The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In retrospect, would you prefer Linden to someone more widely respected across the league?

Hank Moody

Linden without a doubt. I'm in management and the guy you want overseeing your operation is someone committed to the organization's success and nothing else truly matters in the end. A guy like Linden is a Canuck through and through. You know a guy like that will take care of business. I'm solid with his selection.

Just an interesting debate I was having with a colleague this morning.

We all know Linden exemplifies Vancouver. He's been with us since 1989 and is our captain Canuck. He bleeds blue and green and nobody wants a cup more than he does in this city.

But then this thought crosses my mind: Linden is extremely loved in Vancouver, but what about around the league?

Hear me out. To us, Linden has been our hero for years. But let's not forget his resume - the former head of the NHLPA. Now I'm not going to assume it soured his relationship with any owners or executives around the league being on the players' side, but can we atleast admit it's a possibility?

On the flip side, a team like Tampa Bay brings in Yzerman who I'm SURE is respected as a legend league-wide, and it could definitely help them out just in terms of free agency, trade negotiations etc.

A franchise like Toronto who brings in Shanahan and now Babcock looks a whole lot more appealing to players AND executives who want to deal with them in the future

It's no secret how great of a job Yzerman has done for Tampa, and even Shanahan for Toronto thus far. How much does their reputation around the league account for that?

Let it just be known - I am not for or against anything linden has done so far. I like to let the big guys do their thing and judge the results on the ice. This is just for discussions sake

Would you have preferred to bring in a guy like say, a Scott Niedermayer or are you happy with a guy like Linden who we know bleeds for the team?

Thanks guys

I believe Linden has kindled a lot of respect throughout the league. With regard to doing his job, I must say that he has made some tough decisions about the team in the last year and he has proved that he is not afraid to be decisive. I like the fact that he is goal oriented; that tells me he and Benning have put a lot of thought into what they want and how they will get there.

We are told that it is evident from all the team rosters and info material posted on the walls in Benning's work place that he insists on being prepared and knowing what is going on around the league. Fans have been made privy by way of videos of what goes on in some of their strategy meetings. Trevor has to therefore feel confident about the job Benning is doing for the team.

Contrary to what some may say, the Canucks have a strong management team and deserve the opportunity to prove themselves. They are constantly being critiqued on every little move they make, but in fairness, time is the only important measure of how those moves work out.

INVHHO, the team is in great hands thanks to Captain Canuck.

Archived