The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Update on NHL Expansion

Tigs

Based off of the 2000 expansion, each team is allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards.

The remaining players will be available to be picked by Quebec and Las Vegas.

Disgusting. They better change this rule. For starters, rookies should to be exempt. They should also make it so that the expansion teams MUST have players that are from free agency. I hate the idea of expansion teams poaching all their players from other teams, especially when there are plenty of players not signed in the NHL. They should also have a limit of how many players they take from a team. Two should be the maximum. I mean, with 30 teams, you could make a team by picking one player from each team.

Disgusting. They better change this rule. For starters, rookies should to be exempt. They should also make it so that the expansion teams MUST have players that are from free agency. I hate the idea of expansion teams poaching all their players from other teams, especially when there are plenty of players not signed in the NHL. They should also have a limit of how many players they take from a team. Two should be the maximum. I mean, with 30 teams, you could make a team by picking one player from each team.

If I'm remembering correctly, with the last expansion each team could only lose two players from the active roster, and could not lose both a goalie and a defense man (and could only lose 1 goalie maximum).

Vancouver traded Doug Lidster to the NYR in exchange for Vanbiesbrouck with the intent that he (Vanbiesbrouck) be left unprotected in the expansion draft, as Vancouver didn't want to upset their tandem of McLean and Whitmore.

Also, 1st and 2nd year pros were exempt from the expansion draft.

If I'm remembering correctly, with the last expansion each team could only lose two players from the active roster, and could not lose both a goalie and a defense man (and could only lose 1 goalie maximum).

Vancouver traded Doug Lidster to the NYR in exchange for Vanbiesbrouck with the intent that he (Vanbiesbrouck) be left unprotected in the expansion draft, as Vancouver didn't want to upset their tandem of McLean and Whitmore.

Also, 1st and 2nd year pros were exempt from the expansion draft.

plus, i think, once you lost a player, you could protect one more player.

Based off of the 2000 expansion, each team is allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards.

Thanks for the explanation! It would be interesting to see how the numbers will change..IF they change..with who teams can protect based on the depth of the league today. Finding at least a goalie of the future to start within 2-3 years probably won't be that hard.

There were obviously more rules. Any player on ELC's (basically all rookies) were exempt. We are talking NHL rosters here.

There wouldn't be one team not taking a loss.

IMO

Vancouver Canucks

Protected (9F, 5D, 1G)

F: Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Jannik Hansen, Brendan Sutter, Chris Higgins, Alexandre Burrows, Radim Vrbata, Derek Dorsett, Sven Baertschi

D: Alexander Edler, Dan Hamhuis, Chris Tanev, Luca Sbisa, Yannick Weber

G: Jacob Markstrom

Notable Exempt: Bo Horvat, Frank Corrado, Ronalds Kenins

Notable Unprotected: Brandon Prust, Linden Vey, Matt Bartkowski, Ryan Miller

Awesome thanks for that!

How would the NHL Entry draft work then? Would Las Vegas and Quebec get the 1st and 2nd overall picks?

Awesome thanks for that!

How would the NHL Entry draft work then? Would Las Vegas and Quebec get the 1st and 2nd overall picks?

In 2000, expansion teams were given the 3rd and 4th overall picks. In 1998, expansion Nashville got 2nd overall.

Archived