The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Preseason performances: reality vs business of what starting roster should be

TheRussianRocket.

The reality of the situation with how guys have been playing, this is what the opening night roster should be based off of performances so far. Unfortunately, it won't be it due to the business side of the game.

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows

Baerstchi - Horvat - Vrbata

Hansen - Sutter - Virtanen

Gaunce - McCann - Dorsett

Prust

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Weber

Hutton - Bartkowski

Sbisa, Corrado

Miller - Markstrom

...Remember management saying numerous times if a youngster impresses and shows they deserve a spot on the main roster, they'll make room for him? Sounds like a pr move more than anything because if they truly believe that, they should put the young guns on the roster as their play has earned it so far. At least give them the 9 games and then make a decision based off their play. Virtanen doesn't seem ready as a regular but coming off a shoulder injury, give him his games and see where he goes with it. Best to not rush him just because he's physically mature ala the Kassian treatment and be disappointed if he can't handle it and live up to expectations. McCann so far looks like he's more ready than him in that sense but again, both deserve their 9 games regardless.

And don't give me the "x,y,z players are better off in the Utica/minors because they'll get top minutes there compared to 4th line minutes in the NHL" because we all know the Canucks new direction, WD plays all 4 lines and our 4th line is given 12ish minutes per night which is essentially 3rd line minutes. aka, the scaffolding concept.

Bottom line, Vey stinks. He doesn't deserve to be on the roster but probably will because management doesn't have it in them to own up and put him on waivers. On defense, same with Sbisa. Makes horrible turnovers on a daily basis, contract is something else, and Hutton has already played better than him. Sutter's contract is something else as well and he's been pretty invisible in the preseason himself. He's best suited 3rd/4th C on our lineup. Gaunce has showed he's NHL ready and until Higgins is out, he can take his spot and be sent down when Higgy becomes healthy. Excellent 1st option to have in Utica and honestly, with the way the team is transitioning to, Gaunce could be a regular for us post trade deadline if they decide to deal Higgins/Vrbata. Bartkowski's slick skating and ability to move the puck up ice shows he's ready.

Despite all this, Sbisa has a pre-determined spot based solely off of his contract which management has to uphold and honour so they don't look like fools which all but seals Hutton's chances; maybe if Hamhuis is traded he can become a regular for us? Likewise with Sutter even though he's done close to nothing in the preseason will have a pre-determined spot and be given more opportunities than earned to succeed. And with Vey who they don't have the courage to let go of and say he's not a fit.

...especially sucks since the youngsters have had the best corsi ratings on our team, best 5 on 5 shot differential, and have made the biggest impact on the scoresheet. We're all sick and tired of the vets dogging it out and it's gone on for too long now. We've averaged a goal per game thus far in the preseason which is quite pathetic and already know the limits of our veterans. Prospects showcasing they have offensive ability and smarts, they could change that and give new hope for the next wave of Canucks. And Hutton's 3 assist performance against the Flames, only happened twice all of last year a Canuck dman had a 3 point night with Edler doing it both times. Contractually handcuffed with current guys on the roster but I'd love to see JB make room for these guys like he's said he would.

I'm guessing there are a lot of surprised young fans - pleasantly surprised.. I'm not sure where people got the impression that Benning is the type of man to blow pr smoke - my impression is exactly the opposite - that he's pretty much a straight shooter - almost to a fault - but I'd prefer that tbh. He's not walking on eggshells, overly concerned about fan reactions - his focus is on the bottom line - the product on the ice - not perceptions.

While I don't agree with the comments regarding Sutter or Sbisa (I think people will see what JB sees/saw in due course), aside from misjudging management, I think otherwise you had a good take on some of the young players and what the roster would/should look like - Hutton and McCann earning spots imo ought to make people rethink their impression of GMJB - he did what he said he was going to do - and beyond that, he stated clearly the need to get faster, and younger right from the get-go at the end of last season, and went about retooling the team to be exactly that.

Moving Bonino and Clendening, waiving Vey - all "Benning's guys", whom a lot of people thought would be shown favortism - he did what he had to in order to improve the roster - and I think he accomplished that in the process.

Regarding Bartkowski - agree again - I think a lot of people mistook/did not know what to expect of him - whereas Benning had an exceptionally good idea what he'd bring to the back end - and the need for his skillset. Not a decision based on his 'history' with the player, rather the knowledge he has. Bartkowski looks like an under-rated asset at this point.

I think it took managment some time to realistically position themselves where they had the flexibility to make some of the changes they are now, but it's sure nice to see.

+1 Oldnews. Good analysis post final cuts. In fairness to OP, the original post was before the final cuts.

The only exception I take is Bennings goal to get *faster and younger*....I would say faster and harder to play against. Both are true but he's not adding youth for youth's sake. The young guys show the distinct potential to make the team better this year.

Does anybody not think that McCann is harder to play against than Vey? Also, his offense is better, defense is worse but they're willing to let that go for 9 games at least.

Hutton definintely separates himself from Corrado.

Sbisa is definitely hard to play against which is outweighing the odd give away.

+1 Oldnews. Good analysis post final cuts. In fairness to OP, the original post was before the final cuts.

The only exception I take is Bennings goal to get *faster and younger*....I would say faster and harder to play against. Both are true but he's not adding youth for youth's sake. The young guys show the distinct potential to make the team better this year.

Does anybody not think that McCann is harder to play against than Vey? Also, his offense is better, defense is worse but they're willing to let that go for 9 games at least.

Hutton definintely separates himself from Corrado.

Sbisa is definitely hard to play against which is outweighing the odd give away.

Yes, and while the OP, pre-final cuts, expected quite a different outcome (essentially a prediction that 'reality' would remain the same), nevertheless had a good take on what it 'should' be - which isn't that far off what actually happened post-cuts - essentially my point in the first place.

I'd agree to a slight extent with your modification of what Benning said - although I'm not sure guys like Virtanen, Hutton or even MCann are "harder to play against" when not in possession. Hutton and Virtanen's upside are worth taking a chance on imo, whether their play without the puck is refined enough or not. I think the team has the wealth of two way veterans to complement them. McCann has been great - he has struggled in a few areas, particularly with decisions in the neutral zone - but there will be some growing pains.

I think Vey probably could have earned a spot - if he'd maintained the development trajectory of his past few years - but it looked pretty evident that he'd hit a plateau - didn't really look any stronger, didn't look any more mobile - still has that awkward stride and not particularly explosive first step. I think it was a gutsy but necessary move to expose him. Frankie is a harder loss, but that's the nature of the business - sometimes you have to sacrifice deeper down the roster to improve in more vital spots - as was the case with letting go of Bones and Clendening to get Sutter.

Archived