The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Samuel Pahlsson announces retirement

Former Canuck Samuel Pahlsson calls it a career. Won a Stanley Cup with Anaheim in 2007:

Well-traveled checking forward Samuel Pahlsson has announced his retirement from professional hockey.

Pahlsson, 37, appeared in nearly 800 NHL contests with the Ducks, Blue Jackets, Bruins, Blackhawks and Canucks over an 11-year career, capturing a Stanley Cup with Anaheim in 2007 while emerging as one of the better defensive centers of his time.

Lauded as an underrated key to the Ducks’ championship — “he thinks he’s from Red Deer,” said GM Brian Burke, alluding to how the Swede played like a Canadian from the prairies — Pahlsson finished as the Selke runner-up to Rod Brind’Amour in ’07 and sixth in voting a year later.

Pahlsson last played in the NHL during the 2011-12 campaign, splitting time between Columbus and Vancouver. From there, he returned to his native Sweden and played three years with his former club, Modo.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/16/former-nhler-pahlsson-calls-it-a-career/

Gillis didn't make many bad trades but the ballard trade, the roy trade and pahlson trade were just so terrible that they overpowered his good trades.

Hodgson trade- we got kassian not bad considering how terrible cody is now

Luongo trade- we got Maitthas and markstrom which isn't looking all that bad now, espeicially considering we have lowered our chances of getting screwed over by lu's contract (I'm saying lowered cause of cap recapture)

Schnieder trade- we got horvat. No need to explain this one

Booth trade- we got cole cassels, who is looking like a great player right now.

All of those latter trades essentially got us younger while his bad ones made us older. But if Benning lets Maitthas walk for nothing lets just say, it will be disappointing given the way he was performing at the trade deadline, he could have fetched at least a second which we lost at the deadline.

Best of luck to Sammy Pahlsson.

One of the best pure shutdown centers to ever play the game imo.

He was outstanding in his short time here. Absolutely domininant in the playoffs.

He had 20.5% offensive zone starts, 41.3% finishes, faced by far the strongest quality of competition of any player on the team, was a plus 2 in 24 games. with 6 points in 19 regular season games and a goal in 5 playoff games. His corsi on was remarkably on -4.14 with that situational use - simply outstanding. His line was easily the team's best in his time here - unfortunate that his presence coincided with Daniel's concussion and a hobbled Kesler, otherwise he would have been a vital piece if the team were healthier.

Rock hard ride free Sammy.

Gillis didn't make many bad trades but the ballard trade, the roy trade and pahlson trade were just so terrible that they overpowered his good trades.

Luongo trade- we got Maitthas and markstrom which isn't looking all that bad now, espeicially considering we have lowered our chances of getting screwed over by lu's contract (I'm saying lowered cause of cap recapture)

All of those latter trades essentially got us younger while his bad ones made us older. But if Benning lets Maitthas walk for nothing lets just say, it will be disappointing given the way he was performing at the trade deadline, he could have fetched at least a second which we lost at the deadline.

But then we'd lose a valuable center. Vey isn't really doing great with faceoffs, but Matthias was/is.

He mailed it in for Vancouver, every sign, including his interview right after he got traded to Vancouver indicated he never wanted to be here.

That said, good player for Anaheim in their cup run

This essentially summed up his reaction after hearing about being traded here. However, he did what he was asked of, for the most part.

My biggest memory of him in a Canucks uniform was his game-winning goal against the Jets. I distinctly remember talking to a friend and we were making predictions on who was going to score the game winner and I mentioned that Pahlsson was going to get it, and lo and behold, he snapped it top shelf literally moments later haha.

Happy retirement Sammy!

But then we'd lose a valuable center. Vey isn't really doing great with faceoffs, but Matthias was/is.

Not really. Matthias has been playing wing almost exclusively, and is 44.9% in the faceoff circle when he does take draws. Not a strong faceoff guy, and not the best puck distributor either. More suited to wing with his speed and size and more finish than playmaking, but if he'd play a bigger, meaner game on the wing, it would help.

A summary like that which leaves out Ehrhoff, HIggins, Lapierre... is lacking.

He mailed it in for Vancouver, every sign, including his interview right after he got traded to Vancouver indicated he never wanted to be here.

That said, good player for Anaheim in their cup run

His interview sounded like he was less than thrilled - and perhaps had his eye on heading back to Europe already - but mail it in he certainly did not. He showed up and performed like a professional and was easily one of the team's best players in his short stint here.

Not really. Matthias has been playing wing almost exclusively, and is 44.9% in the faceoff circle when he does take draws. Not a strong faceoff guy, and not the best puck distributor either. More suited to wing with his speed and size and more finish than playmaking, but if he'd play a bigger, meaner game on the wing, it would help.

How is Vey comparatively to Matthias? Legitimate question. I don't have the numbers so readily, as you've demonstrated.

Those trades there is no debate that they were good trades. I was mainly talking about trades people said were bad, that 12 months later, don't look bad at all.

Fair enough.

It's also fairly easy for folks to hindsight deals years later. Really, in the context in which they took place, the Ballard deal was not a bad one, and the Roy and Pahlsson deals were decent prices relative to the market at those times, they simply did not re-sign here, otherwise they were pretty crafty deals considering what was available and what the team needed at those points in time.

How is Vey comparatively to Matthias? Legitimate question. I don't have the numbers so readily, as you've demonstrated.

Vey was slightly weaker at 42.8% - in fairness to him, he had his share of tough matchups particularly with Richardson out of the lineup.

But your point about re-signing Matthias is a good one regardless of whether he plays wing or center. Unfortunately, the team didn't really have the luxury of dealing him for a pick at the deadline - with guys like Kassian and Richardson out, Bonino having had some tough injuries to his foot (apparently fracture) from shot blocking and playing but probably not at 100%, they didn't necessarily have the healthy bodies to move someone for a pick.

I think they may still re-sign him, even if tight with the cap - but I think he'd have to be willing to come in at or below what Higgins and Hansen are making... I'd like to see Richardson back as well. Folks want to see a few guys moved to make room for young players - I think you move players when those young players come in and command a spot, not beforehand in order to make room for them.

Fair enough.

It's also fairly easy for folks to hindsight deals years later. Really, in the context in which they took place, the Ballard deal was not a bad one, and the Roy and Pahlsson deals were decent prices relative to the market at those times, they simply did not re-sign here, otherwise they were pretty crafty deals considering what was available and what the team needed at those points in time.

That's the thing about gillis, if you knew very little of what he did and just looked from the surface he seems like a terrible gm cause his public relations skills were terrible. But if you look at his work it was really something.

That's the thing about gillis, if you knew very little of what he did and just looked from the surface he seems like a terrible gm cause his public relations skills were terrible. But if you look at his work it was really something.

I personally think he was an exceptionally intelligent hockey mind - of course not all of his moves worked out (no one's do), but he had an excellent batting average, and imo always sound thinking behind what he was doing. I was always quite confident in his decision making, as I am in Benning's. Where Gillis' personality is concerned, I actually appreciated that as well, because from my perspective, Vancouver is riddled with a lot of media that troll their own franchise and market - I've always appreciated the snarl in Burke's disposition towards them, and the indiffference with which Gillis approached them, Of course there were exceptions in the media, but no shortage of annoying dimwits who, if merit prevailed, probably never would have landed positiions as journalists/columnists etc.

Archived