The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why a star football player traded NFL career for a tractor

freebuddy

cannot see any rationale reasoning behind this. I agree with his agent.

if his intention is to help people, he could have played out his contract and donated the proceeds to charity.

that would have had a much bigger and more positive impact.

if he is doing it just for passion, there is no way it couldn't have waited a couple more years?

I just don't see the rationale behind this. I have nothing against people being altruistic and all. But this man is simply an idiot.

good luck on the potato farm..

Quality of life. Guy probably wants to be able to walk and comb his hair pain free after age 30. Wants to be able to recognize his wife and kids. Not everyone is hung up on money. He can work, and spend time with his family at the same time.

You clearly don't get it. NFL careers are short. They end in post concussion syndrome, a broken down body and other ailments. The guy chose what he believed to be in his best interest and others along with providing a quality of life that he desired. Something tells me you haven't spent a lot of time playing contact sports. I can tell you after 15 years of amateur rugby that I look forward to "retiring" and it has a lot to do with seeing my friends and teammates get injured and get multiple concussions. There's no amount of money that can make your once functional brain back to it's original state.

You clearly don't get it. NFL careers are short. They end in post concussion syndrome, a broken down body and other ailments. The guy chose what he believed to be in his best interest and others along with providing a quality of life that he desired. Something tells me you haven't spent a lot of time playing contact sports. I can tell you after 15 years of amateur rugby that I look forward to "retiring" and it has a lot to do with seeing my friends and teammates get injured and get multiple concussions. There's no amount of money that can make your once functional brain back to it's original state.

That's a wonderful sentiment, except not at all related to his situation.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I haven't seen "fear of injury" cited anywhere as his reason for quitting the NFL.

For someone to find a passion, to really wake up everyday and do what they love doing. That's awesome, even with the temptation of millions of dollars to follow your passion that is very cool.

The story did not say how many millions he has already made, affording him the opportunity to get into his passion of farming perhaps focusing all his energies there while not yet monetarily worthwhile.

It is troubling to see this person being ragged on by some in this thread, happiness in the end has zero to do with money, comforts and material things sure, but not true happiness. Nice to see this individual understands what for him makes him feel happy, and fulfilled, with purpose.

I don't get how anyone can have a problem with this.

He's a successful young man, makes his money and decides he wants to make a career change. End of.

Most people work their fingers to the bone to be successful at their careers or to make ends meat with the intention of stopping one day to do what they really love and have a passion for.

Sounds to me like he made his money, got out in time with no repercussions, is happy with his choice, has no regrets, and is thinking of others while being aware of his good fortune. If you aren't currently living your passion I don't know how you can criticize. He had an out plan. He won that part of the game. Good for him. He made room for another person to fulfill their dreams too while he did it.

You've got to know when to hold 'em…..know when to fold 'em…..know when to walk away….know when to run.

If you criticize him for making the correct choice and getting out while the getting was good then you're probably not that greater about seeing endgames and out plans. Knowing how too enjoy life, and when to, is one of the most important skills a person can have.

Good quote I stumbled upon:

"The mark of the immature man, is that he wants to die nobly for a cause; while the mark of the mature man, is that he wants to live humbly for one."

Bonus point for any who can name the 20th century lit, that I lifted this from.

What if that immature man died nobly for a very good cause... :emot-parrot:

That's a wonderful sentiment, except not at all related to his situation.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I haven't seen "fear of injury" cited anywhere as his reason for quitting the NFL.

What you're missing is any sort of free thought that there is life beyond money. There can be any numerous reasons why he left football and at the end of the day he did what was right for him. It doesn't make him a moron or any less of a man for doing what was right for him and what he wants in life.

You should be nothing but happy for the man who has found everything he wants in life. We should all be so lucky to be able to find that.

Archived