The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In retrospect, would you prefer Linden to someone more widely respected across the league?

Hank Moody

Hey, I hate Toronto as much as the next guy,

but since Shanahan's time they've been able to bring in arguably the best coach in the league, flip Kessel for 3 first round-calibre assets, and shed themselves of what I thought would be an immovable David Clarkson contract.

I think he's done a fantastic job.

He paid a record amount for a coach that has 1 cup and 3 finals under his belt in a detroit system that...well was a Babcock creation; flipped Kessel with a bunch of retention for Kapanen and a few variables to a team with some of the most questionable roster moves/trades made in the last decade since Milbury was GM of the Isles

He also hasn't found a GM any goaltending or done anything but 1 draft without a GM.

Until he does something more than flip a bona fide scoring threat for a couple of promises or potentials or draft in the top 5 or even overpay for a coach

I wouldn't say he's done anything since he left the ice except for bungle the discipline role

Linden is our Yzerman. Sure, he's not as flashy and he's never won a Cup, but he bleeds black, red, and yellow (well, blue and green now) and he's a strong factor in the community. Everyone looks up to him, and he's still the heart and soul of this team. Even though he's still a bit of a rookie in the game, I'm happier with Linden than anyone else at the moment.

lol. I had to laugh @ "he bleeds black, red, and yellow (well, blue and green now)" You forgot white, salmon, and orange.

I don't agree with a lot of team decisions made since Linden became President. But I still think he doing a great job and is the best person for the job in this market.

Too many people here equate a critique of individual actions with total failure. One person says something negative, another piles on, and so on...... soon everybody ignores everything positive. Can't really complain about it though. That's the internet. It's just really stupid because people should know better by now.

Toronto hate is hilarious.

I hate Toronto just as much as the next guy, least favourite team in the league, but to deny that Shannahan has made some solid moves since he's stepped in is just laughable. He's finally taking that team in the direction they need to go in.

As for overpaying for Babcock. The Leafs are owned by MLSE. They have more than enough money to throw around, what seems like an overpayment to us is pennies in a bucket for MLSE. Paying him that much does nothing to hurt the team in any regard.

I hate Toronto just as much as the next guy, least favourite team in the league, but to deny that Shannahan has made some solid moves since he's stepped in is just laughable. He's finally taking that team in the direction they need to go in.

As for overpaying for Babcock. The Leafs are owned by MLSE. They have more than enough money to throw around, what seems like an overpayment to us is pennies in a bucket for MLSE.

But isn't steering the ship into the ground and replacing the coach just par for the course there?

The Yzerman comparison makes a lot more sense, since we see a lot of Holland in him, his trades, his contracts, etc. But all we've seen from Shanny so far is him crossing his arms while TO continues to fail and spend.

Anyway, it seems that Linden is taking us on a seemingly different journey. Destination unknown.

He is respected through the league. The players love him

And you know this how? Fact is that there are players around that can't stand Linden for the role he played in helping broker a deal to end the 2004 lockout that was a pretty clear win for the owners. A lot of player agents also believed Linden sold out to get a deal that would extend a playing career that would have been over if the lockout hadn't ended when it did. So there are some who most emphatically do not respect Linden. And as for whether or not the players love him, do you mean players like Eddie Lack, Kevin Bieksa and Zack Kassian?

Just an interesting debate I was having with a colleague this morning.

We all know Linden exemplifies Vancouver. He's been with us since 1989 and is our captain Canuck. He bleeds blue and green and nobody wants a cup more than he does in this city.

But then this thought crosses my mind: Linden is extremely loved in Vancouver, but what about around the league?

Hear me out. To us, Linden has been our hero for years. But let's not forget his resume - the former head of the NHLPA. Now I'm not going to assume it soured his relationship with any owners or executives around the league being on the players' side, but can we atleast admit it's a possibility?

Linden is highly respected around the league, & his role as President of the NHLPA would've had little to zero impact on his reputation...remember, it's a UNION & the players chose the lock-out...it's not Linden's fault. By that reasoning, both Yzerman & Shanny would have soured relations with owners & execs, as they were involved in the lock-out as well.

So no, it's not a really a possibility.

And you know this how? Fact is that there are players around that can't stand Linden for the role he played in helping broker a deal to end the 2004 lockout that was a pretty clear win for the owners. A lot of player agents also believed Linden sold out to get a deal that would extend a playing career that would have been over if the lockout hadn't ended when it did. So there are some who most emphatically do not respect Linden. And as for whether or not the players love him, do you mean players like Eddie Lack, Kevin Bieksa and Zack Kassian?

So what? Say half the people who were drafted before Rick Nash that aren't currently a Vancouver Canuck don't like the guy. That's what, maybe 25 players?

Linden is clearly respected, when he was hired players from other franchises were giving positive comments on how the front office has changed.

I think the OP should really be directing this post to Benning. Benning is the GM, he is the one who calls other teams more than Linden would. Remember Gillis was a former player agent, which probably affected his relationship with other GM's. Benning seems like he gets along with more people than gillis, so I sense something there.

As for overpaying for Babcock. The Leafs are owned by MLSE. They have more than enough money to throw around, what seems like an overpayment to us is pennies in a bucket for MLSE. Paying him that much does nothing to hurt the team in any regard.

Agreed, Toronto is in a much better position than we are right now.

Agreed, Toronto is in a much better position than we are right now.

Wow your nuts to come to that conclussion already. I remember when people on here said the same thing when they hired Burke. The real answer to who's in better shape between the Cunucks and Leafs can only be told in a few years and if I had to put my money on it, considering, oh the last 20 years or so I'll take the Cunucks. The way I come to my choice.... I think we have better structure and stability to create a winning culture far beyond Toronto.

Wow your nuts to come to that conclussion already. I remember when people on here said the same thing when they hired Burke. The real answer to who's in better shape between the Cunucks and Leafs can only be told in a few years and if I had to put my money on it, considering, oh the last 20 years or so I'll take the Cunucks. The way I come to my choice.... I think we have better structure and stability to create a winning culture far beyond Toronto.

I wasn't saying that so don't lump me into that group.

The Leafs have embraced a rebuild and now look at the young assets they have, on top of the ones they already had on there roster like Kadri, Gardiner, exc.

We got Horvat and Virtanen (though some question his upside) but look at what Toronto has been able to get at the top of the draft, Rielly, Nylander & now Marner have huge upside. Especially Marner, when your able to get a player like that there is reason to be excited.

Then Shannahan has made some nice moves like getting Martin Marincin for nothing, some of the signings they had last year paid big dividends, like Santorelli & Winnik, getting a first for UFA's and then getting more for a UFA Winnik than we did for either Lack or Kassian plus re-signing him this season was great.

And they could have another high pick, imagine how you would feel as a fan of a team with young players like Rielly, Nylander, Marner and say Matthews/Churcyun/exc. to look forward too.

Just an interesting debate I was having with a colleague this morning.

We all know Linden exemplifies Vancouver. He's been with us since 1989 and is our captain Canuck. He bleeds blue and green and nobody wants a cup more than he does in this city.

But then this thought crosses my mind: Linden is extremely loved in Vancouver, but what about around the league?

Hear me out. To us, Linden has been our hero for years. But let's not forget his resume - the former head of the NHLPA. Now I'm not going to assume it soured his relationship with any owners or executives around the league being on the players' side, but can we atleast admit it's a possibility?

On the flip side, a team like Tampa Bay brings in Yzerman who I'm SURE is respected as a legend league-wide, and it could definitely help them out just in terms of free agency, trade negotiations etc.

A franchise like Toronto who brings in Shanahan and now Babcock looks a whole lot more appealing to players AND executives who want to deal with them in the future

It's no secret how great of a job Yzerman has done for Tampa, and even Shanahan for Toronto thus far. How much does their reputation around the league account for that?

Let it just be known - I am not for or against anything linden has done so far. I like to let the big guys do their thing and judge the results on the ice. This is just for discussions sake

Would you have preferred to bring in a guy like say, a Scott Niedermayer or are you happy with a guy like Linden who we know bleeds for the team?

Thanks guys

Actually, Linden bleeds Black, yellow and red.

Archived