The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I gave him a direction to go but he ignored it. Obviously fear of losing a % :)

Seriously these letters are too "girly" too fancy, too lightweight. Even making the "C" elliptical inside a circle is a duff move, as is cutting the containing circle with the "V" the "V" reminds me of a boomerang.

JR, no offence but you need to brush up on "image and element strength" if you are in the design biz.

All of the above is meant to help. It's not that the icon itself might not suit a commercial use (but I have my doubts) but for a sport like hockey it has to be bolder, more in your face, stronger.

That's why the Orca works btw.

Firstly no, I'm not in graphic design, it's an ancillary part of my career in 3d modeling/drafting. My concept is meant as exactly that, a concept. Nothing more. It's an "I wish we had something more along these simple lines with no cheesy orcas or cartoon pilots/lumberjacks."

It's not meant as a definitive on anything nor do I have some grand delusion I'll be seeing our boys skate out in anything resembling them even if the concept were to be fleshed out further by someone whose primary job and proficiency is graphic design.

Having said that, what it sounds like your describing to me is cheesy and at best, trendy design. Not simple, timeless or iconic.

Let's take a look at some other well known, well done, initials based logos to compare how "bold and in your face" they are.

2493.png

chc_1200x630.jpg

919.gif

UNC%20Logo.jpg

Kansas_City_Chiefs_KC_logo.png

green-bay-packers-logo-nfl.gif

124.gif

Yankees-Logo.gif

Sorry there bud but you and I (and most of the rest of the world if these logos are any indication) have very different ideas on what good, timeless logo design is. Aggressive, garish design does not tend to age well.

I stand by this as a decent and corollary amateur/preliminary/draft concept.

se58qw.jpg

I fully support Johnny Canuck as a crest and as a team identity. The iconic character is whom our beloved hockey team is named after and his lumberjack profession is a long-time industry in the Province of B.C. which helped build the City of Vancouver.
The saddest thing about the Canucks, other than never winning a Cup, has been their identity crisis. As fans, we all have our respective tastes of what we love and what we can do without. The harsh reality is that with all the different looks the club has had in its NHL history, the unity of the fanbase has been badly hurt. Montreal fans have their rouge, blanc, and bleu CH. Toronto fans have their blue and white Maple Leaf, even though the crest has had different styles. Our long-time arch nemesis, Calgary for crying out, has had the red Flaming C ever since the move from Atlanta. And here is the NHL's third oldest Canadian franchise, in Canada's third largest market, with an identity crisis on its hands.
I've been a proud and passionate Canucks fan for 35 years now and I go back to the Flying V uniforms with the Streaking Skate logo. I loved the colours, particularly the home "B.C. sunset" yellow. Steamer, Harold, Tiger, King Richard, Tanti, young Neely…it was unique and distinctive. If only the Canucks kept the classy and elegant Stick ‘n Rink C for some form of brand stability instead of going with the controversial Flying V design. On the contrary, it was still wrong to change the colours in the first place.
Speaking of the Stick ‘n Rink, I would be just as enthused to have either the original or modified version as the primary identity. It’s simple and timeless. If the Canucks decide to go that route, I would still include the Skating Johnny as the shoulder patch/3rd jersey primary logo. I like the Johnny V but it gets too many comparisons to the Vachon Cakes logo. I would also like to see a return to the traditional block font with an added green border as well as some green in the collar. The current font looks absolutely weak.
The bottom line is this…the Orca has overstayed its welcome. Its supporters claim that it represents Canada’s west coast as well as B.C.’s First Nations Haida culture. This is very true. However, the main reason the Orca was made the Canucks’ identity in the first place was because the former ownership group, Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment, wanted to shove their corporate brand down the fans’ throats. Furthermore, the Orca has absolutely no Pacific Coliseum history. The Canucks’ first two seasons at the Rink on Renfrew were their last two seasons in the old Western Hockey League. They won the Lester Patrick Cup championship in both those seasons and what was their logo?? Yes, Johnny Canuck.
I have been a Johnny Canuck activist ever since the Canucks talked about phasing out my beloved Skate logo in ’96. I strongly feel that having a Johnny Canuck/Stick ‘n Rink brand will give the franchise the long awaited and timeless identity it fully deserves. Like I said before, I would be more than happy with either one of these two logos being the primary and the other being the secondary. Then, maybe, our Cup curse is broken. I always felt the Canucks are Cup-cursed until Johnny Canuck is part of the club’s main identity.

Firstly no, I'm not in graphic design, it's an ancillary part of my career in 3d modeling/drafting. My concept is meant as exactly that, a concept. Nothing more. It's an "I wish we had something more along these simple lines with no cheesy orcas or cartoon pilots/lumberjacks."

It's not meant as a definitive on anything nor do I have some grand delusion I'll be seeing our boys skate out in anything resembling them even if the concept were to be fleshed out further by someone whose primary job and proficiency is graphic design.

Having said that, what it sounds like your describing to me is cheesy and at best, trendy design. Not simple, timeless or iconic.

Let's take a look at some other well known, well done, initials based logos to compare how "bold and in your face" they are.

2493.png

chc_1200x630.jpg

919.gif

UNC%20Logo.jpg

124.gif

Yankees-Logo.gif

Sorry there bud but you and I (and most of the rest of the world if these logos are any indication) have very different ideas on what good, timeless logo design is. Aggressive, garish design does not tend to age well.

se58qw.jpg

All pretty simple designs but stand out huge. I can't say that your concept is in the likes of some of those logos, but it is a very good start. Since you started making that logo I have been a fan of it.

I don't see why people feel that a logo needs to be "BIG and in your face" I really like the Yankees logo because even as a young kid I could draw it, and I knew what it was instantly. I would love to see Vancouver have something like that. A logo should be easy to draw and be recognized at any age.

I will agree that Johnny Canuck would probably make a good mascot for the team.

3 fav logos are:

Stick in Rink

Millionaires 'V'

Simple 'V'/'C'

All pretty simple designs but stand out huge. I can't say that your concept is in the likes of some of those logos, but it is a very good start. Since you started making that logo I have been a fan of it.

When you remove the "shield" for the unis leaving just the actual logo, it's in more of a similar vein IMO.

2bzbiu.jpg

When you remove the "shield" for the unis leaving just the actual logo, it's in more of a similar vein IMO.

2bzbiu.jpg

Good point, I could see that on a hat or a shirt. Plus that would look good as the helmet stickers.

Edit. I think that the 'C' might need a different font. Just something seems a little off about it

2493.png

chc_1200x630.jpg

919.gif

UNC%20Logo.jpg

124.gif

Yankees-Logo.gif

se58qw.jpg

I think you proved my point. Handsomely. Taking off the surround is a start, now "beef up" the letters and make the "C" less elliptical, it's weak. Both letters are too skinny and as I said "girly"

Why is that?

It was brought in as a corporate identity agenda? Is that what u want the Canucks to represent?

I would rather return to any of the old Logos or go to a new one than stay with the orca.

What is wrong with changing logos anyways? Good for business, they sell new merchandise.

I respect peoples opinions as to if they like the logo itself or not but I hate this argument.

1) All hockey logos are a "corporate identity agenda". The hockey team is a business. Business doesn't make money, It closes. Regardless of what the logo is, Its still a logo for the purpose of identifying the business.

2) Orca Bay Sports was named in reference to The BC orcas. It was previously Northwest sports. The fact that the Orca is a C for Canucks instead of an O or B for Orca Bay further shows that the canucks didn't just "take a corporate logo". The Maple leafs company is called Toronto Maple Leafs sports. It's the same thing. The "Orca Bay" as a company wouldn't have been Orca Bay has they not been assosciated with BC and, By extension, The canucks. It's not like they took the Michelin man and threw it on the front. The company was rebranded Orca Bay and then the logo changed the following season to represent this change. So, No BC, No Orca Bay. It makes sense for BC.

IMO I don't hate the Orca. If they change it, They change it but if it stays, That's the logo.

However, as much as I like the IDEA of Johnny Canuck. He's fine for T-Shirts. I'm ok with the Johnny Canuck V as a shoulder patch but I haven't seen anything that stands out as something that would "work" as a main logo on a Jersey.

The best mock-up I've seen as a possible logo is the Skate logo in the Blue and Green. The current colours are perfect. They look great and also represent not only BC but Canada as a country. The Green of the trees, The blue of the waters (most fresh clean water in the world), the white of the clouds.

I loved the old Skate logo colours when they were the colours but they just don't work. They are the embodiment of the 80's. Look at Reeses Pieces. Came out in the 80s. Same colours. I also wore osh-gosh overalls with one strap hanging off and had an undercut. These are things that just don't fit now, 20+ Years later.

2493.png

chc_1200x630.jpg

919.gif

UNC%20Logo.jpg

124.gif

Yankees-Logo.gif

se58qw.jpg

i'm really tired of looking at your logo. it stinks. can you stop posting it please. maybe make it red and send it to jersey, it looks like devil horns at best. it is not iconic. don't kid yourself. cheers

can someone please explain to me why the majority of the fans hate this beautiful jersey but love the cheesy ones? but please analyze the uniform without mentioning the words messier, keenan and pre ownership group

275958.jpg

Ugly logo, awful colour scheme.

Archived