The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Curtis Valk signing

I guess this is what happens when you do a catch and release like the Canucks did with Antoine Roussel.

EDIT: Too bad Shirokov came to camp looking like Krutov instead of Larionov. Apparently Shiriokov is one of the stars in the KHL now.

Considering he's tied with Cheechoo in the points leaders for this season with two more games played (and not too far behind are names like Nigel Dawes and Pascal Pelletier) I wouldn't put too much stock in his points in the KHL when thinking about his missed opportunity here.

The only rights the Canucks would have is first right of refusal. Contract limit is irrelevant because Canucks, even though they have 52 to 53 players under contract, they have five players they can send back to junior. And if the Canucks were worried about the limit of contracts, they could always sign Valk to an AHL contract, which is what will probably happen.

As good a story as Valk may make, he has equal chances of becoming the next Andrew Ebbett, Steve Kariya, Cliff Ronning, Darren Haydar or Brett Sterling.

Ronning?

He played over 1,100 games in the NHL. He scored over 300 goals and amassed over 800 points. That's not too shabby. He was also a good checker, passer and played well in other aspects of the game.

I don't agree with you that he deserves to be lumped in with those other guys.

As to Valk, the jury is still out on him. He's small...

regards,

G.

Considering he's tied with Cheechoo in the points leaders for this season with two more games played (and not too far behind are names like Nigel Dawes and Pascal Pelletier) I wouldn't put too much stock in his points in the KHL when thinking about his missed opportunity here.

Sorry elvis...was meant to be a note of sarcasm on Shirokov. Another one of my feeble attempts at humor on these boards.

Ronning?

He played over 1,100 games in the NHL. He scored over 300 goals and amassed over 800 points. That's not too shabby. He was also a good checker, passer and played well in other aspects of the game.

I don't agree with you that he deserves to be lumped in with those other guys.

As to Valk, the jury is still out on him. He's small...

regards,

G.

Ronning was added to the list to show the range of how Valk could turn out. I should have made that clearer in my post.

Essentially, what I should have written was the Valk could end up as good as Ronning or he could end up being a career AHLer like Brett Stirling.

Next Ronning would be nice. Not very many players in this league that size - and St. Lious, Cammelleri are built like little tanks which is a big reason they can survive. Gyrba is an experiment that appears to be working out in the East - but aside from those players and a few undersized defenseman (Krug in Boston comes to mind) there really isn't anybody else that isn't average height or bigger (5 ten). Doesn't equate to tons' of players, a very, very small percentage make it to the show so the odds are extremely long, even if he lights it up and the team is forced to sign him he may never make it up full-time. Would be a neat story and welcome addition if it pans out though, Ronning was a huge piece to Vancouver's success in the early to mid nineties....

do you mean eric gryba?

gryba is a 6"3 and over 200 pounds defender

do you mean eric gryba?

gryba is a 6"3 and over 200 pounds defender

I think buddy is referring to Nathan Gerbe...the midget who plays for the 'canes.

I'd love to see Eric Gryba in a Canucks jersey. 6'4" 225 RHD...would make a great no. 6/7 d-man capable of handling the big bodies in the WC.

I think buddy is referring to Nathan Gerbe...the midget who plays for the 'canes.

I'd love to see Eric Gryba in a Canucks jersey. 6'4" 225 RHD...would make a great no. 6/7 d-man capable of handling the big bodies in the WC.

lol

eric seems to have a fixed spot in ottawas top 6 this year ..hope all the best for him ...i do like him too

wondering what they will do if borowiecki developes and cracks the roster next year ...or probably this year?

we´ll see

Sorry elvis...was meant to be a note of sarcasm on Shirokov. Another one of my feeble attempts at humor on these boards.

Haha, no worries. I should be better versed in picking that up, but so many people are actually serious with this kind of stuff it's hard to tell sometimes.

lol

eric seems to have a fixed spot in ottawas top 6 this year ..hope all the best for him ...i do like him too

wondering what they will do if borowiecki developes and cracks the roster next year ...or probably this year?

we´ll see

I don't know anything about Borowiecki other than the top line stats on him. Looks like a kid who likes to mix it up. Can the kid play?

I like how Gryba got Therrien going in the 2013 playoffs (thought the hit Gryba laid on Eller was clean...which I'm sure I'll get a lot of quarrel on)...love how Therrien went all Tortorella (well, sort of), while McLean just shrugged his shoulders and stated that Player 61 should never have sent a suicide pass up the middle. Like Gryba's size and toughness. Guy's only 26...could still develop into a decent shut down guy. There is a lot to like about him.

Is that Obelix in the karate suit in your avatar? That's awesome.

I don't know anything about Borowiecki other than the top line stats on him. Looks like a kid who likes to mix it up. Can the kid play?

I like how Gryba got Therrien going in the 2013 playoffs (thought the hit Gryba laid on Eller was clean...which I'm sure I'll get a lot of quarrel on)...love how Therrien went all Tortorella (well, sort of), while McLean just shrugged his shoulders and stated that Player 61 should never have sent a suicide pass up the middle. Like Gryba's size and toughness. Guy's only 26...could still develop into a decent shut down guy. There is a lot to like about him.

Is that Obelix in the karate suit in your avatar? That's awesome.

thats not obelix but its a guy from a asterix movie

this is bombastik der teutone

so valk released ...did he played any game in the pre-season???

Archived