The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) FA ideas

Since there is no more trade deadline to talk about. There is the draft and Free Agent frenzy next. Looking at what the Canucks need, I think D is a must to look at this Summer.

At the draft, I think Higgins, Bieksa, Kassian could be trade bait to get some picks back. If we can trade Richardsons negotiating rights for a draft pick then great to. I also have said before I think we should ship out Miller. But doubt it happens. Either way a decent player I think or draft picks will come back from one of the goalies dealt... If moves like these took place we are looking savings in cap space. Especially if we moved Miller.

If we did have the cap space I'd like to see the Canucks pursue Cody Franson, Mike Green or Johnny Boychuk. Boychuk may be a decent shot with a relationship with Benning. Franson may also be a good shot as it would be a coming home. Also the youngest of the 3 and coming into his own. Green just for the fact that out PP is dismal. He is also having a solid year as well as he can put up to points and has grown on the defensive side.

Not much out there at the forward position but I'm excited to see what these kids can do. Dont wanna feed them to the wolves but let them start the season. But the likes of Chris Stewart or Jiri Tlusty would look good in a Nucks jersey.

Thoughts

To be honest I kind of disagree of your suggestion to go after D.

We need to build those guys around the draft. Jeremy Roy/Matthew Spencer are available where we pick most likely. We can easily get them and build around them as well.

We need to build those guys around the draft. Jeremy Roy/Matthew Spencer are available where we pick most likely. We can easily get them and build around them as well.

Not complaining with that either. We need D prospects. After Corrado we dont have anything really. BUT the names I mentioned could make a good short fix while we draft and develop?

Even if we did draft Roy (which i doubt we will) he won't play in the nhl for probably 3 years. I would try to clear some cap space from Bieksa, Higgins or maybe Burrows to sign Mike Green to get a true power play QB until we develop a prospect who can step in and play that role. I would also be open to franson because he's younger and from here, but he's less dynamic.

Even if we did draft Roy (which i doubt we will) he won't play in the nhl for probably 3 years. I would try to clear some cap space from Bieksa, Higgins or maybe Burrows to sign Mike Green to get a true power play QB until we develop a prospect who can step in and play that role. I would also be open to franson because he's younger and from here, but he's less dynamic.

This. Why can't we both draft and sign an offensive defenseman? By the time the drafted player is ready, who knows what the state of the current regime will be like? Of course if we can go for it now with the window closing we should keep the team competitive, and if that means bringing in an offensive D-man then let's get it done. This team pretty much has no puck-moving force from the back end anyways.

JEREMY ROOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Forwards: Joel Ward (Capitals), Jaromir Jagr (Devils), Erik Cole (Stars), Curtis Glencross (Flames), Eric Fehr (Capitals), Michael Frolik (Jets), Jiri Tlusty (Hurricanes), Brad Richards (Blackhawks), Drew Stafford (Sabres), Jarret Stoll (Kings)

Defencemen: Johnny Oduya (Blackhawks), Marc Methot (Senators), Lubomir Visnovsky (Islanders), Jeff Petry (Oilers), Barret Jackman (Blues), Zbynek Michalek (Coyotes)

Goaltenders: Jhonas Enroth (Sabres), Karri Ramo (Flames), Michal Neuvirth (Sabres), Viktor Fasth (Oilers), Josh Harding (Wild)

Yeah defence is the big issue going forward. I'd keep Edler, Tanev, Clendenning, Corrado, and possibly Stanton as either a 6th or 7th. I'm still really undecided on Sbisa, Weber, and Bieksa these days.

I could see Benning getting a few extra picks this draft but not as many as some people would want. He seems to think the 2016 draft could be deeper so he could just sit back. Either that or trade for prospects like Pulock or whatever.

I kind of see this season as one that Benning uses to see what he's got and to give the core a good chance to compete together before he makes his moves to make the team younger.

Archived