The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tony Gallagher drops a suicide reference in latest article

canuckbeliever

My closest friend attempted suicide March last year. Damn near cut his right hand off and slashed his left wrist as well. He was airlifted to Calgary. I spent 14 hours here not knowing if he was alive or dead. He's doing very well now after a great deal of mental and physical therapy despite rather limited use of his right hand. Another friends son committed suicide at 16. Another friend committed suicide three months after his wife left him. All sad events in my life. None have anything to do with Rypien. It doesn't mean the word 'suicide' has ceased to exist in the English language nor that it is reserved solely as a reference to Rypien.

Where did I say that it only has to do with Rypien?

It does relate to Rypien though, because it's a Canucks sports writer writing about the team. A team that lost one of its fan favorite players to suicide almost 3 years ago. And since then has created an initiative to teach people about the seriousness of suicide.

If there was ever a poor time to throw around a term like suicide so loosely, it's now. Not that it should ever be joked about.

Something tells me that if Bieksa catches wind of this, he would have some choice words for Gallagher.

Where did I say that it only has to do with Rypien?

It does relate to Rypien though, because it's a Canucks sports writer writing about the team. A team that lost one of its fan favorite players to suicide almost 3 years ago. And since then has created an initiative to teach people about the seriousness of suicide.

If there was ever a poor time to throw around a term like suicide so loosely, it's now. Not that it should ever be joked about.

Something tells me that if Bieksa catches wind of this, he would have some choice words for Gallagher.

Well, first of all, again, he didn't mean it as a jab against Rypien, so i don't understand where youre getting that from.

Secondly, and no, probably not, if there was ever a poor time to throw around "suicide," it would be the day after. It's been three years, i'm pretty sure Gallagher should be allowed to use the word "suicide," especially if he isn't referring to Rypien in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

My closest friend attempted suicide March last year. Damn near cut his right hand off and slashed his left wrist as well. He was airlifted to Calgary. I spent 14 hours here not knowing if he was alive or dead. He's doing very well now after a great deal of mental and physical therapy despite rather limited use of his right hand. Another friends son committed suicide at 16. Another friend committed suicide three months after his wife left him. All sad events in my life. None have anything to do with Rypien. It doesn't mean the word 'suicide' has ceased to exist in the English language nor that it is reserved solely as a reference to Rypien.

Nor does any of the extensive experience you've just cited mean someone necessarily has "panties", much less a "knot", simply by virtue of finding a juvenile reference to be offensive.

I do not claim to have bragging rights of any sort here, but I'm with DeNiro on this one. Part of showing necessary sensitivity is in recognizing a completely different response to your own can also be completely reasonable, given a person's own personal circumstances, experiences, and feelings.

Sensitive does not mean just expecting everyone to feel as you do.

Well, first of all, again, he didn't mean it as a jab against Rypien, so i don't understand where youre getting that from.

Secondly, and no, probably not, if there was ever a poor time to throw around "suicide," it would be the day after. It's been three years, i'm pretty sure Gallagher should be allowed to use the word "suicide," especially if he isn't referring to Rypien in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

You've already proven that you don't get it, and are completely insensitive to anything related to this subject, so why keep posting?

Rypien is merely a face to the Canucks anti-suicide campaign. Referencing him is meant to show people that it is a real issue that effects millions of real people. It's not just some minor issue that can be thrown around like it's nothing.

Gallagher's ignorance should be an example for people of what not to say. The fact that he's being called out for it is a good thing IMO. It means people are starting to take that term alot more seriously.

The discussion should be about the meat of the article as opposed to the use of a single word. It is a word after all.

Actually no, if that's the discussion you want, you're perfectly free to start a thread about it. This one is exactly about the use of the word in question and what reaction it has produced in the given situation, something a reporter should be interested in, IMO.

You've already proven that you don't get it, and are completely insensitive to anything related to this subject, so why keep posting?

Rypien is merely a face to the Canucks anti-suicide campaign. Referencing him is meant to show people that it is a real issue that effects millions of real people. It's not just some minor issue that can be thrown around like it's nothing.

Gallagher's ignorance should be an example for people of what not to say. The fact that he's being called out for it is a good thing IMO. It means people are starting to take that term alot more seriously.

The biggest thing here is, imo, that you're being blinded by your hatred for Gallagher. Also, you're forgetting about the editor. The editor is the last person an article goes through, and he gave this article a nod. Shouldn't you be putting your hate on him?

come on... get a life

he is tongue and cheek, making a colloquial reference. It is in the lexicon, not disrespectful of any group or persons in particular.

it's just an expression. you can rip anybody apart for their language... eventually. It is intent you have to figure out, and in this case he just means Horvat won't be able to stand it.

It's a normal expression. Should we not ever say "Break a leg" or any multitude of other expressions cause you and your language police friends will get upset?

pfft...

The biggest thing here is, imo, that you're being blinded by your hatred for Gallagher. Also, you're forgetting about the editor. The editor is the last person an article goes through, and he gave this article a nod. Shouldn't you be putting your hate on him?

Gallagher is an old windbag that only spews negativity. I've never taken him seriously. But things like this shouldn't be ignored.

Not only because it downplays something like suicide, but the fact that it should have had nothing to do with what he was writing about.

I know for a fact that the Province has cut a big portion of it's editors, and that the writers are mainly responsible for editing. So no I don't blame an editor, I blame the so called professional for writing it. Just poor taste, and he deserves all the flak he gets.

Because Canuck fans tend to get their panties in a knot over just about anything remotely perceived as a slight. It was sad Rypien committed suicide three years ago. But does that event mean the word suicide should never ever again be used in Vancouver?

So you're not one of us, we've already established that in the past. "Canuck fans" with knotted panties are in the right spot...let me remind you of that.

Suicide should never be used flippantly or off handedly. Suicide comes from a place of despair, anguish and helplessness and to diminish the severity of that by comparing it to a bad hockey decision undermines all the work being done to bring it to the forefront as something very real.

"Break a leg"? People go on to recover from breaking a leg...suicide leaves devastation in its wake so they're kind of a different deal. People who leave us because they can no longer cope are not the same as someone who has to wear a cast for a few months.

Anyhow, I believe that the call to lock this up is likely a good one, in this is not an appropriate way to address the issue of suicide. Mindcheck is a good place to start for education ... we'll leave it at that.

Archived