The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft] VAN selects Jake Virtanen 6th Overall

Strombone1

Like to reiterate

Some of us are NOT happy about the return we got for Garrison and Kesler. That De'Angelo pick could have been ours.

But then some of us aren't happy about the Virtanen pick even though he fits all of the criteria Benning and Linden stated they wanted.

But the difference is that those of us not happy about the Garrison return and Kesler return have moved on.

Calling our highest rated prospect since the twins a bust and some fo the comments against him, Linden, Benning and the team are really frigging childish.

Grow up.

Virtanen is ours. he's our pick our prospect and our local boy. Get behind him or get behind another team. We needed a big fast smooth skating stud to replace Kesler. We got him. He is super young and heals incredibly fast. Moaning about his injury is a joke.

Seriously, you don`t like the Virtanen pick?

Good.

Let us all be bitter together about todays events.

Well stated! It is shameful and embarrassing to slag Virtanen before he even suits up and that this thread is loaded with so much negativity. You would think that people would be happy to have a big skilled gritty player like Virtanen instead of a 166 lb player that will hopefully to grow a couple of years so that they have NHL size.

Ha ha...wearing #14. McCann looks to have some good potential. 5/5 compete level. Really high IQ

McCann looked shocked to be selected by Vancouver. Glad to have him aboard. He was rated at #10 for N American players by Central Scouting and #19 on Craig Button's combined list.

Was hoping for Mckeown, any chance he falls to 36 lol.

Welcome to Jared. Best of luck going forward. Interview just now wasn't great but I welcome you with open arms.

I think he was mostly disappointed because he dropped several places from where he was projected to go.

Don't think he was as high as 10th, I think TSN had him at 16 or something. Read on another thread that he said as much about the disappointment at dropping in the draft on Team 1040 interview.

Oh sorry, North American skaters. My bad.

What are you talking about?

If you want to quote something, make sure you understand the context that is being discussed.

I said you can't ignore him being the hometown boy, and how that would have an effect on managements' decision on drafting Virtanen. This is business, and every selling point counts when you're making a business decision.

Of course winning is a selling point, who said it wasn't?

But if you're comparing, let's say, Virtanen to Ritchie, who would management lean towards?

If they really are similar, and there is no way to determine who will be the better player in the future without a crystal ball, do you not think hometown factor would play a MAJOR role in Vancouver's selection?

It might play a major factor, but it shouldn't. I understand they are concerned about selling tickets, but the only thing that sells tickets is winning. To win you need the best players possible. I guarantee you that if the Canucks are bottom feeders in 5 years, not a single fan will give a rat's ass that Virtanen is a local boy. It's a complete non-factor from a business standpoint.

Don't really understand all the hate... it's not like Nylander or Ehlers were risk-free picks, especially in the western conference. Would have been fantastic to trade up for Reinhart, but the reality is that outside of the top 5 all of the picks come with substantial risks. I'm comfortable with the idea that Benning and his team made the best offer they were willing to make for a higher pick and backed themselves in from there.

Further than that, one of the main reasons Benning was lauded as a great hire was his depth of experience in scouting and recruitment. I'm going to choose not to make the bonehead assumption he would select Virtanen just because he's from BC. He has access to a wealth of first, second and third-handed information on these kids and he was hired because he knows what he's doing.

Looking forward to seeing how this all pans out!

Archived