The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fallout 4

Armada

On 1/5/2016 at 1:01 AM, Offensive Threat said:

In Sanctuary do all attacks on the settlement  come over the bridge? Ive had a couple now and I had just tossed a few turrets down on the bridge with a gate behind them and thats been enough so far.

No, there are at least 3-4 different spots Raiders can spawn; although I believe it is also dependent on your wall status - I had a giant wall up around the whole place during my first game and never ever saw Raiders at Sanctuary.

On 1/6/2016 at 7:27 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Dunno. I've noticed other places can be attacked from any direction tho.

What's the deal when checking your settlement details on your pipboy it will show misinformation like no food, or no water, or no defense, with the caution icon displayed. And when you arrive at your settlement, everything is fine. Is that a bug? Does anyone know what I'm talking about.

Also, bedding. Why is there supposedly a problem with bedding but you have more than enough and they're all accessible? 18 beds, 11 people, but some aren't being used and there's complaints about it.

9 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Pretty sure it's a bug. My pipboy says Sanctuary is bad all the time but it's fine.

It's a bug related to shops, if you don't build shops(ever) your settlements should be just fine. 

If Happiness starts to drop from this(It will, or it used to anyways) you'll have to stand around/sleep until it goes back up, or don't worry about it *shrug* lol

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 1:01 AM, Offensive Threat said:

In Sanctuary do all attacks on the settlement  come over the bridge? Ive had a couple now and I had just tossed a few turrets down on the bridge with a gate behind them and thats been enough so far.

They can come in from various locations.  Easiest just to make sure your defenses are higher than the sum of your food+water+power.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 2:52 PM, Gstank29 said:

how do you get more people in your settlement? I have a ton of small ones

Set up a radio beacon and turn it on. You only need to do this at one location - once people start coming in, you can tell them to move to a different settlement.

As to the question of how to make money off of a settlement, one other way is to set up water treatment plants.  The extra water gets stored in the workshop, which you can retrieve and sell off.

16 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Set up a radio beacon and turn it on. You only need to do this at one location - once people start coming in, you can tell them to move to a different settlement.

As to the question of how to make money off of a settlement, one other way is to set up water treatment plants.  The extra water gets stored in the workshop, which you can retrieve and sell off.

Huh. That's why I keep seeing water in my workshop.... Interesting, didn't know that.

I don't get the happiness. Sanctuary was up at 80% and now hovering around 50. I keep getting the usual "bedding is a problem" complaint, but all the beds are assigned to people, and I have about a half dozen more unused. I have excess food, water, defense. I place a lot of miscellaneous items as I think that helps. I have a lot of additional furniture. I have shops.

I notice that happiness plummets until I arrive then the down arrow flips right side up. Is this a bug too? I don't get why people are unhappy and then it suddenly goes in the other direction when I arrive. As long as they aren't rioting I guess it's not a huge deal?

On 2016-01-10 at 0:47 PM, Nail3738 said:

No, there are at least 3-4 different spots Raiders can spawn; although I believe it is also dependent on your wall status - I had a giant wall up around the whole place during my first game and never ever saw Raiders at Sanctuary.

It's a bug related to shops, if you don't build shops(ever) your settlements should be just fine. 

If Happiness starts to drop from this(It will, or it used to anyways) you'll have to stand around/sleep until it goes back up, or don't worry about it *shrug* lol

Er, so, it is a bug? But other settlements have shops and are doing a lot better.

On 10/01/2016 at 0:47 PM, Nail3738 said:

It's not related to shops, I can say that much. I don't know what causes the bug, but it happened to me multiple times before I even unlocked the local leader perk, or whatever it's called. It's one of the more bizarre bugs in the game, for sure.

I kind of hit a dead stop in playing this game not too soon after I finally decided to go to The Institute. I still have like 6 days of in game play on my save game file, so it's not as if I haven't poured a lot into the save and explored most things already, but there's just something about the way the main storyline starts to break down that I don't enjoy. I have no interest in helping the Brotherhood of Steel in their endeavours. The Minutemen only seem to have auto generated quests for me at the moment. So it seems like the only way to progress the game is to just start being a lackey for The Institute. Which I'll do, eventually, but it sucked the momentum out of my play through. Maybe I'll find actually like The Institute, I dunno.

I played around with the settlements for awhile, then realized it was just a distraction from the more fun (for me) parts of the game and that it really didn't matter beyond one particular trophy/achievement.  Now I just let them rot in their crappy little camps, haha. 

I try to keep the defenses up so they get attacked less often/never, but until they release a DLC that makes these things necessary for anything, I just don't care if they're not 100% happy.

That being said, I was able to pick up the trophy (spoiler alert):

Spoiler

by setting up a small settlement of six folks in Red Rocket.  Six mutfruit, a wooden shack with six beds, enough water for them, and five of the highest tier clinics.  Make one person work the mutfruit, and the other five work at one each of the clinics.  Then just plaster paintings on the walls, overbuild turrets, max out the size of the camp by building some wooden boxes, and go play the game.  Oh yeah, I also set up a generator and gave them a TV, a ceiling fan, another light & plopped a chair and couch in front of the TV.  Their happiness rises slowly and the trophy eventually pops.

On 2016-01-10 at 0:47 PM, Nail3738 said:

Yep. I've had a wall around Sanctuary since near the beginning, and I've never once had an attack there. It's basically where I try to send most of my settlers too.  It has some pretty basic protection with a fence and has never been attacked.

On 2016-01-15 at 2:54 PM, g_bassi13 said:

It's not related to shops, I can say that much. I don't know what causes the bug, but it happened to me multiple times before I even unlocked the local leader perk, or whatever it's called. It's one of the more bizarre bugs in the game, for sure.

Yeah, I get the bug myself and it's been a bug since before I even had a shop. It's not related to it.

On 2016-01-15 at 2:54 PM, g_bassi13 said:

I kind of hit a dead stop in playing this game not too soon after I finally decided to go to The Institute. I still have like 6 days of in game play on my save game file, so it's not as if I haven't poured a lot into the save and explored most things already, but there's just something about the way the main storyline starts to break down that I don't enjoy. I have no interest in helping the Brotherhood of Steel in their endeavours. The Minutemen only seem to have auto generated quests for me at the moment. So it seems like the only way to progress the game is to just start being a lackey for The Institute. Which I'll do, eventually, but it sucked the momentum out of my play through. Maybe I'll find actually like The Institute, I dunno.

I've basically stopped playing all together. I got really bored of it, and I'm not even that far after the part in the story where you go to the Glowing Sea. I haven't even met the main villain. I already know who he is though, so I don't care for spoilers.

6 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

I've basically stopped playing all together. I got really bored of it, and I'm not even that far after the part in the story where you go to the Glowing Sea. I haven't even met the main villain. I already know who he is though, so I don't care for spoilers.

I wasn't even doing the main quests for a while. I did the thing at the Glowing Sea, then went 3 days of gameplay (70ish hours) without continuing it, while having a lot of fun, and still playing the game with most of my free time. Then I continued that storyline, got into the institute, thought that it was cool, and that was about it. The structure of the story collapses after that, which is what I was trying to get at when i made my above post. I need to pick a direction, and head in it. Any direction, side quest, or faction related.

6 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

I wasn't even doing the main quests for a while. I did the thing at the Glowing Sea, then went 3 days of gameplay (70ish hours) without continuing it, while having a lot of fun, and still playing the game with most of my free time. Then I continued that storyline, got into the institute, thought that it was cool, and that was about it. The structure of the story collapses after that, which is what I was trying to get at when i made my above post. I need to pick a direction, and head in it. Any direction, side quest, or faction related.

For the settlement bug, I've been reading, and apparently it's related to TV's/Jukeboxes, or at least, that's what they've narrowed it down to this week, if there are any, whether you  made them or the game did, delete'em is what I'm reading.

I have to agree, looking back on my playthrough, I'm left really disappointed, the gameplay was fantastic, the story? The story was very, very weak when compared to either New Vegas, Or FO3 in my books, perhaps the DLC will Flush all of this out, but I don't think you can save how lame the end-game choices and factions really are. They all suck, they all leave you feeling empty, and all leave you feeling like the choices you made didn't have any kind of real impact on the world.

6 minutes ago, Nail3738 said:

For the settlement bug, I've been reading, and apparently it's related to TV's/Jukeboxes, or at least, that's what they've narrowed it down to this week, if there are any, whether you  made them or the game did, delete'em is what I'm reading.

I have to agree, looking back on my playthrough, I'm left really disappointed, the gameplay was fantastic, the story? The story was very, very weak when compared to either New Vegas, Or FO3 in my books, perhaps the DLC will Flush all of this out, but I don't think you can save how lame the end-game choices and factions really are. They all suck, they all leave you feeling empty, and all leave you feeling like the choices you made didn't have any kind of real impact on the world.

Elements of the story really work. I think there's a lot of good world building, and the best parts of the game play off of that. I think having a character come from a pre-world setting helped carry most of what made the game unique, as did a lot of the settings like Diamond City and the such.

It's funny that I'm complaining about the story structure collapsing being my greatest gripe, when I was clamouring for an open world game that didn't tell me what to do, but there's just something about the way that the story had changed the way it presented itself part way through the game, for the worse. 

I haven't gotten to the ending so as to complain about just how poorly thing x or y work yet. The game as it stands is starting to feel a bit like Dragon Age Inquisition, where I was in love with the game. Many major differences, like the combat in this game being fun, and the one in Inquisition being some of the worst I've ever seen in a game, but there's the same feeling here that I felt as I progressed in that game. I loved the storytelling, but elements of it began to break down, until the third act of the game was a lot of bland nothingness, and I zoned out as my favourite parts of the story were written away, or straight ignored. I mean it Dragon Age Inquisition was a surprisingly great game on the whole that I'd still recommend to anyone, but some of the flaws are overlapping here.

On that note though, I should probably get back to playing that Dragon Age game again. I'm sure there's a bunch of DLC out for it now, and maybe something that resolves that vague cliff-hangery ending, lol. I can't wait for Fallout 4 DLC either. Something that expands on the game. Hopefully something that adds more land to the small map the game comes with.

2 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

I just  need to do all of the story so I can say I beat the main quest. At least then if I never touch it again, I can say I beat it in one way or another. :lol:

8 hours ago, Nail3738 said:

Maybe. Anyway, I think for anyone still playing this and worried about it shouldn't be. It's only an issue when trying to get 100% for the reward. Some of my settlements are hovering around 30% but when I ask what's wrong, if anything, they always tell me nothing. Still getting excess in resources, caps from shops, assuming those are affected by being unhappy, in which case the people aren't even though the Pipboy says so. 

4 hours ago, yoshiyoshi said:

i found that the unhappiness related to lack of bedding or food even though you made enough was because you put them too close together and the npcs that went to use them would get stuck. moving stuff farther apart solved that for me

I think bedding too close can be an issue. I say can because some settlements they're squished like canned sardines and that's fine and other settlements they're picky bastards practically wanting their own room.

10 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I think bedding too close can be an issue. I say can because some settlements they're squished like canned sardines and that's fine and other settlements they're picky bastards practically wanting their own room.

Again, I'm still a low level (9), but I may be being far too nice. I have seven people at Sanctuary, each with their own house. They have one bedroom, a kitchen, a lounge and bathroom each. Mama Murphy gets all the drugs she wants, and my turrets appear to keep raiders at bay (never been attacked so don't know how efficient they are.

What's the best way of building up power? I construct windmills but they're gigantic, is there a better method?

Archived