The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] PTO Invites?

Provost

Ya... this. More effectively communicated than I was doing.

I think we have some great defensive prospects that could be demanding a job in 2-3 years. The idea we have to make room for young guys is just not the reality on defence.

This is a fairly easy scenario to imagine happening:

In the pre-season Hamhuis gets an abdominal strain and has to miss the first 10 games of the regular season.

In the first couple games Tanev gets a knee injury that has him missing several games.

Our defence is then:

Edler-Bieksa

Sbisa-Corrado

Stanton-Weber

Sanguinetti

Miller would get lit up playing behind that defence who is still learning a new system. The top pairing would have to play well over 30 minutes per night neither of the other two pairs could be trusted to play the second half of a PK reliably.

In the same scenario wouldn't this look better?

Edler-Bieksa

Sbisa-Salo

Stanton-Weber

Corrado

Yes. I think any defense in the NHL would look better with Salo able to step in to their lineup.

Having the luxury of a waivers exempt Corrado would give them more contingency options if those injuries are to veterans as opposed to their young guys. If they were to lose Hamhius and Bieksa for example, the blueline gets very young. You've shown what happens if two guys are injured - there have been more times in the past years than we'd have hoped where the Canucks were short more than two blueliners - that is certainly a possibility where another veteran like Sami would be great to have. Hell, Sami would be great to have regardless. Imo he makes Edler better, and he'd be a hell of a character to add to the mix.

Ya... this. More effectively communicated than I was doing.

I think we have some great defensive prospects that could be demanding a job in 2-3 years. The idea we have to make room for young guys is just not the reality on defence.

This is a fairly easy scenario to imagine happening:

In the pre-season Hamhuis gets an abdominal strain and has to miss the first 10 games of the regular season.

In the first couple games Tanev gets a knee injury that has him missing several games.

Our defence is then:

Edler-Bieksa

Sbisa-Corrado

Stanton-Weber

Sanguinetti

Miller would get lit up playing behind that defence who is still learning a new system. The top pairing would have to play well over 30 minutes per night neither of the other two pairs could be trusted to play the second half of a PK reliably.

In the same scenario wouldn't this look better?

Edler-Bieksa

Sbisa-Salo

Stanton-Weber

Corrado

I think it more likely that Salo gets those injuries :sick: In any case...just say NO to the Edler - Bieksa pairing :rolleyes:

I think Stanton is going to make great strides this year and possibly an improvement from Sbisa. Hutton may show some promise as well.

Who knows how the season will unfold. If any of the prospect in Utica start to look NHL ready later in the season, I could see JB playing him and moving a vet for a dman.

Benning will dump a veteran winger and pick up a veteran d man.

Not worthy of ten posts.

Salo made 3.75 last year and the Canucks have $2m left.

Doubtful Sami needs the money or the rain that badly.

Benning will do this.

"Aqua man" doesn't want to pay that.

Sami doesn't needs this or that.

nuck nit seems to be capable of speaking for virtually anyone.

And judging what posts (and quantity) are worthy.

Perhaps nuck nit should speak for himself,

And if he wants to limit unworthy posts, start with some of his own where he pretends to speak for others.

Did we hire Gerald Diduck? I thought he was coaching minor hockey for a program in Dallas?

I just noticed nuck nit keeps mentioning that "Diduck" will be working with the players.

I was assuming it was a mix-up with Lidster but given the sheer quantity of new hirings, it wouldn't really surprise me if we added yet another coach to the staff.

Benning will do this.

"Aqua man" doesn't want to pay that.

Sami doesn't needs this or that.

nuck nit seems to be capable of speaking for virtually anyone.

And judging what posts (and quantity) are worthy.

Perhaps nuck nit should speak for himself,

And if he wants to limit unworthy posts, start with some of his own where he pretends to speak for others.

Ya, it must be nice to be able to see into the future.

I did already mention that I think it is entirely possible for us to ditch a couple forwards in return for a veteran D man. It all depends on how things go in training camp and who could be available and at what cost.

If I could pick up one of these leftover UFAs at a cheap contract and then be able to get extra assets for a couple of forwards moving out... then I would probably choose to do that.

Yes to Salo and Malone.

Salo is still a quality d-man and have a certain affinity with Edler. Him returning just to make Edler become the 5-million dollar defenseman would already be a benefit.

For Malone... he's the same age as the Sedins, so no young, but not really some old player either. His weak play in recent years could easily be attributed to his drug use, drinking, etc. Might just be a symptom of a bigger issue, something that the Canucks organization (plus the NHL and NHLPA) can help him through. He's a powerforward that could give extra help to someone like Kassian too.

Throw them both a league minimum or 1-million contract.

Ya, it must be nice to be able to see into the future.

I did already mention that I think it is entirely possible for us to ditch a couple forwards in return for a veteran D man. It all depends on how things go in training camp and who could be available and at what cost.

If I could pick up one of these leftover UFAs at a cheap contract and then be able to get extra assets for a couple of forwards moving out... then I would probably choose to do that.

A veteran forward for veteran blueliner hockey trade could make sense if Sbisa doesn't step up, although I have some faith in both Benning and WD's assessment of Sbisa - they both have a pretty informed perspective on him and seem to feel he will continue to develop and command bigger minutes in the near future.

I have no idea what Benning has in store, or whom he might manage to pry out of where, but if it were me, I'd be ringing Sami until he decided to come back. Salo at no assets cost is a real easy decision imo.

A lot of people seem dead set on acquiring a pmd (although there is some confusion around here regarding what a pmd actually is - some folks seem to think a pmd is simply an offensive d, others qualify that a little as a guy who can also make a good first pass, while others want to see an actual puck carrier).

I think the number of pmds who can effectively carry the puck while not being a significant liabiltiy are few and far between - and over-rated for the most part, although that skill set can sure be valuable in situations. I think there are a couple prospects with potential, but I wouldn't be against spending a forward prospect to swap in a young pmd prospect. Dallas has a number in their system - Honka, Klingberg, Bystrom... I'd certainly love to see a guy like Honka in the Canucks system. Likewise, who knows where Pouliot will fit in Pittsburgh with Letang around, and possibly Ehrhoff if they re-sign him. Columbus has a near NHL ready pmd prospect in Erixon that may have difficulty finding a role there.... The existing names at the prices they go for aren't of a whole lot of interest imo, but developing one and/or dealing for a prospect...

I'd also love to see Benning go out and acquire a guy like Petrovic who could get buried behind a lot of high end youth in Florida (Gudbranson, Eckblad, Kulikov, Matheson - they are loaded with premier young blueliners) - Petrovic has been a target of mine for some time, but I'd still be trying to pluck a guy like him off a franchise like Florida - he's big, mean, and has a cannon - quite different than anyone else in the prospect pool for a while (although Tryamkin has a couple of those calling cards).

D man if possible. Safe defensive depth guy hopefully with some bite. We really do not have any physical shut down guys.... We have decent defenders but guys like hammer and juice just aren't big enough to truly shut down opponents or weather a long playoff run.

To be honest I wanted Benning to add something to our backend in that regard but he went with a forward and a goalie. Meh

Needing goal scoring and a mentor for Lack to shoulder the work load. Not against those moves.

However I agree with you about a defenceman. It's really the biggest hole in the lineup. But it's a real long way til the March deadline. Benning's shown he'll pull the trigger. Let's wait and see.

Sami Salo.

Not for just for a reunion, but for Edler.

Salo is one of the smartest defenders the Canucks have ever had (I've heard that on good authority) and if anyone can help "right" Edler, it's him. And all he has to do is stand at that point and wait for the Sedin-Sedin pass to the point with one of Burrows, Kassian or Vrbata screening or waiting beside the net for the off-the-boards rebound or tap in.

How many goals did we see like that? Even if Salo is only getting 11-14 mins a game, he's still invaluable out there as a calming influence.

Glad to see most folks agree that an additional veteran D would be of use to us.

(whether it comes via a trade; PTO; or signing)

Really there are three big question marks this roster has going into the season:

1. Can the Sedins be PPG players? ... I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect 70-90 points each from them if they play the whole season.

2. Do we have a 2nd line? Can a Burrows-Bonino-Kassian line deliver enough to make opponents have to not just throw their best defenders against the Sedin line? No idea really... and we don't have a lot of other guys who are capable of top 6 minutes

3. Is our defence deep enough? I say no and we should add a guy who is capable of playing top 4 minutes if injuries pile up.

The first two questions can't be addressed with moves before the season starts. Either they work or they don't. If they don't then look for some veteran assets (not the Sedins) moved off this team at the trade deadline for more young players and prospects.

The last question is something that can still be addressed before the season starts and at a reasonable price.

Sbisa isn't a prospect and is already slotted in the roster so isn't an injury replacement.

If you are pinning your hopes on Weber/Sbisa/Stanton being ready to move up to top 4 minute in the case of an injury... and Sanguinetti being able to give you 3rd pairing minutes... that is a scary prospect.

Sbisa can play top 4.minutes. Not sure why everyone thinks he's so shaky...if he's healthy, he should be fine.

Sbisa can play top 4.minutes. Not sure why everyone thinks he's so shaky...if he's healthy, he should be fine.

I have high hopes for the guy... but he has never had a season where he has been a positive +/- and he was on excellent high scoring teams with great goal differentials.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=729599&navid=DL|VAN|home

Vancouver, B.C. - The Vancouver Canucks announced today the expected roster and schedule for their Prospects Training Camp and the Young Stars Classic Tournament starting Thursday, September 11th in Penticton, BC.

The Canucks Prospects Training Camp will begin Thursday, September 11th with a 2:30 p.m. practice on the Main rink at the South Okanagan Events Centre (SOEC) in Penticton, BC. All on-ice practice sessions/pre-game skates will be open to the public. Admission to practices at the South Okanagan Events Centre (SOEC) is complimentary. For more information regarding tickets for the Young Stars Classic Tournament please go to canucks.com/youngstars.

A total of 27 players are scheduled to report to the SOEC on Thursday, September 11th for a practice prior to starting tournament play September 12th at 7:30 p.m. versus the Edmonton Oilers prospects.

Select games of the Young Stars Classic Tournament will be available live on Canucks.com beginning September 12th. Single game and day tickets for the Young Stars Classic Tournament are currently available for purchase at www.valleyfirstTIX.com, by phone at 1-877-763-2849 or in person at the Valley First Box Office at the SOEC. Single game tickets are available for $15, double headers for $25 and a limited number of tournament packages (six games) are available at a cost of $60 plus applicable fees. Game dates, times and opponents may be subject to change. Full details on the Young Stars Classic Tournament and games being broadcast can be found at canucks.com/youngstars.

Please note the attached roster and below schedule are subject to change. For the most up-to-date information, please call the media hotline at 604-899-4995 or go to canucks.com/mediarelations.

The Canucks veterans will report to Rogers Arena Thursday, September 18th for medicals, testing and media availability. The Main Camp roster and schedule will be released at a later date.

Yes to Salo and Malone.

Salo is still a quality d-man and have a certain affinity with Edler. Him returning just to make Edler become the 5-million dollar defenseman would already be a benefit.

For Malone... he's the same age as the Sedins, so no young, but not really some old player either. His weak play in recent years could easily be attributed to his drug use, drinking, etc. Might just be a symptom of a bigger issue, something that the Canucks organization (plus the NHL and NHLPA) can help him through. He's a powerforward that could give extra help to someone like Kassian too.

Throw them both a league minimum or 1-million contract.

Sorry to sound like a heartless b-tard, but no thanks to reclamation projects. Don't need the Canucks franchise to be some half-way house for anyone with reported drug use issues. The Canucks have lots of young emerging players that are far more deserving of a shot than Malone.

Any one or two of Sami Salo, Jamie McBain, and Mark Fraser is who I would be glad to see in camp on PTO.

Sami Salo is probably the most underrated Canucks defenseman in our modern era. He is still a solid 4/5 guy, although he would be comfortable with around 16 minutes, with more time on the powerplay than penalty kill.

Folks didn't consider him physical (he didn't lay out big hits or scare people).... but I was always impressed with how he used his body along the boards. He is a pretty big guy and he had a great way of pinning his man and taking him out of the play... not too many folks could get past him.

I would be more than happy to get him back at the right price. I think he has moved on though, and at the most we see him here as a PTO simply as a favour from Linden so that he gets a chance to show other teams he is still an NHL calibre defenceman and signs with one of them.

At least a few teams are going to get one of their top 6 D injured in the pre-season and these veteran D lying around are going to be looking pretty good at that point.

Archived