The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Canuck's Stanley Cup just making the playoffs?

Pete M

The remaining games now should be used to prepare for battle and getting into the mind set that the only goal is to win the Cup.

The team needs to start focussing on playing playoff hockey...the goal now is to win the cup, the rest will take care of itself...including making the playoffs.

The teams performance against LA...(I watched the game after the fact) was not playoff style hockey.

The team needs to play more physical in order to be ready for the playoffs. A player who turns away from a chance to hit someone is not playing playoff style hockey.

The mind set now should be playoff hockey. Every game is one game of a seven game series...nothing else matters...only the game the game they are playing to win matters...their mental game needs to improve...the LA game showed that they only want to make the playoffs...thats it,

isn't that the Question that the OP is asking?

We all know the cup SHOULD be the goal but the eway this team plays it seem more like what the OP says is closer to the truth

The question was put in the form of a metaphor so it all comes down to philosophical interpretation. I'd interpret the OP's " Their Stanley Cup " as the pinnacle or brass ring so to speak so I don't think in that sense the playoffs equals or substitutes as a "Stanley Cup".

Any team or organization that believes it can make the playoffs, more than likely believes they have a shot at winning it all. I would in all likelihood think JB and TL believe that if this team can make the playoffs, with a little luck and a few bounces their way, could win THE Stanley Cup.

I think people here are doing two things wrong. Number one is misinterpreting what the OP is saying. The Stanley Cup is a great achievement no doubt, but if we do make the playoffs this year that is also a great achievement considering we were 25th last year. He's not saying it's literally our only goal, but it is a very remarkable feat in comparison to the disaster last year. The goal is always the cup for every team in the NHL, but let's be realistic here. Once you're in anything can happen and I'll be hoping we do win it all. Is it possible? Yes absolutely. Is it probable this year? No not likely.

Number two believing what the general management says as the only goal for the team. It would look stupid for any team's management to state the obvious "Our goal is to win the Stanley Cup" and then have that expectation on the team for the whole season. If they don't get there they've shot themselves and the players in the foot. Management is all about just that "managing expectations to an achievable level". I'd say the goal of the playoffs is a pretty big ask in comparison to the train wreck of last season, but it looks like it's possible. No sane manager will ever utter the words "Our goal is to win the Stanley Cup" in public and if they do they'll be fired promptly at the end of the season if it doesn't happen.

Bottomline is in one year management has turned this team around into a playoff position and injected much needed youth into our line up without giving up huge assets and has made a goal of making the playoffs each year. Edmonton hasn't been able to do that in 5. So far so good. Rome wasn't built in a day, be patient. I have confidence we will get there in the next 5 years or so.

It will not be easy to get in, they'll need to play better than they have in months and WD will need to do a better job of getting something out of all the lines.

That said, if they can get in it will just be fun to watch what these guys can do with absolutely no pressure on them for once.

Well compare to last year's fiasco this is alot better to handle don't you think. This was supposed to be a rebuild ,transition period or whatever you call it. This team is suprising alot of us by contenting for a playoff position in which most of us were just happy to see improvement.

With that being said what can a GM and a coach do with the line up they were given to them from previous management. Ask yourself that question. This is your first year with the team . You can only do so much with a team with what you have in a lineup. It takes time to rebuild. W.D has done a great job IMO with his line up considering the mash unit he had to deal with in the last few month and still be able to keep the team fighting for second in the division. What did you expect when you lose over one third of your line up and a starting goaltender? Last year this team would have folded like a cheap tent under Torts.

Well compare to last year's fiasco this is alot better to handle don't you think. This was supposed to be a rebuild ,transition period or whatever you call it. This team is suprising alot of us by contenting for a playoff position in which most of us were just happy to see improvement.

With that being said what can a GM and a coach do with the line up they were given to them from previous management. Ask yourself that question. This is your first year with the team . You can only do so much with a team with what you have in a lineup. It takes time to rebuild. W.D has done a great job IMO with his line up considering the mash unit he had to deal with in the last few month and still be able to keep the team fighting for second in the division. What did you expect when you lose over one third of your line up and a starting goaltender? Last year this team would have folded like a cheap tent under Torts.

I don't understand why I consistantly hear that this team is in a transition/rebuild stage when the 4-5 years prior to last year this team finished 1st in the Northwest Division. If thats the case, I think that the team would of went on a steady decline in the standings over a couple of seasons instead of ONE year drop off where almost every players stats dropped off as well. I know we lost Kessler and Luongo but we also gained Vrbata and Miller. So I can't see giving this team as much credit as being true "underdogs" and Non-playoff contenders. Yes they are not as strong as the 2011 season but in no way do I see them as a non-playoff team with the likes of Edmonton and Buffalo.

Of course if a team makes the playoffs they are going to go all in and try to win.

At an organizational level, though, planning and team development is done over years, not a single season. If a team tried to trade and build just to win the cup that year, they would never build up to be a team with a real chance. It takes time and planning to develop players, bring in drafts, etc. to have a team that can compete to win the cup. It goes in cycles and it is perfectly legitimate to have a multi-year plan where there is no expectation of winning it all in each year.

I don't understand why I consistantly hear that this team is in a transition/rebuild stage when the 4-5 years prior to last year this team finished 1st in the Northwest Division. If thats the case, I think that the team would of went on a steady decline in the standings over a couple of seasons instead of ONE year drop off where almost every players stats dropped off as well. I know we lost Kessler and Luongo but we also gained Vrbata and Miller. So I can't see giving this team as much credit as being true "underdogs" and Non-playoff contenders. Yes they are not as strong as the 2011 season but in no way do I see them as a non-playoff team with the likes of Edmonton and Buffalo.

If you look at playoff results, they have been in a rapid freefall from 2011. They aren't in the same class as Edmonton or Buffalo but they are a long ways away from where they were 4 or 5 years ago. They are pretty much as average team with a chance to make the playoffs and not much more and that is just what you'd expect to happen with a team (peak, decline, build, peak, repeat). It is going to take 2 or more years to build back up the depth they need to be a top team again.

If you look at playoff results, they have been in a rapid freefall from 2011. They aren't in the same class as Edmonton or Buffalo but they are a long ways away from where they were 4 or 5 years ago. They are pretty much as average team with a chance to make the playoffs and not much more and that is just what you'd expect to happen with a team (peak, decline, build, peak, repeat). It is going to take 2 or more years to build back up the depth they need to be a top team again.

I don't quite believe the peak, decline, build theory. This team has been pretty competitive since the Nazzy years and they have consistently bowed out in the playoffs in the first or second round for quite a few years now. There was a bit of a downturn during the messier/sundin experiments but for the most part they have been quite competitive year in and year out. I can see the same pattern with San Jose where they have a very good team which on paper should do well in the playoffs but bow out usually in the first or second round. I see this team doing no better or worse than previous years in the playoffs because I have watched both a top contender and a team which squeezes into the playoffs both make it to the final( i.e. 94 and 2011 Canuck teams). Its a crapshoot for the most part.

I don't quite believe the peak, decline, build theory. This team has been pretty competitive since the Nazzy years and they have consistently bowed out in the playoffs in the first or second round for quite a few years now. There was a bit of a downturn during the messier/sundin experiments but for the most part they have been quite competitive year in and year out. I can see the same pattern with San Jose where they have a very good team which on paper should do well in the playoffs but bow out usually in the first or second round. I see this team doing no better or worse than previous years in the playoffs because I have watched both a top contender and a team which squeezes into the playoffs both make it to the final( i.e. 94 and 2011 Canuck teams). Its a crapshoot for the most part.

I would agree in the sense that they didn't crash deeply so, the decline and rebuilds over the last number of years haven't been hugely dramatic (compared to some teams). I would say they are definitely in more of a trough this year and last than in recent years though. I am not a huge believer in that it is a crap shoot once in the playoffs though. The number of true underdogs (i.e. not LAK) that go deep are still pretty rare.

Pat Kane's injury has helped to open it up a bit, that's a huge goal-scoring blow for Chicago to lose and they likely won't have him til the WCF (if they even get there). But even without him they're a pretty dam good team. Nash, STL, Chi, Ana, Minn now with Dubnyk hot, and of course LA if they make it. Even a team like WPG may be pretty beatable given their goaltending but they're whoever plays them is gonna pay the physical price and be a little worse for wear by the next round if they win.

The East definitely has improved this year, though. Detroit looks significantly better than a year ago, as do the Isles. IMO if you ask me MTL could actually be a bit of a wild card. Their PP is atrocious and their underlying numbers are weak as well. Of course Price is a pretty phenomenal goalie but the team's reliance on him concerns me a bit. If he falters they're not going anywhere.

Or if hes playing like Patrick Roy circa 1986 then just run him. Seemed to work for Krieder and the Rangers.

Archived