The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Have the lottery for 3rd Pick

I think it would be better if this same idea was applied to a higher spot like maybe 6th, 7th or 8th or something. That way its still a pretty crap team (not one that just barely missed the playoffs) that gets the highest chance of getting the 1st overall but it also inspires the bottom feeders to try their hardest to actually win games.

Edit: I like the idea of the bottom ten teams having equal chance to get the 1st overall pick. It'd be nice if we did a lottery for the top 3 picks too instead of just the 1st overall.

I think it would be better if this same idea was applied to a higher spot like maybe 6th, 7th or 8th or something. That way its still a pretty crap team (not one that just barely missed the playoffs) that gets the highest chance of getting the 1st overall but it also inspires the bottom feeders to try their hardest to actually win games.

Edit: I like the idea of the bottom ten teams having equal chance to get the 1st overall pick. It'd be nice if we did a lottery for the top 3 picks too instead of just the 1st overall.

Next year, my friend. Bettman's already put it in stone.

I think the best way to discourage tanking would be to have all teams who miss the playoffs have an equal chance at the pick.

Yes, this is what should be done if the NHL had any guts.

If you really wanted to dismiss the idea of teams tanking, then what about something like this?

The minute that a team is eliminated from the playoff race (mathematically eliminated) their games start counting towards the #1 pick. Each win is still worth 2 points, each loss gives 0, and the team with the most points towards the #1 overall wins it.

There are a number of advantages to a situation like this.

1) You can't suddenly just sell off all your assets and leave your fans to wait for next year, there would literally be a reason to cheer for your teams throughout the ENTIRE season.

2) The worst teams would still be encouraged to get better as opposed to the system as it is now.

3) The sooner you are eliminated, the sooner you can gain points for #1 so the extra time you have to gain points over "better" (stayed in the playoff race longer) teams acts as somewhat of a buffer towards simply being a bad team incapable of wins anyway.

4) The NHL can take some heat off of themselves for (for some unknown reason) picking the #1 team behind closed doors, the point system would be super obvious to anyone who cared to pay attention, and there would be no surprises.

This idea would at MINIMUM make tanking A LOT easier to notice, if a team was really stinking it up in the first half, but then suddenly were stringing wins together after they were eliminated, fishy no?

love it

Archived