The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Indiana's SB101 - Religious Freedom Restoration Act

Heretic

What does "American Atheist have to do with this? Are you suggesting them challenging special treatment of churches is hatred?

I have to prove that I'm not as bad as WBC, otherwise I am? Is that what you're saying here? Do you know of any atheist groups that go and harass people at funerals? No? How the hell am I supposed to prove a negative?

Religion isn't the problem but it's a problem, one of many. Humanity has few tools as effective at controlling, abusing, and regressing our society as religion.

Oh, I see now. Christians sure do hate when others are on equal footing with them in America. If they're not getting preferential treatment, it's discrimination and a war on religion Christianity. Like saying Happy Holidays.

Do you say that?

If you do, do you say that at Halloween? How about Valentines day? Mothers day? President's day? etc....etc...

And you're wrong - has nothing to do with "hating others with equal footing"...only WBC and anti-theists do that. :emot-parrot:

Yes. It's anti theist. No different than WBC.

They are "fighting" religion instead of just promoting being an atheist.

Big difference.

Just like government elections where they try to persuade the public with smear campaigns against the oppositing instead of telling us what they are going to do.

Get it?

It's a negative against a negative.

Uhhh, they're fighting FOR equality, not AGAINST religion. And they're fighting the government, not religion itself. How do you even say that with a straight face?

Yeah, there's no difference between arguing for a consistent tax code for non-profits, and little kids with "GOD HATES ????" signs at funerals.

So what smear campaign are they running here against religion? Can you show me some ads where they say stuff about religion? This is more from that same link:

In order to qualify for nonprofit tax-exempt status, any religious or secular organization must demonstrate it exists to benefit the public. After that basic element is established, religious non-profits are almost always declared automatically tax-exempt under the current IRC rules and definitions. However, secular non-profits face a lengthy application and a fee, which can be as high as $850.
Religious organizations and churches are treated differently from secular organizations. The exemptions are applied in a way that discriminates solely on the basis of whether an entity’s members express beliefs and practices accepted as religious. The IRS treats your organization better if you profess belief in a supernatural deity.
The lawsuit also covers discrepancies in how secular and religious organizations are treated in maintaining their tax-exempt statuses. Secular nonprofits complete Form 990 annually, which details information about finances, donors, volunteers, and personnel; the IRS estimates it requires 211 hours to complete the Form 990, which is then public information. Religious nonprofits are exempted from filing the Form 990, so there is no public record about their finances, donors, volunteers, or personnel.

Sounds to me like they're saying that, since they're playing the same game (even if on opposing teams) they should play by the same rules.

Do you say that?

If you do, do you say that at Halloween? How about Valentines day? Mothers day? President's day? etc....etc...

And you're wrong - has nothing to do with "hating others with equal footing"...only WBC and anti-theists do that. :emot-parrot:

Way to not address anything in my post. Does it become more true the more you repeat yourself?

Uhhh, they're fighting FOR equality, not AGAINST religion. And they're fighting the government, not religion itself. How do you even say that with a straight face?

Yeah, there's no difference between arguing for a consistent tax code for non-profits, and little kids with "GOD HATES ????" signs at funerals.

So what smear campaign are they running here against religion? Can you show me some ads where they say stuff about religion? This is more from that same link:

Sounds to me like they're saying that, since they're playing the same game (even if on opposing teams) they should play by the same rules.

Way to not address anything in my post. Does it become more true the more you repeat yourself?

Equality? What a joke:

Perry.jpg

I rest my case.

Society's coming to a place where there aren't too many places to sit on the fence. Both sides will eventually tug at/push you until you fall into one camp or the other.

This is very true however I suggest that people don't try and push me ether way on the topic of religion. My parents and my wife have tried and failed. Ive basically morphed into the freaking fence at this point.

This is very true however I suggest that people don't try and push me ether way on the topic of religion. My parents and my wife have tried and failed. Ive basically morphed into the freaking fence at this point.

Yeah, and that's your choice. I might not be happy with your choice, but it's not like I myself can do anything about it.

With the information you just provided, I have come to this conclusion:

Anti-discriminatory law comes from a society which was once highly discriminatory.

Now, either the culture had a change of heart, or someone influenced someone who influenced someone else, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Now I believe this rabbit hole of the main conversation has reached its end. Unless you have something to add, that is.

Anti-discriminatory law originates from a society which was once highly discriminatory AND seeks to rectify this disparity. In terms of sexual orientation, that disparity has yet to be rectified, mostly because of the Christian-influenced belief that being gay is a choice, and that it is a wrong choice. On that note, in the USA there is the archaic belief that Christian values take precedent over universal rights when dealing with law. For a lot of secularized nations, the chickens have already come home to roost on Christendom, but not in America.

@Lockout Casualty, @Dr. Strangelove: thank you for derailing this thread. When the inevitable lock comes, I will know where to assign blame!

That atheist.org is no different.

Which is why they should have the same rules apply to them in the tax code. :lol: : :D

I'm glad we agree!

Anti-discriminatory law originates from a society which was once highly discriminatory AND seeks to rectify this disparity. In terms of sexual orientation, that disparity has yet to be rectified, mostly because of the Christian-influenced belief that being gay is a choice, and that it is a wrong choice. On that note, in the USA there is the archaic belief that Christian values take precedent over universal rights when dealing with law. For a lot of secularized nations, the chickens have already come home to roost on Christendom, but not in America.

@Lockout Casualty, @Dr. Strangelove: thank you for derailing this thread. When the inevitable lock comes, I will know where to assign blame!

Why would this be locked? We're having good discussions here. There's only so much that can be said before you repeat yourself thirteen times.

I don't actually know if I've said it thirteen times. Maybe you're right. Crap.

Which is why they should have the same rules apply to them in the tax code. :lol: : :D

I'm glad we agree!

I agree, if they are a non profit agency helping others - yes.

Now you agree that they are anti theist and are no different than WBC.

I agree that any organization that promotes hate should lose it's status.

Now, just because I believe WBC should lose it's status doesn't mean that all churches should.

I actually took a look at it and I didn't see anything what I thought was out of line.

Feel free to link what you saw on there that's as bad as the billboards shown above

I did...look at their bill boards...smear campaigns all of them...

Their goal isn't to establish them as a good organization - their goal is to spread hate against all religion - yet the funny thing is - they are almost like a religion themselves...

K where did I derail this thread ?

I did...look at their bill boards...smear campaigns all of them...

Their goal isn't to establish them as a good organization - their goal is to spread hate against all religion - yet the funny thing is - they are almost like a religion themselves...

I just found the billboards I agree that a few of them definitely went over the line. That being said I would say that most of them much like most churches billboards aren't offensive in anyway

I agree, if they are a non profit agency helping others - yes.

Now you agree that they are anti theist and are no different than WBC.

I agree that any organization that promotes hate should lose it's status.

Now, just because I believe WBC should lose it's status doesn't mean that all churches should.

What?

That billboard is a smear? I don't know...

“There is evil prowling in the world – it shows up in our movies, video games and online fascinations, and finds its way into vulnerable hearts and minds,” Perry said in a statement following the president’s press conference. “As a free people, let us choose what kind of people we will be. Laws, the only redoubt of secularism, will not suffice. Let us all return to our places of worship and pray for help. Above all, let us pray for our children.

Seems pretty accurate to me.

Well sure, anti theists are the same as WBC in the same sense as the jar of pickles in my fridge is the same as a cake. They're both in my fridge. In terms of their actions, though? Let's not completely lose sight of reality here.

Sure, those organizations promoting hate should lose their status. I still don't see Atheists.org doing anything remotely hateful.

What?

That billboard is a smear? I don't know...

Seems pretty accurate to me.

Well sure, anti theists are the same as WBC in the same sense as the jar of pickles in my fridge is the same as a cake. They're both in my fridge. In terms of their actions, though? Let's not completely lose sight of reality here.

Sure, those organizations promoting hate should lose their status. I still don't see Atheists.org doing anything remotely hateful.

Yeah one or two billboards that I found stupid/tasteless but nothing outright hateful

Archived