The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler - ? (Open Proposal)

What exactly could we get for Edler ?

say we look to trade him straight across for a 1st round pick .

(ala Schneider for BoHo)

Reason being , I just re-watched all of our playoff games .

And could not keep track of how many bad decisions he made in his own zone ,

let alone the stupid stop up , & drop pass on the powerplay .

Its not just that he turns over the puck , it is more often then not they wind up in our net .

Anyway I just can't decide of the value of Edler , as it would change from team to team .

I don't believe he would be worth Philly's 7th overall .

Although they are always looking for that Defenseman for their team .

As well they are stacked with prospects .

(ie - Morin , Haag , Sanhiem , etc)

Would Colorado want to trade their 10th overall for him ?

That gives them a left shot pairing for Johnson or Barrie .

If not either of those teams , is he worth Dallas' 12th overall ?

Again another team desperate for D to help their allstar fwd's .

Looking further down the picks , there is Edmonton's 16th & Detroit's 19th overall .

However here is where I feel he is worth more than that to the other team .

Would we be able to get the16th/19th + a prospect ?

Please way in with opinions !!

Tough to say, especially considering getting picks in this years draft is going to be next to impossible. I think it's a unintended consequence of the salary cap that values young players on their ELC so teams don't want to trade away the next wave of ELC's. Teams, at this point in the year, tend to believe they can fill holes internally rather than give prime assets to fill a hole, and even then there are free agents for which teams don't have to give up a 1st round pick to get.

Yeah, there are exceptions. Schneider got traded. But New Jersey made the trade to shore up their goaltending for the forseeable future. Edler has his value but he's not a cornerstone at his position.

If the Canucks want a 1st for Edler it'll be a 2016 first I bet. And it's more likely to happen during the season when injuries or underwhelming performances force a team to trade for him.

What exactly could we get for Edler ?

say we look to trade him straight across for a 1st round pick .

(ala Schneider for BoHo)

Reason being , I just re-watched all of our playoff games .

And could not keep track of how many bad decisions he made in his own zone ,

let alone the stupid stop up , & drop pass on the powerplay .

Its not just that he turns over the puck , it is more often then not they wind up in our net .

Anyway I just can't decide of the value of Edler , as it would change from team to team .

I don't believe he would be worth Philly's 7th overall .

Although they are always looking for that Defenseman for their team .

As well they are stacked with prospects .

(ie - Morin , Haag , Sanhiem , etc)

Would Colorado want to trade their 10th overall for him ?

That gives them a left shot pairing for Johnson or Barrie .

If not either of those teams , is he worth Dallas' 12th overall ?

Again another team desperate for D to help their allstar fwd's .

Looking further down the picks , there is Edmonton's 16th & Detroit's 19th overall .

However here is where I feel he is worth more than that to the other team .

Would we be able to get the16th/19th + a prospect ?

Please way in with opinions !!

You want a 1st round pick, but then you trash the living daylight out of him? :blink:

I'm sure other teams will be falling all over themselves for a $4 million+ piece of that!

Tough to say, especially considering getting picks in this years draft is going to be next to impossible. I think it's a unintended consequence of the salary cap that values young players on their ELC so teams don't want to trade away the next wave of ELC's. Teams, at this point in the year, tend to believe they can fill holes internally rather than give prime assets to fill a hole, and even then there are free agents for which teams don't have to give up a 1st round pick to get.

Yeah, there are exceptions. Schneider got traded. But New Jersey made the trade to shore up their goaltending for the forseeable future. Edler has his value but he's not a cornerstone at his position.

If the Canucks want a 1st for Edler it'll be a 2016 first I bet. And it's more likely to happen during the season when injuries or underwhelming performances force a team to trade for him.

The Canucks can want one, but they won't get it. It's nice to want things.

Might be better to target an emerging contender, who has a good D-prospect, that's mostly developed. EG:Pouliot or Reinhart.

That team may need an exp'd D of Edler's age group. More likely he'd accept, as well.

I know you put an example abbreviation before the names, but you do realize Griffin Reinhart went 4th overall and Derrick Pouliot went 8th overall.

Not gonna happen.

You want a 1st round pick, but then you trash the living daylight out of him? :blink:

I'm sure other teams will be falling all over themselves for a $4 million+ piece of that!

A lot of teams value a Defenseman in his age group with his skillset .

I believe he is no good . Does not mean another team will ....

Pittsburgh traded Despres for Lovejoy... enough said .

Not even a little. If the Sabres gave up a first for him, I would blow a gasket. It would be free entertainment for all of CDC to watch.

PS - why do you think Eichel will wear #15 as a Sabre ?

I'd venture the guess of #11 is safer , as he has worn it more then any other number other than #9 .

(which he won't cause of Kane of course)

A lot of teams value a Defenseman in his age group with his skillset .

I believe he is no good . Does not mean another team will ....

Pittsburgh traded Despres for Lovejoy... enough said .

So since Pittsburgh did something silly, that means that other teams in the rest of the league will follow suit when it comes to Edler?

PS - why do you think Eichel will wear #15 as a Sabre ?

I'd venture the guess of #11 is safer , as he has worn it more then any other number other than #9 .

(which he won't cause of Kane of course)

Rookies in all sports are always on the poop end of the stick when it comes to jersey numbers. It would make a good YouTube video if Eichel went up to a vet and asked for his number.

So since Pittsburgh did something silly, that means that other teams in the rest of the league will follow suit when it comes to Edler?

I think out of 29 teams , someone will be interested enough to take a chance on him .

In my posts I never argued he was worth what is said .

Actually quite opposite , I suggest I had no idea of the value .

Was looking to have a conversation with other posters on perceived opinions .

And you have yours which is fair , and I respect that .

Another question in regards to buffalo .

How do you think Buffalo will look to get over the Cap floor this summer .

I believe its between 30-40M .

Do you think they would look at bringing Miller home to mentor a goalie for the 2 years ?

For you guys its about trying to reach that minimum & free-agency isn't that great this year .

Rookies in all sports are always on the poop end of the stick when it comes to jersey numbers. It would make a good YouTube video if Eichel went up to a vet and asked for his number.

I agree with you , which is why I asked why do you think he will wear #15 not #11 ?

I think out of 29 teams , someone will be interested enough to take a chance on him .

In my posts I never argued he was worth what is said .

Actually quite opposite , I suggest I had no idea of the value .

Was looking to have a conversation with other posters on perceived opinions .

And you have yours which is fair , and I respect that .

Another question in regards to buffalo .

How do you think Buffalo will look to get over the Cap floor this summer .

I believe its between 30-40M .

Do you think they would look at bringing Miller home to mentor a goalie for the 2 years ?

For you guys its about trying to reach that minimum & free-agency isn't that great this year .

The Sabres will do what they did last year. They'll overpay a pylon or two for the upcoming season to make it past the floor if need be.

The playoffs are unfortunately a pipe dream. The Sabres will be bottom 5 this year.

I agree with you , which is why I asked why do you think he will wear #15 not #11 ?

Your guess is as good as mine as to what his number will be in the end. His jersey at the draft will say '15 because it's the 2015 draft year.

Archived