The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Our core

Okay so in a couple of years when a majority of our core's contracts are done, which would be better? Filling out our bottom 6 forwards and last d pairing/ depth defense with our vets or young guys.

So pretty much if the nucks resigned the sedins, bieksa, hamhuis, edler (the true core of our team) to cheap contracts to fill out depth would you be opposed to it? Also assuming our young guys are ready to step in. The contracts of our core expire anywhere from 3-5years.

Shinkaruk. Horvat. Kassian

Virtanen. McCan. Jensen

Sedin. Sedin Burrows

Hansen. Bonino/Mathias Higgins

Bonino/Mathias

Hutton. Tanev

Tyramkin Corrado

Sbisa. Subban

Bieksa OR. Hamhuis

Stanton

Demko

Lack

If this is not something you think should/will happen... How long do you think our current core will stay with the team/ how long do you think they will keep getting resigned with the Canucks.

Current Core=

Hamhuis

Bieksa

Edler

D sedin

H sedin

To lesser extent: burrows, Hansen, (Higgins??)

My opinion:

H sedin- retire a Canuck and he's willing to keep resigning with nucks for cheap after current contract expires-retire at age 40

D sedin- retire a Canuck and he's willing to keep resigning with nucks for cheap after current contract expires-retire at age 40

Hamhuis- keep getting resigned till age 37 atleast and signing for cheap--might leave in free agency to try to win cup

Bieksa- retire a Canuck at age 38-40 and keep resigning and he will sign for cheap and take pay cut

Edler-probably has a couple more chances to rebound his career and if not he might possibly get traded or if he doesn't bounce back he probably won't get resigned after current contract

Burrows-likely to get traded soon and if not probably will not be resigned

Hansen- likely to be involved in a trade-if not traded he will probably not be resigned

Higgins- probably will resign for cheap but if not he might be let go in free agency

What do you guys think of this current core and my predictions? Let me know what your predictions are.

Hammer doesn't seem like the type to leave. At least not leave Vancouver, he's part owner of the Cougars and his BC boy to the bone. We might choose to not resign him, hope we do resign him personally.

Depends. If they take what they are worth, and not what they were worth. Higgins and Hansen we can let walk. We have younger guys that can fill their roles better. Grenier possibly, Lain, or Zalewski (probably butchered his name sorry). Three guys off the top of my head.

Edit: I am assuming we are going on the idea all our prospects reach their potential? Cause Kassian and Horvat may very well top out at 3rd liner. Virtanen's tunnel vision may be a problem. Shink could be too small and weak for bigger defenders . Not saying all of these happen, but it's equally as unlikely as all of prospects panning out.

Sedins could be those type of players that stay quality NHLers into their 40's. Similar to Jagr or Alfie. Maybe not 1st liners but good 2nd liners. Take the workload off our youngin's.

Sedins - Must retire Canucks, even if you have to 3rd line them for their next deal.

Bieksa - I wouldn't be horrified if ever traded, but should retire a Canuck. Re-sign after contract ends.

Hamhuis - See Bieksa.

Edler - Keep the contracts coming unless his game drops off even further.

Burrows - Prefer to keep him forever, would be ok moving him in the future. After this contract, if he will go major paycut, keep him.

Hansen - Must keep forever (favorite player bias). I'll cry if I ever see another jersey on him.

Higgins - Love his leadership and 3rd line game. Keep if if he will take a paycut, or dump him after contract ends. By then we will have plenty of young guys who can take his spot likely.

Matthias - Undecided. Let's see what he does this year, though technically not a core member yet.

Sedins, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Burrows will retire as Canucks. Edler, Higgins and Hansen will either get traded or leave via free agency. (I'm hoping they get traded for picks this season or next so we can make room for NHL ready prospects). Mathias will be re-signed and either traded or leave via free agency in 3-4 years.

Would have to agree with your assessment and predictions, Shink.

IMO, our core is here to serve a couple of purposes. The first is to be counted on to carry the load for the next two seasons; the second is to help lead the transition to the next new core of players.

Once these objectives are carried out by the current core, it's conceivable that they will play a lesser role on the team and may be moved or unsigned based on the readiness of the next new core.

So, for the vets whose contracts are expiring in the next 1-3 years:

I can see Hamhuis and Bieksa being extended in two years time for similar deals that they have now (higher salary cap, so they will make up less % of the cap hit).

I don't see Burrows, Higgins and Hansen being extended beyond the expiration of their respective contracts. I'd be surprised if they aren't moved through trades before their contracts expire (subject to them waiving their NTC).

JB will probably make a concerted effort to re-sign Dorsett and Matthias. Not so sure if Richardson and Sestito will be re-signed.

And at the risk of making an unpopular statement, I don't think Tanev will be here long term. He doesn't strike me as a Benning-type of defenceman...he's too light (194 lbs. at last count); though positionally sound, not physical enough to be a shut down guy (especially in the Western Conference); though he gets his shots through, doesn't overwhelm anyone with his bantam-level shot; though he makes smart and good first pass out of the zone, he hasn't shown the ability to carry and own the puck in our zone; and though he blocks shots and takes hits like a champ, he's prone to injuries because of what he does well. So all this is to say is that IMO, Tanev will be packaged in a deal that will bring back a PMD or a bona-fide, big-bodied, skilled shut down guy in the likeness of a younger Willie Mitchell.

Just my two cents.

Down the road I think Hank and Hammer can be the foundation guys to build around (not sure if Danny will still be healthy then but if he is I'd give him the 1st or 2nd L.W. spot, depending on how Hunter develops). Also, with secondary guys like Bones, Vey, Kassian and Jensen along with Matthias I think we have young guys that can be projected into each role, while our prospects with upside can step in when they're ready.

Danny - Hank - Jensen
Shinkaruk - McCann - Vey

Bonino - Horvat - Kassian
Rich - Matthias - Dorsett

Hammer - ______
Edler - Corrado
Sbisa/ Stanton - ______

I could see the lineup going through a youth movement when the next wave is ready. Also, I think that eventually working in three rookies (Jensen, Vey, Corrado) who have played in the league before along with three other first round picks with upside (Shink, Bo, McCann) doesn't seem too unrealistic, and I think we could have a decent core when that group does move up.

Down the road I think Hank and Hammer can be the foundation guys to build around. Also, with secondary guys like Bones, Vey, Kassian and Jensen along with Matthias I think we have young guys that can be projected into each role, while our prospects with upside can step in when they're ready.

________ - Hank - Jensen

Shinkaruk - McCann - Vey

Bonino - Horvat - Kassian

Rich - Matthias - Dorsett

Hammer - ______

Edler - Corrado

Sbisa/ Stanton - ______

I could see the lineup going through a youth movement when the next wave is ready. Also, I think that eventually working in three rookies (Jensen, Vey, Corrado) who have played in the league before along with three other first round picks with upside (Shink, Bo, McCann) doesn't seem too unrealistic, and I think we could have a decent core when that group does move up.

What about Daniel sedin?

Archived