The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vaccine-free daycare criticized by Ottawa Public Health

Lockout Casualty

John Tortorella, take the time to really do some research before I come into this discussion after my exams pass.

I for one will be watching this discussion to see you come up with a coherent argument for once. I'm not hoping that you fail, to be honest because science stuff like this is in your wheelhouse and you could potentially educate an ignorant person like this one.

I for one will be watching this discussion to see you come up with a coherent argument for once. I'm not hoping that you fail, to be honest because science stuff like this is in your wheelhouse and you could potentially educate an ignorant person like this one.

No need to be so patronizing. Plenty have educated this troll.

Personally, I think that whenever an amateur decides to make a decision that could have life altering consequences for others, it's not only completely irresponsible, it's borderline criminal.

Anyone can do "research". If the internet has shown us anything, it's that you can "prove" virtually anything with a simple google search and weeding out the sources that don't support your hypothesis, while posting the ones that do, even if they're vastly in the minority.

The fact that diseases like Smallpox, Polio and yes, Measles have been all but eradicated is all the proof I need to know that vaccinations are effective and I am grateful that all three of my daughters received theirs.

Great point. As a physician and a scientist with a Ph.D. in immunology, I am appalled how much nonsense the public believes in. Then again, there is god and horoscopes everywhere we go. But that's another debate.

Vaccines work for most things. The reason to develop them is to rid of the most prevalent or dangerous diseases, for a given population. Not all of them work equally effective. But to reject outright all vaccines is plainly ignorant.

A person who says measles is not lethal and therefore not dangerous is someone who doesn't know what the diseases is all about. You don't need death as a measure of a disease. If a given disease paralyses you (e.g. Polio) or cause brain damage (measles SSPE), long term hospital stays, it is worthwhile to find treatments for it. And vaccines are the best way to do it for vast majority of people.

Drug companies make money from making medications and vaccines. So does that mean you will not take antibiotics when you are septic? Surgeons make money cutting, so I guess you won't get surgery for appendicitis? Radiologists make money reading MRI, so guess you don't want to get that MRI for your knee, or that cardiac MRI for your bad heart? What nonsense.

I have no problem with the scientific theory behind vaccines, but I do have some problems with their real-world application...

1.) Intellectual property protection granted by governments giving legal monopolistic market power to pharmaceutical corporations.

2.) Limited liability laws passed by governments limits corporate liability in the case of vaccine producers,to the point where a patient suffering from negative side effects from taking a vaccine cannot sue the producer.

3.) Government and private pharmaceutical corporate cronyism where politicians use their positions of power to push vaccination via the apparatus of government while potential ly profiting off of their actions at the public's expense. (Gardasil in Texa s)

Tbh vaccines are a scam. And besides, i'm to tall to get sick.

TB vaccines don't work well. See my post above. Not all vaccines work equally well, and not all are needed depending on where you live (e.g. Yellow fever). If the ebola vaccine is successful, you probably don't need one. But you shouldn't blanket all vaccines as one entity, because most of them saves lives or improve quality of life by preventing adverse outcomes. Lots of people die of obesity only in countries that have good sanitation and public health policies like vaccinations, hence low childhood mortality. So in those places kids rarely die, and live long enough to die from first world diseases from over feeding. During the pre vaccine era, the picture is much different.

Great point. As a physician and a scientist with a Ph.D. in immunology, I am appalled how much nonsense the public believes in. Then again, there is god and horoscopes everywhere we go. But that's another debate.

Don't mean to derail but MD PhD or MSc PhD and then MD? I will be graduating soon and I am scared as &^@#.

Vaccines work for most things. The reason to develop them is to rid of the most prevalent or dangerous diseases, for a given population. Not all of them work equally effective. But to reject outright all vaccines is plainly ignorant.

A person who says measles is not lethal and therefore not dangerous is someone who doesn't know what the diseases is all about. You don't need death as a measure of a disease. If a given disease paralyses you (e.g. Polio) or cause brain damage (measles SSPE), long term hospital stays, it is worthwhile to find treatments for it. And vaccines are the best way to do it for vast majority of people.

Drug companies make money from making medications and vaccines. So does that mean you will not take antibiotics when you are septic? Surgeons make money cutting, so I guess you won't get surgery for appendicitis? Radiologists make money reading MRI, so guess you don't want to get that MRI for your knee, or that cardiac MRI for your bad heart? What nonsense.

Everything and everything involves making a profit.

Can't avoid it unless you're living in the woods permanently.

Tbh vaccines are a scam. And besides, i'm to tall to get sick.

From select quotes and swearing in your own self righteous belief to...

it's a scam and smarmy sarcasm

The best thing about someone painting themselves in a corner is the shoe prints they leave on their way out the door

Attention anti-vaxxers reading this thread. Stop and read this post:

I remember missing a vaccine day at school (cant remember what vaccine it was) and got some note telling me to go take it at some other time (which I threw in the garbage).. and I grew up a normal human being without any vaccine preventable diseases. the whole vaccine Nazi crew really likes to exaggerate the threats in my opinion....

Now let it sink in that you're arguing on the same side as this guy, and re-evaluate your life choices accordingly.

haven't googled exact numbers but based on perception....

Vaccine complications are a real possibility

there is also a very small chance some of the consipiracy theories regarding vaccines actually being true...

but im quite familiar with the concept of herd immunity, and on an individual basis, your probably not taking a major risk by not getting vaccinated in a country like Canada.

Hurray for you! Now if you get one of those diseases due to the inevitable stupidity of the anti vaxxer crowd, you can feel it's full brunt as an adult and get the added benefit of being disfigured or worse!

Archived