The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cable TV is speeding up its shows slightly to show you more ads

Lockout Casualty

if im gonna watch a show on tv, i just hit record and come back in 15 or 20 minutes and start watching so i can skip commercials.

i never watch commercials anymore.

adblock plus works great for the internet and youtube etc.

Thank you!

kinda suspicious of these 3rd party programs.. that either come with some type of virus, Extra add ons you don't want, or generally slow your computer down...

but since it received CDC endorsement, I tried it so far so good..

Yes people still watch TV, I'd rather watch shows that aren't old on live TV but I do PVR them.

Commercials don't matter any more since you can skip through them. "Internet TV" is garbage for when you can watch the same thing live but on a much bigger screen, Internet is only good for shows when you don't have that channel or when the show is not on TV anymore.

"Internet TV" can never replace watching a live sports game on a big screen TV with surround sound on.

Yes it can...Thanks to XBMC, Dish network, NBA pass, NHL gamecenter live. In fact, I never even watch TV since I have all these services that are able to show live tv for less than the overpriced cable package that has other useless channels in it. Another beauty is that I can use my tablet when am out to watch TV using these services. Cable TV should bite the dust now especially since there are lots of legal and illegal sites and softwares that are replacing them. Also with Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast and other devices that have wifi, there is no need for cable TV anymore. For local news channels, I use the good ol' HD antenna.

Don't even need cable TV for anything.

So true, I've got a subscription to NHL gamecenter and I never need a cable anymore. For Canucks games I unblock using a great software, ditto any other NHL games that might get blocked out. Its also more convenient since wherever I go, I could watch the Canucks games live using my tablet with only an internet connection. Cable tv doesn't offer anything like that and its ancient now thanks to broadband internet.

Cable TV is still a thing? Jeeze, I cut the cable long ago. No more commercials for me, except when I have to while watching Canuck games.

I only see it when I watch Canucks live. Although if am late from work and don't catch the game live, I watch the replay without any commercials.

Imagine if cable TV were more like Netflix, except with more selection. You can watch all shows/movies on demand (they would be uploaded the day of release), as well as live options for news and sports. No commercials (or less commercials), you just pay a subscription fee. You can choose each channel individually rather than in packages. This is something I would actually pay good money for.

They are too late to that party. I'd rather just spend big on internet then have internet and cable TV. Plus I cut off my telephone line too, and have VOIP. Spend a lot on internet but still spend less than if I had all 3 of these services. I have Magic Jack as my phone line that I could also take anywhere, plus I could listen to my voice mail using my smartphone or if am away from home.

Yes it can...Thanks to XBMC, Dish network, NBA pass, NHL gamecenter live. In fact, I never even watch TV since I have all these services that are able to show live tv for less than the overpriced cable package that has other useless channels in it. Another beauty is that I can use my tablet when am out to watch TV using these services. Cable TV should bite the dust now especially since there are lots of legal and illegal sites and softwares that are replacing them. Also with Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast and other devices that have wifi, there is no need for cable TV anymore. For local news channels, I use the good ol' HD antenna.

Whatever you don't like to watch TV shows on TV, well I do. I just record all my shows and if I do end up missing an episode I just watch it on something like PopcornTime or Netflix. I'm not at all against Internet TV but I'm saying that personally I prefer to watch stuff on my TV rather than stream it later online on my computer.

Why I cancelled my cable. I'm sick of ads. I already pay them a truck load of money for cable, and now I see product placement all over, and loud volumed obnoxious commercials, and now sped up shows? a bunch of greedy assholes the cable companies are, they think so highly of themselves.

Whatever you don't like to watch TV shows on TV, well I do. I just record all my shows and if I do end up missing an episode I just watch it on something like PopcornTime or Netflix. I'm not at all against Internet TV but I'm saying that personally I prefer to watch stuff on my TV rather than stream it later online on my computer.

As I said, there are also live streams available due to services like NBA pass, NHL gamecenter live, Dish network's streaming service along with other "illegal methods" like XBMC where you can have 1000 live channels streaming on your TV. So what would be the difference between cable and the services I mentioned?

I hate it when they shrink/speed up movie credits sometimes, but what I find most annoying is when they overlay graphics to advertise other shows for the channel.

I had recorded the Bourne movies a couple months ago, as I had never seen them before. The whole time it was on, the channel was promoting their "reality" crap with a simple graphic and occasionally with an animated graphic popping up. Drove me nuts.

With the 30-second fast forward button on the DVR remote, I don't care so much about the commercials that come up.

Yes people still watch TV, I'd rather watch shows that aren't old on live TV but I do PVR them.

Commercials don't matter any more since you can skip through them. "Internet TV" is garbage for when you can watch the same thing live but on a much bigger screen, Internet is only good for shows when you don't have that channel or when the show is not on TV anymore.

"Internet TV" can never replace watching a live sports game on a big screen TV with surround sound on.

Funny thing about having a gaming rig. I already have surround sound and an extra HD output. Crankin' up the old Star Trek comes in full blast, don't you worry!

OMG guys XBMC/Kodi...google it learn it...who still watches TV for anything other than sports and News. Also are people still downloading torrents really... Stream it. Half the shows I watch I have no idea which channel they are actually shown on. Seriously though check out XBMC/Kodi runs on a lot of platforms these days, you just have to learn how to use it.

And hilariously they are often the same cable companies that people are predictig the demise of.

You can't beat an Oligarcy THAT easily!

Thats why you go with internet providers like Techsavvy or other small ISPs instead of giant companies like Shaw or Telus.

OMG guys XBMC/Kodi...google it learn it...who still watches TV for anything other than sports and News. Also are people still downloading torrents really... Stream it. Half the shows I watch I have no idea which channel they are actually shown on. Seriously though check out XBMC/Kodi runs on a lot of platforms these days, you just have to learn how to use it.

I honestly don't even watch news or sports on cable TV since I have CNN, Al Jazeera, MSNBC, Bloomberg etc. on my XBMC, also have NHL gamecenter live for live sports which is only hockey. Plus I have Netflix along with Popcorn time and showbox, so I never download anything, ever. Plus Hulu, Spotify, Pandora along with youtube provide the rest of the TV shows and music that I want on demand. I don't even download music since I get spotify for $3/month and have it on my computer, ipad and smartphone.

As I said, there are also live streams available due to services like NBA pass, NHL gamecenter live, Dish network's streaming service along with other "illegal methods" like XBMC where you can have 1000 live channels streaming on your TV. So what would be the difference between cable and the services I mentioned?

Plus if you want a big screen, just use an HDMI

Archived