The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How We Should Build This Team From Top To Bottom

Plum

This fanbase has no patience to let prospects ripen in the AHL, look at the crying and bitching with Jensen and Corrado last year. Imagine if Shink and Horvat and this years 1st had to spend 2+ years in the AHL,the meltdowns in here would be epic. The fire Linden and Benning threads from the tinpot GM's would drive the mods bats..t crazy.

so if I understand what you are saying is, you don't want to fork out your hard earned dollars to see an inferior product, yet you want to trade the core all away for picks. So how good will the team be with all these young guys, with no core to teach and help them to be pros?? Are you going to shell out $700 to go see a team full of rookies, with no idea how to be pros? Keeping a few good core guys is very important to the developmen of the young guys.....Ask the Oilers how that's working out for them

I would certainly rather ask CBJ how thats working out for them. Tampa Bay is slowly phasing out their vets. St. Louis, Anaheim, NYI are doing the same. Philly as well.

Edmonton didnt work because Hall, RNH, Gagne, Yakupov, Schultz are all softer than Cottonelle and constantly get killed by oppositions best defensive squads. Pair that with inept coaching, seive goaltending and a soft surrounding cast and walla....you have Edmonton.

I look at this next year merely as tryouts. The next coach along with Benning are going to get a pass on however awful next season will be....and im banking on it being bad. BUT.....start phasing out the aging core as I stated and start flipping Burrows, Bieksa and Sedins for high picks/prospects and things will turn around.

Once the team then hits its stride...ppl will forget all about those subtracted vets....even you

Again...I would rathrr fork over $700 to watch rookies with promise and excitement then watch aging vets not accomplish what they once used to be able to do.

And since Im being shook down for that amount of cash.....Im sorry for being a little heartless and ruthless in demanding a certain result for my hard earned investment

Do not confuse the ability to draft (foresee a player's future growth and abilities) with development of draft picks. Detroit is clearly one of the best at developing young talent into NHL serviceable players, but their draft record can be called average at best. They allowed Zetterberg and Datsyuk to slip all the way to the later rounds. If they truly had the ability to foresee their future worth there is NO WAY they would have allowed them to slip that far, they would have ensured they got them by using their earliest pick. They are no better than all the other team's scouting staffs that also let them slip that far. A perfect scouting staff will suggest player rankings based on where they think the player's capabilities will land him in the future. When talking about future all-stars, well EVERY scouting staff on the planet can pretty much pick the top 5...after that it's a crapshoot. And Detroit got lucky, that's all, lucky.

When our farm team consists of a 22 year old 3rd round pick Grenier, and a 5th round pick Corrado, we have MAJOR problems. Our farm was an absolute joke talent wise last year and is one major area that will need improvement. Growing young players into solid hockey players/stars is key.

As for the Canuck players themselves... The team absolutely needs to establish roles and the players to accept those roles unconditionally. That means if you are a third liner, you embrace that and buy into your role wholeheartedly.

WAY too often players get sniffs of glory and are immediately put into top positions when they should never be there. That needs to stop this year.

When our farm team consists of a 22 year old 3rd round pick Grenier, and a 5th round pick Corrado, we have MAJOR problems. Our farm was an absolute joke talent wise last year and is one major area that will need improvement. Growing young players into solid hockey players/stars is key.

As for the Canuck players themselves... The team absolutely needs to establish roles and the players to accept those roles unconditionally. That means if you are a third liner, you embrace that and buy into your role wholeheartedly.

WAY too often players get sniffs of glory and are immediately put into top positions when they should never be there. That needs to stop this year.

well when we insert guys like Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox, Costello, Kenins, to name a few....our farm team will look a little better than last year

I would certainly rather ask CBJ how thats working out for them. Tampa Bay is slowly phasing out their vets. St. Louis, Anaheim, NYI are doing the same. Philly as well.

Edmonton didnt work because Hall, RNH, Gagne, Yakupov, Schultz are all softer than Cottonelle and constantly get killed by oppositions best defensive squads. Pair that with inept coaching, seive goaltending and a soft surrounding cast and walla....you have Edmonton.

I look at this next year merely as tryouts. The next coach along with Benning are going to get a pass on however awful next season will be....and im banking on it being bad. BUT.....start phasing out the aging core as I stated and start flipping Burrows, Bieksa and Sedins for high picks/prospects and things will turn around.

Once the team then hits its stride...ppl will forget all about those subtracted vets....even you

Again...I would rathrr fork over $700 to watch rookies with promise and excitement then watch aging vets not accomplish what they once used to be able to do.

And since Im being shook down for that amount of cash.....Im sorry for being a little heartless and ruthless in demanding a certain result for my hard earned investment

Interesting... You didnt say anything about slowly shipping them out, you said to dump them.... What you're saying is the right thing to do, and I agree... over time. But the way you had said it originally, it looked like you wanted to dump them all now.

I believe this is what the team will do anyways. No one can keep their vets forever, and they all will be phased out.... over time. Not all in one year, like it sounded in your post.

And if you dont want to fork out $700, just wait till they get better. No one is saying you have to go to games... Watch them on TV until they meet your expectations....

Do not confuse the ability to draft (foresee a player's future growth and abilities) with development of draft picks. Detroit is clearly one of the best at developing young talent into NHL serviceable players, but their draft record can be called average at best. They allowed Zetterberg and Datsyuk to slip all the way to the later rounds. If they truly had the ability to foresee their future worth there is NO WAY they would have allowed them to slip that far, they would have ensured they got them by using their earliest pick. They are no better than all the other team's scouting staffs that also let them slip that far. A perfect scouting staff will suggest player rankings based on where they think the player's capabilities will land him in the future. When talking about future all-stars, well EVERY scouting staff on the planet can pretty much pick the top 5...after that it's a crapshoot. And Detroit got lucky, that's all, lucky.

Crapshoot might be a little harsh but I agree with this. What shouldn't be overlooked is the mentorship that the young wings had with the great players of the 90's. The Sedin's, Hamhuis, Bieksa and Burrows are important parts of our future.

Control of Utica personnel and having seamless transition from the farm and a steady flow of hungry youth is vital. Most important is the quality and determination of our top players on the Canucks.

The forwards 11-15, defense 6-8 and backup goalies are positions although important that can be filled most easily. The remainder is the hard part and we have a long way to go. Who replaces the twins, do we have a quality NHL goalie, who quarterbacks the pp and where will the goals come from??

Linden and Benning need to make sure the players they acquire are selfless, relish playoff hockey and are as good defensively as offensively......I'm looking forward to the building.

Archived