The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i like the stick in rink as the primary, and jhonny canuck on the shoulders. the millionaires uni is discusting. and j.canuck as the primary is too AHL imo.

i wouldnt overly mind them coming up with something different, but i like the colour scheme of the current jerseys just fine, and considering they just started an affiliate with the same scheme, i dont think thatll be changing for a while.

Thankfully, the blue, green & white colour scheme for the Canucks, is something that everyone agrees that it looks great!

Unfortunately, it's the only thing that we are all in agreement.

this is the busy orca you're talking about and believe me i hate these as much as i hate the spaghetti skate

zhamhuis.jpg

this is the one i like and i don't know how you can call this busy

naslund_bertuzzi_306x194.jpg

about the stick in rink; the one you like has a childish stick design, imbecile johnny canuck on the shoulders, thicker stripes and the jersey is literally shining like someone poured oil on it. so i guess you could say it's the busiest looking jersey in this bunch

Obviously you haven't read anything I've been saying in this thread. I said the stick in rink on the jerseys with the orca logo would be best, and made it abundantly clear I don't like the striping on the current thirds.

As for the stick in rink logo itself, it looks like a modern nhl logo. Go back and look at a team like the Bruins. Their logo has stayed pretty much the same throughout the vast majority of their history. They update it when it begins to look dated. You can make an argument for "retro" or "vintage" logos, but the modern stick in rink carries that theme over while looking like it belongs in the 21st century.

And the orca you prefer is much worse than the current one. That's just what we should have, another red and blue colour scheme. God knows there aren't enough of those around.

The first orca jersey was way better in my opinion. I aslo feel that multiple jersey changes aren't necessarily a bad thing. In a way, that is our identity. We are consistent for being inconsistent ;) I like the orca, however I just feel that the Liden/Benning era is a new era, and I would like to see a change from the orca.

oh baggins . . . your rhetoric or so predictable. the johnny canuck logo has everything to do with the vancouver canucks going right back to their western hockey league days and believe me, those teams had an incredibly rich history of talent. you can argue about j.canuck being a cartoon or a hawaiian etc. it makes no difference. j. canuck is indelibly tied to the vancouver canucks hockey club. there is no changing that. the stick in rink is also very much associated with the sport the team plays. i will spell it out for you: the rink is where they play, the stick is what they use to put the biscuit in the basket and the c, baggins is for canuck. it is a simple, timeless design that many are looking for and the modern stylized stick in rink has brought the logo right up to the modern era without losing any of it's original aesthetic quality

the orca on the other hand, as pj canuck argues, does misrepresent the canuck hockey club. the sharks have a shark. the ducks, yes, they have a duck. the coyotes, believe it or not . . . have a coyote. we are not the orcas. if you think hard, you will likely feel a pop. that will be your synapses firing. next you will expect to understand. while the orca is an excellent representation for tourism vancouver which does not play hockey per se, there is no and i mean NO connection to the canuck club. you cannot get around these facts and if there is any justice the team will eventually ice two jerseys consisting of j.canuck and the modern stylized stick in rink. if you believe in magic, they will not win the cup until they get j.canuck back and get the orca back in the bay where he belongs.

oh baggins . . . your rhetoric or so predictable. the johnny canuck logo has everything to do with the vancouver canucks going right back to their western hockey league days and believe me, those teams had an incredibly rich history of talent. you can argue about j.canuck being a cartoon or a hawaiian etc. it makes no difference. j. canuck is indelibly tied to the vancouver canucks hockey club. there is no changing that. the stick in rink is also very much associated with the sport the team plays. i will spell it out for you: the rink is where they play, the stick is what they use to put the biscuit in the basket and the c, baggins is for canuck. it is a simple, timeless design that many are looking for and the modern stylized stick in rink has brought the logo right up to the modern era without losing any of it's original aesthetic quality

the orca on the other hand, as pj canuck argues, does misrepresent the canuck hockey club. the sharks have a shark. the ducks, yes, they have a duck. the coyotes, believe it or not . . . have a coyote. we are not the orcas. if you think hard, you will likely feel a pop. that will be your synapses firing. next you will expect to understand. while the orca is an excellent representation for tourism vancouver which does not play hockey per se, there is no and i mean NO connection to the canuck club. you cannot get around these facts and if there is any justice the team will eventually ice two jerseys consisting of j.canuck and the modern stylized stick in rink. if you believe in magic, they will not win the cup until they get j.canuck back and get the orca back in the bay where he belongs.

Thankfully, the blue, green & white colour scheme for the Canucks, is something that everyone agrees that it looks great!

Unfortunately, it's the only thing that we are all in agreement.

Totally agree with granpappy and PJ Canuck on all counts.

There was a time when the Canucks had the Skate crest and I remember on Coach's Corner during Game 3 of the Canuck-Leafs '94 series, Don Cherry was recalling his WHL playing days in Vancouver and expressing his strong sentiment towards Johnny Canuck. At first, I had the exact same feelings that Johnny Canuck critics and haters have today. Too cartoony. A human character for a crest? No thank you! Not when we had, in my opinion, a classic in the Streaking Skate logo. I wanted uniform stability for once.

Fast forward two years later when the Canucks were rumoured to be changing the logo and colours. Don Taylor, then with CKVU's Sports Page, was writing a weekly column for The Province at the time. He strongly felt that Johnny Canuck has earned his rightful place to be the Canucks' primary crest. I thought about it as I was walking across the Burrard Street Bridge to work. The Penguins had the popular Skating Penguin(not at the time) and the Blackhawks had Chief Black Hawk. I then watched my VHS tape of that Coach's Corner segment. I paused it and looked very closely at the Johnny Canuck image.....and then IT HIT ME. :o I swallowed my Canuck pride and realized that Grapes and Donny were 110% right. What is a Canuck?? And who's the lumberjack?? There's your answer right there.

I hated to see the Skate go with all the memories of the '80s and early '90s and all my favourite players who had donned the crest both on the Flying V's and on the front. However, if it meant going with something that truly represented the Canucks' heritage and history, then Johnny was the way to go. I've been a Johnny Canuck supporter ever since.

And again, if the simple and elegant Stick 'n Rink C were to be the Canucks' primary crest, then at least, put the Skating JC on the shoulders.

if Canucks keep the same jerseys for years to come I'll be fine with it. I just think that it would be nice to have a different 3rd jersey. At lest chance the stripping on the current 'stick in rink'

No matter what not everyone is going to be happy with what logo is chosen.

Something cool might be to have a green based 3rd jersey. Just something different that really stands out

And I'll say it again, the Haida style Orca represents WHERE the team plays. The other team you mention chose their team name logos for WHERE there team plays. Unfortunately we chose a team name that is a national reference as opposed to local. Thus using a C and styling it to fit WHERE the team plays is a valid choice. That's a also fact.

And no, I don't believe in magic or superstitions or the tooth fairy for that matter. I do believe when a team is good enough talent wise, it is capable and has a good chance of winning a cup regardless of the logo on the jersey.

Johnny is too cartoonish for my taste. It's a very minor league look. The stick in rink, besides being incredibly bland, is so generic it could be used by Calgary, Montreal, Chicago, Columbus, Phoenix, Carolina, Colorado, or Washington. The Orca C wouldn't work for those teams. It does for Vancouver though.

We should have never created the lame corporate Orca logo.

It stinks of Mark Messier and a corporate ownership that had no respect for Vancouver Canuck history or its fans. Personally I love the skate, but stick in rink or Johnny Canuck would be ok too.

Griffiths had no respect for the team or it's history? :shock:

And I'll say it again, the Haida style Orca represents WHERE the team plays. The other team you mention chose their team name logos for WHERE there team plays. Unfortunately we chose a team name that is a national reference as opposed to local. Thus using a C and styling it to fit WHERE the team plays is a valid choice. That's a also fact.

And no, I don't believe in magic or superstitions or the tooth fairy for that matter. I do believe when a team is good enough talent wise, it is capable and has a good chance of winning a cup regardless of the logo on the jersey.

Johnny is too cartoonish for my taste. It's a very minor league look. The stick in rink, besides being incredibly bland, is so generic it could be used by Calgary, Montreal, Chicago, Columbus, Phoenix, Carolina, Colorado, or Washington. The Orca C wouldn't work for those teams. It does for Vancouver though.

Then change the name of the hockey club to (God Forbid) the Vancouver Orcas, the Vsncouver Whales or the Vancouver Killers Whales.

Then some hockey loving & nostalgic billionaire from a place called Hartford can resurrect the NHL Hartford Whalers!

After another heartbreak loss for the Orcas (nee Canucks) to the Whalers, the Province sports headlines will read, "Our Orcas got harpooned by the Whalers 9 to 1!"

Lol!

I don't see anything unfortunate about having a national or non-local reference for a team name. Just look at Toronto and Montreal for example. When Conn Smythe purchased the Toronto St. Patricks, he re-named them "Maple Leafs" to give the club a Canadian identity as opposed to an Irish identity. The blue and white colours would add a Toronto touch to the brand.

Canadiens is French for Canadians but the French version was to appeal to Montreal's francophone demographic.

Even the N.Y. Rangers don't have a NYC representation in their identity other than the team colours which are American and NYC is the U.S.'s largest city. The club is called "Rangers" because their original owner, Tex Rickard, was once a Texas marshal and his new NHL club would be known as "Tex's Rangers", a play on words of the Texas Rangers law enforcement agency.

I like Johnny Canuck but the Orca is a majestic hunter killer of our own waterways and is a natural. But please get rid of that stupid Hockey Stick from the original crest jeeesh. Not only have we had the ugliest uniform in NHL history (The flying Bumble Bee 'V") we have also had the ugliest stupid logo as well.

The Orca logo as it is is pretty bad though. It should create the "C" in its entirety not be diving out of a computer font. And we should consider it being a "totem" version of the Orca in honor of our proud indigenous people in BC

As nice as that Haida orca drawing looks, it's too busy! As well, if the hockey team wants an orca for it's logo, then change the team nickname to reflect the animal.

Otherwise, Johnny Canuck would make more sense as a Canuck logo.

PJ Canuck, first of all, you have my respect for accepting accountability for taking other posters' differing opinions too personally and letting it get to you. It takes a big person to apologize and I say "kudos" to you my friend. :) I also respect that you are willing to bury "Johnny Canuck's hatchet" ;) with Baggins.

Now, I will go on record by saying that PJ Canuck is 110% spot on with his views on Johnny Canuck and the Orca.

First off, the Canucks, going back to the Pacific Coast/Western Hockey League were given its respective name as a tribute to the Canadian Armed Forces who fought in WWII and were symbolized by Canada's personification, Johnny Canuck. Not because "Canucks" is a slang nickname for Canadians. The hockey club chose the lumberjack version of Johnny because the lumber industry has had very rich roots in British Columbia and the City of Vancouver was built on the lumber industry. That very lumber industry was centred around Hastings Mill, the very first commercial operation in what is now our city and the suburban areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastings_Mill

That is why Johnny Canuck supporters like PJ Canuck and myself favour the iconic lumberjack character because of Vancouver and B.C.'s historic lumber industry and that Johnny's namesake was the birthright of what is nearly a 70-year old hockey institution in our city.

The Stick 'n Rink is the best NHL crest the Canucks have ever had. I've said this in earlier posts, that if Johnny Canuck isn't going to be the primary crest, the Stick 'n Rink is the way to go. Yes, it doesn't represent why the Canucks are called "Canucks". However, it doesn't misrepresent the club name in which the Orca logo does. When I talk to tourists and newcomers in our city and the topic of the Canucks come up, many of them have asked me what a "Canuck" is. They would add that they thought a "Canuck" was related to orcas. I'm dead serious. Look at the Montreal Canadiens' CH. It stands for Club de hockey Canadien. The Stick 'n Rink is no different with its concept. Club name initial and what the club does.

The colours, though, should never, ever be changed. Royal blue and kelly green represent Vancouver and the Pacific Northwest perfectly.

Thanks, Tiger, for reinforcing my thoughts on this Canuck logo identity crisis.

this is the busy orca you're talking about and believe me i hate these as much as i hate the spaghetti skate

zhamhuis.jpg

this is the one i like and i don't know how you can call this busy

naslund_bertuzzi_306x194.jpg

about the stick in rink; the one you like has a childish stick design, imbecile johnny canuck on the shoulders, thicker stripes and the jersey is literally shining like someone poured oil on it. so i guess you could say it's the busiest looking jersey in this bunch

Sorry, but the Orca logo is the most pathetic logo. It should have never been created in the first place.

How is asking a question an attack?

You've proven my point. Using a C for Canuck is perfectly acceptable to you. You are simply using lame excuses to discredit the Orca because it's not your choice. We not the Vancouver hockey rinks, we don't live in hockey rink land, nor is a hockey rink in our coat of arms. Yet it's still acceptable to you.

Where is Vancouver? The Pacific Northwest. More specifically BC. Are Orca's common in the Pacific Northwest? Yes. Is there a permanent pod of whales off the coast of BC? Yes. Are the Haida BC specific? Yes. Which adds up to a Haida style Orca being very applicable to where the team plays. Considerably more applicable than a hockey rink.

As to to bold: Leave out the childish name calling. It really doesn't help your argument.

Hi, Baggins!

Thank you for proving my point!

It's awesome to see that you took my advice to look at the Coat of Arms!

Yes, you're right to make reference that the City of Vancouver's Coat of Arms does not having hockey rinks on it!

Thus conveying your correct point that Vancouver is not known as hockey rink land & that you're against the Canucks using the Stick in Rink logo.

I am very happy that you like to reference the Coat of Arms, as I suggested!

Because, as you can see, there are no orcas on the Coat of Arms, as well! Ergo, Vancouver is not known as Orcaland.

What's on the Coat of Arms?

A lumberjack & a fisherman! Yes, they're there & there's no denying that fact. Two principle industries that built Vancouver's wealth & economy!

Thus, this is the very reason that the Canucks should use the skating Johnny Canuck logo as their primary or secondary logo!

Hi, Baggins!

Thank you for proving my point!

It's awesome to see that you took my advice to look at the Coat of Arms!

Yes, you're right to make reference that the City of Vancouver's Coat of Arms does not having hockey rinks on it!

Thus conveying your correct point that Vancouver is not known as hockey rink land & that you're against the Canucks using the Stick in Rink logo.

I am very happy that you like to reference the Coat of Arms, as I suggested!

Because, as you can see, there are no orcas on the Coat of Arms, as well! Ergo, Vancouver is not known as Orcaland.

What's on the Coat of Arms?

A lumberjack & a fisherman! Yes, they're there & there's no denying that fact. Two principle industries that built Vancouver's wealth & economy!

Thus, this is the very reason that the Canucks should use the skating Johnny Canuck logo as their primary or secondary logo!

Can we not than just use 'Johnny fisherman' as our logo? Who says it had to be the lumberjack. Water has more to do with hockey than trees.

Maybe it could be 'Johnny fisherman' catching a whale. While looking at the Coat of Arms we could also use a knight, castle, ship, dogwood flower, or totem pole as our logo.

The slogan is also "by sea land and air we prosper". So maybe 'Johnny Canuck' as an aviator, ship captain, or any land profession would work

All this Johnny Canuck/Orca/Stick in the rink/flying V/flying skate talk because Trevor Linden brought it up as a subject on Team 1040 a few weeks ago...damn you Trev...it was such a quiet and peaceful summer before you opened up this can of worms!!!

Archived