The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why a star football player traded NFL career for a tractor

freebuddy

what he did makes no rationale sense. if it makes him happy good for him. lots of idiots do dumb things that make them happy.

if altruism is the motive, he had the opportunity/ even gift if you will to make a huge impact in the world.

if personal satisfaction was his motive, Then he could have waited a couple years, or done it part time for a couple years and used his millions to make a far larger farm or something.

what he did makes no rationale sense. if it makes him happy good for him. lots of idiots do dumb things that make them happy.

if altruism is the motive, he had the opportunity/ even gift if you will to make a huge impact in the world.

if personal satisfaction was his motive, Then he could have waited a couple years, or done it part time for a couple years and used his millions to make a far larger farm or something.

What do you do for others ?

Or do you just like bagging out those that help others.

What do you do for others ?

Or do you just like bagging out those that help others.

you missed my point completely.

But if I had the opportunity to make 37 Million dollars. id maximize that opportunity to enrich myself/ or give it to charity. Or do a little bit of both.

I would not set the money on fire, Then grow vegetables in my backyard and give it to charity in the name of helping people (which is essentialy what this guy did)

you missed my point completely.

Did I ?

Was your point that if he gave all his money that would help more than what he is currently doing ?

Lets look at that , lets just say he gave his 37 million all at once to charity , the best scenerio is that he starts a trust/fund and the interest from that 37 million goes to feeding the hungry , if you spend it all at once the money would be gone quickly.

Interest rates are very low so that would not be a lot of money and how much would actually get to the people who need it , people are more prone to help themselves to money as apposed to potatoes.

By growing and donating the food he is making sure each year that people are getting fed , he is donating over $100,000 worth of produce from just 5 acres this year and he has 1000 acres to work with.

If he wants he could turn that farm into a trust when he dies and insure that it hires unemployed people who can grow food for the hungry so that farm has the potential to help others in several ways for the foreseeable future.

Did I ?

Was your point that if he gave all his money that would help more than what he is currently doing ?

Lets look at that , lets just say he gave his 37 million all at once to charity , the best scenerio is that he starts a trust/fund and the interest from that 37 million goes to feeding the hungry , if you spend it all at once the money would be gone quickly.

Interest rates are very low so that would not be a lot of money and how much would actually get to the people who need it , people are more prone to help themselves to money as apposed to potatoes.

By growing and donating the food he is making sure each year that people are getting fed , he is donating over $100,000 worth of produce from just 5 acres this year and he has 1000 acres to work with.

If he wants he could turn that farm into a trust when he dies and insure that it hires unemployed people who can grow food for the hungry so that farm has the potential to help others in several ways for the foreseeable future.

by actually going into the numbers, you just proved my point.

lets say in extremely simple terms that hes giving out 100k worth of potatos/year. he would have to go at it for 370 years just to make up for the 37 mil he lost out on.. now those are really crude numbers, and there are taxes, interests, and million varaibles around it. and other things that can be done with the money besides trust funds....

it just reinforces my point that his actions make no rationale sense.

by actually going into the numbers, you just proved my point.

lets say in extremely simple terms that hes giving out 100k worth of potatos/year. he would have to go at it for 370 years just to make up for the 37 mil he lost out on.. now those are really crude numbers, and there are taxes, interests, and million varaibles around it. and other things that can be done with the money besides trust funds....

it just reinforces my point that his actions make no rationale sense.

I did not prove your point.

This is his first year , if you are gonna say he donates all 37 mill then i will say he is eventually going to use all his acreage to feed the poor

He has a 1000 acres that 200 times 100,000 , which is $20 million, so after just 2 years he is already 3 mill over the 37 mill.

But i get that you just bag out others who get off their arse to help those less fortunate than themselves.

Good quote I stumbled upon:

"The mark of the immature man, is that he wants to die nobly for a cause; while the mark of the mature man, is that he wants to live humbly for one."

Bonus point for any who can name the 20th century lit, that I lifted this from.

I know i could google it but i would rather you tell me .

Great quote by the way.

I did not prove your point.

This is his first year , if you are gonna say he donates all 37 mill then i will say he is eventually going to use all his acreage to feed the poor

He has a 1000 acres that 200 times 100,000 , which is $20 million, so after just 2 years he is already 3 mill over the 37 mill.

But i get that you just bag out others who get off their arse to help those less fortunate than themselves.

his acerage and the money he could have made are not mutually exclusive. that money would have gone on top of the property he had. all he had to do was delay it for a couple years to play out the contract.

Secondly, I have no clue how you came up with those ridiculous numbers. if that's the case, then all farmers with some land should be making money at an exponential rate, and be multi-billionaires by now. but if one was to accept those numbers, it just goes on top of his potential NFL money.

Thirdly if you keep wanting to repeat the "bagging others who help less fortunate" crap.

you should change it to "bagging morons, who could have helped others, but pissed that opportunity away to help out in a far smaller, and less impactful way "

his acerage and the money he could have made are not mutually exclusive. that money would have gone on top of the property he had. all he had to do was delay it for a couple years to play out the contract.

Secondly, I have no clue how you came up with those ridiculous numbers. if that's the case, then all farmers with some land should be making money at an exponential rate, and be multi-billionaires by now. but if one was to accept those numbers, it just goes on top of his potential NFL money.

Thirdly if you keep wanting to repeat the "bagging others who help less fortunate" crap.

you should change it to "bagging morons, who could have helped others, but pissed that opportunity away to help out in a far smaller, and less impactful way "

You really are stretching out the BS with that first sentence.

The article states he grew 100,00 LBs of sweet potatoes off 5 acres , i know growers here in Aus are getting $2.50 a kilo , I pay $3.75 a kilo at my local fruit and veg stall.

Over 40,000kg at 2.50 a kilo is over $100, 000 of five acres . he has a thousand acre which is 200 times 5 , my figures are not riduculous numbers.

I Do not call people moron with out good cause , you just seem like a selfish greedy person who trires to rationalise that fact buy putting crap on those who help others so you can feel better about yourself/.

You really are stretching out the BS with that first sentence.

The article states he grew 100,00 LBs of sweet potatoes off 5 acres , i know growers here in Aus are getting $2.50 a kilo , I pay $3.75 a kilo at my local fruit and veg stall.

Over 40,000kg at 2.50 a kilo is over $100, 000 of five acres . he has a thousand acre which is 200 times 5 , my figures are not riduculous numbers.

I Do not call people moron with out good cause , you just seem like a selfish greedy person who trires to rationalise that fact buy putting crap on those who help others so you can feel better about yourself/.

what part of all that potato bs and his money not being mutually exclusive do you not understand?

and I ignored 2 personal attacks from you, but this 3rd one coming from someone who does not know anything about me is childish..

just stfu little kid and go to bed. im done talking to you.

what part of all that potato bs and his money not being mutually exclusive do you not understand?

and I ignored 2 personal attacks from you, but this 3rd one coming from someone who does not know anything about me is childish..

I genuinely think you are selfish and greedy , you have not denied this so it is not an personal attack but a statement of what i believe to be the truth until you at the very least deny you are selfish and greedy.

I ask you , why do feel the need to crticise a person that is going out of his way to help those less fortunate than themselves ?

I like this story. Who gives a sht if he gave up more money to do it this way. What matters is what you see when you look in the mirror every day. If football isn't fulfilling, and farming is, then nobody can say that what he is doing is wrong, because he is doing what is right for him.

As far as I'm concerned the ridiculous pissing match within this thread detracts from what has happened here: Jason Brown had his calling, and it was farming.

When you know, you know. No amount of money can make you change your mind because it feels like selling out. People who don't get that have either never had a calling, or have no moral compunction toward selling out.

^Are they the words of Holden Caufield??

Catcher in the Rye!

I like this story. Who gives a sht if he gave up more money to do it this way. What matters is what you see when you look in the mirror every day. If football isn't fulfilling, and farming is, then nobody can say that what he is doing is wrong, because he is doing what is right for him.

As far as I'm concerned the ridiculous pissing match within this thread detracts from what has happened here: Jason Brown had his calling, and it was farming.

When you know, you know. No amount of money can make you change your mind because it feels like selling out. People who don't get that have either never had a calling, or have no moral compunction toward selling out.

Catcher in the Rye!

It really jerks my string when the selfish and greedy put crap on those who are actuallly trying to help those less fortunate than themselves.

For sure i feel the need to defend those i believe are going out of their way to help others from those that criticise them.

I know that criticising Jason as samjam did is detracting from him.

The guy with "l337" in his username (twice!) calls someone a "little kid"? Really? One of the golden rules of the internet is that you know someone is young when they call someone else "kid" or "son".

Archived