The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] PTO Invites?

Provost

Salo would be pretty sweet as a guy who plays every 2nd game on the 3rd pairing for 12-14 mins plus 3-4 mins of PP time.. Was it him or Ehrhoff that played with Edler.. although I believe Tanev will be the perfect linemate for Edler this year, just having Salo around will be good for Edler and the other guys

Thing is, we would lose either Weber or Stanton to waivers early October so only way I want a new dman coming in is if its a guy like Myers or Gudas

Off-topic, but check out this article if you havent read about Mike Danton`s experience in the corrupt Kazakhstan league.. mind-blowing

http://www.mikedanton22.com/kazakhstan-true-story-2/

Salo would be pretty sweet as a guy who plays every 2nd game on the 3rd pairing for 12-14 mins plus 3-4 mins of PP time.. Was it him or Ehrhoff that played with Edler.. although I believe Tanev will be the perfect linemate for Edler this year, just having Salo around will be good for Edler and the other guys

Thing is, we would lose either Weber or Stanton to waivers early October so only way I want a new dman coming in is if its a guy like Myers or Gudas

Off-topic, but check out this article if you havent read about Mike Danton`s experience in the corrupt Kazakhstan league.. mind-blowing

http://www.mikedanton22.com/kazakhstan-true-story-2/

Why would we lose one of Stanton or Weber to waivers? We can keep 8 defencemen on the roster instead of 14 forwards. Almost certainly our 14 forward would be waiver exempt (unless we plan on keeping Horvat for 9 games and then loaning him directly to the national junior team).

There is every likelihood we will have at least one player injured for those games and will have plenty of roster space. I don't recall a pre-season that we made it through with all our roster players intact.

(This is probably already posted in one of the other camp threads but I figured it also belonged here)

LW Carter Bancks is also attending camp on a PTO:

Also here in search of gainful employment is J.T. Wyman, who signed a professional tryout contract. As we noted yesterday, he’s an AHL veteran more than likely vying for a job with the Comets, as well as a leadership role. Same goes for B.C.-born Carter Bancks, who spent the last five years as a role player for the Abbotsford Heat.

And the full roster is posted here: http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/09/18/heres-the-full-2014-vancouver-canucks-training-camp-roster/

Salo has lost quite the step since he left here. He isn't close to what he used to be and was a liability in Tampa. I think he's done.

I am not sure where you get most of this aside from your head.

He was tied for the best +/- on the Tampa defence last season while playing over 18 minutes per game... doesn't seem like it was a liability.

He would be asked to do much less here if he were brought in. 3rd pairing guy plus PP time gives him probably 12-15 minutes per game. PP minutes are much easier on the body since he is not banging in the corners the whole time in the defensive end.

Of course he isn't the Salo of 10 years ago, no one suggested he is. The Salo of today is still better than the alternative of Weber or Corrado and is great insurance against injuries.

It doesn't look like Benning is bringing in any defencemen on PTOs, but that could change with a couple training camp injuries.

Archived