offered $60,000 base pay with 10K bonus, Vehicle, gas, insurance etc and I have no degree.

It's all about the time you put into it.. Half my job is working from home and the other half is out on the road.. 2-3 days every 2 weeks I'm on the Island or in the interior seeing customers.

Troooolllll:

If you live in a home worth $1m you are a millionare, as you can re-finance your house and obtain a free loan essentially or obtain a secure-line of credit to fund an almost unimaginative life syle.

That is what I did, I am 29 me and my friends did a small IT start up that we grew and sold off in 2004 for a large chunk of change that we re-invested into real estate and cash funds.

Now I live off the modest interest of 5.5% that guarantees me 6 figures the rest of my life, which I spend on entertaining women with fancy dinners in Vancouver, endless drinks in clubs, limos and Canuck games. Canuck games are of particular importance to many people as it is a display of power and grace to be able to buy tickets for a girl and all her friends, have them drinking all night long and take them for after drinks after word as well..

I am just a drop in a bucket of countless others who are rich and loving it in Vancouver, we are keeping this city and Canucks afloat so a thread like this makes me laugh.

Interesting how last year you were 29 but this year you are 26. That's some serious Benjamin Button going on.

Nice that you are already making six figures. Why have you been so worried about your lovely communications degree?

I think my favourite part of this post was that 'afterwards' was spelled 'after word'.

Vancouver is an elite city but it all depends where you live and what you have.. If you got money Vancouver is a completely different place than if you do not. I am a regular at Gothams, I lease an Italian made car, I have girls fighting for me, now that is power.. Sure the girls expect gifts and nice dinners, but that is what good looking girls would expect from anyone, if I dont do it someone else would.. Like a season ticket holder, one cancelles there is someone else who will pick up the seat..

Vancouver has some of the highest costs of living in the world along with high real estate, but what really sets Vancouver apart are the girls you can get if you have the cash.. Some of the most beautiful girls in the world are right here in Vancouver but they are only available to those who can afford the life style they demand.. I worked very hard to get to where I am now, and excuse me if I like my girls and my Vancouver Canucks..

We are all Canucks my friend, some are just better off than others.

I thought your whole deal was about not working hard....

I can do in 40 hours what you can do in 80, this is the difference between you and I my friend, work smarter not harder is my tip to you.

So says the guy who took 8 years to finish a 4 year degree and amassed an astoundingly average 2.8 GPA. You should have taken your own advice.

Even with the promotion what are the chances you can get 200,000 points just sitting there? I make 45 k a year which is a large salary for Vancouver and I shop in Save on all the time and save about 10,000 points a year which is considered huge, I never saw a Charity Wheel Promo there at all other wise id invest $100 dollars to rack up the points.. Makes no sense to me that someone can be arrogant enough to make us believe they have 200,000 save on points just laying around.

Troooolllll:

Interesting how last year you were 29 but this year you are 26. That's some serious Benjamin Button going on.

Nice that you are already making six figures. Why have you been so worried about your lovely communications degree?

I think my favourite part of this post was that 'afterwards' was spelled 'after word'.

I thought your whole deal was about not working hard....

He has been exposed :lol:

Archived