The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] 0 steps back, 2 steps forward

The Edmonton Oilers are evidence that "blowing it all up" or "totally re-building", isn't the way to do it.

It is clear that as a franchise we need to continue to get younger, build defensive prospect depth all while continuing to contend in the ever tough Western Conference.

Therefor I propose these offseason moves;

To San Jose:

Ryan Miller

Chris Higgins

Nicklas Jensen

2016 2nd round pick

To Van:

9th Overall Pick - (Werenski/Barzal)

Rights to Matt Irwin (UFA)

This deal is beneficial to San Jose because they are getting a proven starting goaltender, a forward prospect with decent upside and an experienced forward in Higgy. The Sharks will part with the 9th pick because of the edition of a young prospect like Jensen and because their core is growing stale and need the goaltending and surrounding players to get them another shot at the playoffs and ultimately the cup. Niemi is Unrestricted and Stalock has proven nothing yet. Miller allows San Jose to bridge the gap during their final years with this core and there re-tool, while still being competitive. Also cap space is not an object for SJ as they have 16 mill to spend.

To Pit:

Bieksa

Conditional 2016 3rd - (Becomes a 2nd if Bennett plays over 70 games)

To Van:

Beau Bennett

Obvious from playoffs that area of focus for pens is on d. Bieksa gives them another veteran presence to put back there with the likes of Letang, Maata, and Pouliot. Canucks get a prospect who hasn't panned out yet and has been sidetrack with injury, could be a valuable 2nd/ 3rd line guy for us next year, especially if he stays healthy. Bieksa will go because he wants to win.

Canucks either choose Burnaby product and offensive gem, Matthew Barzal or an elite, north american d prospect such as Zach Werenski.

With the 23rd selection I hope the Canucks will select Oliver Kylington, a promising d prospect out of Sweden who can be mentored by the likes of Edler and the Sedins.

Just like that our pool of d prospects goes from bleak to exciting.

As for other moves regarding our d for next year:

Trade Weber's rights as an RFA for a late round pick.

Sign Irwin as a depth defenseman - 2 years 1.5 million

FREE AGENTS:

Cody Franson - sign for 4 years 5.5 mill per.

- Overpayment, however what can you expect during free agency and this move gives us a #3/4 d capable of scoring and quarter backing the powerplay. Also makes up for lost goals from Weber. Canucks would have cap space from Miller deal (granted we let Matthias go).

2015-2016 Roster:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Bennett-Horvat-Vrbata

Virtanen-Bonino-Kassian

Kenins-RIchardson-Hansen

Vey

Baertschi

Prospects:

*Barzal* - either him or werenski

McCann

Shinkaruk

Gaunce

Cassels

Grenier

-This gives us some depth and options regarding players like Virtanen and even Shink if they prove they are ready. If not that isn't a problem as Baertschi or Vey will have made a leap over the summer and should be able to slide into spots up and down the depth chart. Also Barzal could give us a legit, high ceiling centre prospect with elite top line potential for the future. Barzal, Horvat 1-2 would be dangerous.

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Franson

Sbisa-Corrado

Irwin-Clendenning

Prospects:

*Werenski*- either him or barzal

Kylington

Tyramkin

Hutton

Subban

Cederholm

Pedan

-Werenski could turn out to be a top pairing d. Kylington should be top 4. Makes the future look pretty bright on the back end.

Lack

Markstrom

Don't see why this can't/ shouldn't happen. Thoughts?

How so? Giving up lots and they have lots of cap room to do so. Isn't that value similar to Schneider?

Maybe 2 or 3 years ago. You definitely won't get Irwin's rights. Only 3 or 4 teams other than VAN were interested in Miller, even less now with his cap. Teams scout, so they know what Higgins is up to. Nick Jensen is a slow-developing prospect.

Not really worth a 9th IMO, but not bad on the junior players available.

Just my 2c from here on down.

The Pittsburgh trade is half-decent, except Bieksa likely wouldn't waive (he's already taken a lower payday to keep this team together)

Franson is half-decent, but I don't think we should sign him just for the sake of getting younger.

Switch Baertschi and Bennett in the depth chart, and then switch Bennett and Vey.

It's not terrible, I've definitely done way worse, but I just can't see this happening. You may want to get a second opinion though.

Would you have traded #9 overall + Lapierre's UFA rights + Roy's rights for Backstrom, Matt Cullen, and Erik Haula?

It's similar value wise, just ponder that and convincingly say you would have traded that for a 35 year old average goaltender, a 3rd liner, and at the time, an average prospect?

Hypothetical aside, you say that this allows them to retool but they have to give up a top ten pick to do so?

Sharks trade we'd have to add. Miller's an okay starting piece, but if SJ wants to build for the future they'd want another 1st, and Jensen, while a decent young prospect, is like Sven, having lost some of the 1st round luster. I read in another proposal of Miller, 1st and Corrado which I think would match their wants better (they have 11 forwards incl. Wingels, Torres, Tierney, Nieto and Ben Smith signed plus Melker Karlsson as R.F.A., whom they'll re-sign given his decent season, so Higgins probably doesn't fill a need, whereas Frankie can probably be the #6 after Burns, Vlasic, Braun, Dillon re-signed and Mueller who didn't score much).

Pittsburgh probably can't even afford to get Juice without losing another vet (they've committed nearly $60 million to 14 guys). Unless they moved one of Kunitz/ Perron/ Scuderi+ and their hits they probably can't fit Juice in without only signing replacement-level guys.

Definitely in for the Franson signing (after moving Juice and Pizza somehow), we could use a big-minute offensive D-man. He didn't do very well when underutilized in Nashville but put up 32 points in 55 games on a crappy Toronto team's first pairing so he'd probably in his sweet spot on the second pairing here.

Why does SJ want Miller? Is he really that much of a upgrade over Niemi that its worth giving up a top 10 in a deep draft. I wouldn't think so. Adding both Higgins and Miller would put them right at the cap with the need to sign more players. Hertl is due for a big raise at the end of next season and I can see millers extra cap hit becoming a problem.

SJ is in real tricky situation. They really aren't a Ryan Miller away from being a cup contender. But they have enough skill to be to be fighting for a playoff spot. I don't think the situation with big joe allows them to go out and spend a great deal of money and give up assets for a goalie that isn't the complete answer.

Schneider was a different situation, he was a young goalie that is expected to solve NJ goalie situation for the next 10 years. Miller is hopefully still playing at his value when his contract ends.

Just because SJ is a team that Miller would possible waive to, doesn't mean that Sharks are interested or that they are willing to trade a significant future piece to acquire.

The Sharks laugh, hang up, then immediately block Benning's number. That's just terrible value for them.

Jensen doesn't have a ton of value. He can't even crack .5 ppg in the AHL. Just not very impressive. Doesn't look like he'll ever be a top 6 guy in the NHL. You might be able to get a late 2nd out of someone since he was a first rounder but that's about it. Think Baertschi but with even less value.

Doubt they have any interest in Miller. He's really not much better than Niemi at this point and even more expensive. If you want the 9th and they want a goalie it's going to be Lack. The Sharks look like they're going to rebuild and a young cheap goalie with promise looks a lot better than an old overpaid middle of the road at best starter.

Higgins is probably worth about a 2nd. Don't think the Sharks will be interested though. A 2nd line tweener on the wrong side of 30 just isn't that appealing to a team that's not going to be competing for a while.

If the Canucks had the 9th overall would you trade it for a similar package? I doubt it. To get the Sharks to even think about giving up a top 10 pick in a deep draft, you're going to have to offer up something better probably along the lines of at least Lack, 1st, Corrado/Shinkaruk.

Why does SJ want Miller? Is he really that much of a upgrade over Niemi that its worth giving up a top 10 in a deep draft. I wouldn't think so. Adding both Higgins and Miller would put them right at the cap with the need to sign more players. Hertl is due for a big raise at the end of next season and I can see millers extra cap hit becoming a problem.

SJ is in real tricky situation. They really aren't a Ryan Miller away from being a cup contender. But they have enough skill to be to be fighting for a playoff spot. I don't think the situation with big joe allows them to go out and spend a great deal of money and give up assets for a goalie that isn't the complete answer.

Schneider was a different situation, he was a young goalie that is expected to solve NJ goalie situation for the next 10 years. Miller is hopefully still playing at his value when his contract ends.

Just because SJ is a team that Miller would possible waive to, doesn't mean that Sharks are interested or that they are willing to trade a significant future piece to acquire.

Have heard talk even on 1040 about Miller to the Sharks as San Jose is desperate for a good starting goalie. Not just me who is saying it. Miller wouldn't be the answer, but he would be a piece to the puzzle and most likely would give SJ core one or two shots at a cup with the right additions after him.

Archived