The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Insanity of the Power-Play

Stormriders

he went a stretch of 6 games at the end of november where he got a bunch of PP time and did nothing with it and then got hurt. vs ducks he has 1 minute (we only had 1 pp he played half) then he played 1:21 of PP vs edmonton ,and then 1:28 vs chicago, and then 2:45 vs NJD ,then injured first game back in january he played 2:30 PP vs detriot then the next game 1:18 vs NYI then the next game 3:38 vs florida then he was taken off for a couple games and then put back on with another 1:20 of PP vs florida again

all this PP time came when he was struggling and willie gave him more ice time to see if that would get him out of the slump before he benched him... but i dont recall anyone being mad that kassian who was playing terrible at the time was getting those PP minutes then. but mind you i dont think many people noticed he got those minutes because he was invisible... for as many games as kassian has gone without PP time you gotta admit he must have gotten some PP time somewhere to average out to :35 seconds per game of PP time (which is damn near the NHL average length of shift)

and like i said the way he is playing im sure they will get him back in their but people are acting like hes never been.

Those stints can hardly be considered "a ton of PP time". Even if he didn't light it up during that brief time on the PP, he along with Richardson and Matthias were playing fairly well at the time. They deserved a chance while the current second unit has been dreadful offensively for a while.

Most importantly, Kassian and Matthias are on fire right now and deserve PP time over the Bermuda Triangle Of Offence: 20 - 7 - 51. Willie Wonka should be quicker to realize when something isn't working and change it.

So Kassian does nothing for 6 games but Higgins and Dorsett do nothing for 50 games and it's fine? Why does Kass get such a short leash when he's far more skilled then them.

He wasn't invisible, he was the net presence, what more could he have done in front of the net?

The reason he wasn't effective is because he should be on the half wall. His vision and passing skills are top notch and he should be running the 2nd unit from there.

This again falls on the coach not utilizing him properly.

haha first you say hes only played like 3 or 4 shifts on PP the whole year (which is completely wrong) and then when i show you exactly how much he played in a stretch and then you magically now remember all of it?? whatever you say pal. remember i never said he didnt deserve to go back up the way hes playing now, and i believe he will get another shot , but that doesnt change what he did with his PP time before.

here is the real problem with our PP anyways... sedins rarely draw penalties they are usually on the bench and one of our other lines with hard work and speed draw the penalty and the sedins come out fresh and usually take 1:30 of a 2 minute PP , the only time our second PP gets any real time is when there is a major like last night and we dont get those long PPs very often. so really anyone who skates out on that 2nd line PP is bound to look bad when you usually only have 30 seconds to gain the zone ,set up , and get a good chance on net.

i will also remind that i have never said anything about the guys on the PP so you getting all bent out of shape acting like im defending higgins and dorsett has come out of no where.

haha first you say hes only played like 3 or 4 shifts on PP the whole year (which is completely wrong) and then when i show you exactly how much he played in a stretch and then you magically now remember all of it?? whatever you say pal. remember i never said he didnt deserve to go back up the way hes playing now, and i believe he will get another shot , but that doesnt change what he did with his PP time before.

here is the real problem with our PP anyways... sedins rarely draw penalties they are usually on the bench and one of our other lines with hard work and speed draw the penalty and the sedins come out fresh and usually take 1:30 of a 2 minute PP , the only time our second PP gets any real time is when there is a major like last night and we dont get those long PPs very often. so really anyone who skates out on that 2nd line PP is bound to look bad when you usually only have 30 seconds to gain the zone ,set up , and get a good chance on net.

I'd like the 2nd unit to be switched up and to start some of the power plays until the Sedins start producing again. There's just way too much passing on the 1st unit and it's too predictable.

Maybe even putting Horvat on the 1st unit to win the draws then go in front of the net. He's a big body for the screen and is probably our best player in front of the net at putting in garbage goals besides maybe Burrows. That was his sweet spot in jr.

last time kassian got a ton of PP time he did nothing with it im sure he will work his way back into the second unit but people who think he has never gotten a shot are in dream world. but i guess putting kassian in for a bunch of games and have it not work and take him out is somehow not making adjustments in your mind?

kassian is 15th on the team in power play time.

for comparison, for every minute kassian gets, vey gets about 7, and clendenning has more PP time in 6 games.

kassian is 15th on the team in power play time.

for comparison, for every minute kassian gets, vey gets about 7, and clendenning has more PP time in 6 games.

Lol, just makes absolutely no sense to me how a guy that skilled on a 6 game point streak gets no pp time lately.

Sure it might motivate him to keep playing good, but sooner or later it's going to piss him off and it could backfire.

Lol, just makes absolutely no sense to me how a guy that skilled on a 6 game point streak gets no pp time lately.

Sure it might motivate him to keep playing good, but sooner or later it's going to piss him off and it could backfire.

That's basically what I just said in the Kassian thread. Treating a man like a rodeo bull isn't a recipe for success.

The PK is .5% off of the third best PK in the league so Hamhuis and Higgins do stabilize one of the best PK's in the league.

Dorsett has next to no PP time and is but a fringe PK contributor.

Slamming the coach because your beloved favourite player has a couple of good games is as productive as our PP.

You do realize that not everything is about kassian, right? And he is actually not my favorite player by a long shot. I just cant stand short sighted idiotic people who want to blame him for everything that is wrong with this team and dump him for nothing when it clearly wont help us us but actually hurt us to do so.

Our pk has been very strong all year but if you read what i wrote is that it has been suffering a bit since richardson and bonino have been out. Getting those guys to focus more on the pk and spreading out the offensive minutes plays much more into the rolling lines style this team needs to play to be successful as the chi game compared to the bos game certainly showed.

If horvat, matthias and kassian have not shown wd yet that he needs to go with the guys who are hot on the pp i am not inclined to think they ever will.

For a coach who likes to say all players need to earn what they get he sure is admittedly slow in following through on that. Its like he is waiting for them to cool off so he can justify not giving them an opportunity.

Vey, Higgins, and Dorsett have also shown wd that his faith in them on the pp is unwarranted at this point. But he is too slow in recognizing that too. All three should have played themselves off the pp already.

I think WD's honest and dead on, you point out burr who has been one of our best forwards for years outside of and injury filled season and players that weren't key players that were playing without intensity. The jumble of 5/5 is mostly due to injury.

WD has done what most Canucks fans were yelling for for years, he's been reluctant to shuffle lines and given lines time to develop and gel together.

The PP looks too slow and deliberate and he's been giving to time to find its legs but it hasn't and he's apparently ready to make some changes, I'd rather that then mix it up every few games if we don't score.

This

My thoughts exactly.

Archived