The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

12 countries reach Tran-Pacific Trade agreement

AlphaHoneyBadger

We live in a global economy.... no deal is ever perfect, but if Canada decided to back out of TPP, the other nations would probably care less.

Lots of trade agreements have been made between Canada's competitors with and Canada's target export markets. NZ and Australia making deals with South Korea and Japan...... whereas Canada took its sweet-a** time. The end results being Canada missing out on billions of dollars of deals.

I support the TPP. Sure, some things do sound scary like more import of dairy products.... but NZ is the "Saudi Arabia" of dairy.... and their standards are as high as here.

Quite frankly, I hope it does away with our archaic dairy board. It now costs around $40,000 per dairy cow. That in no way helps the small farmer. It keeps the privileged few in Canada rich. It's the same as the taxi system. The already rich can afford to buy licenses and anyone looking to get into the market is a slave to them. It's not even about who owns the farm or who is willing to put the work in; it's about who owns some arbitrary piece of paper from the government that says who can and who cannot milk a cow.

Quite frankly, I hope it does away with our archaic dairy board. It now costs around $40,000 per dairy cow. That in no way helps the small farmer. It keeps the privileged few in Canada rich. It's the same as the taxi system. The already rich can afford to buy licenses and anyone looking to get into the market is a slave to them. It's not even about who owns the farm or who is willing to put the work in; it's about who owns some arbitrary piece of paper from the government that says who can and who cannot milk a cow.

Some cattle are going for 55k each. Aquilinis own quite a few head.

Some cattle are going for 55k each. Aquilinis own quite a few head.

The numbers I was quoting were from a news article that was a couple of years old. In 2010 it was only $30,000 a head. That kind of price increase is absurd.

Why is a trade agreement with the words 'Trans Pacific' in it does not involve China? It's like NAFTA without the US.

The TPP involves a bunch of open trade practices that China is unlikely to sign on for. China is all about protecting its own market while exploiting others.

From the effects on internet freedom to the billions in corporate handouts the government will now be giving corporations, this is an awful deal and another example or Harper selling out Canada.

Free trade agreements generally limit subsidies (IE handouts) that a government is allowed to give to corporations. If anything this deal is likely to move Canada away from sectors that require large amounts of subsidies (Ex. auto manufacturing) into areas that Canada is genuinely competitive in (Ex. wheat and meat production). Prior to this agreement, it was very easy for other countries to slap random tariffs on Canadian agricultural products.

Will this deal actually be good for Canada? Who knows?

You should at least know why to criticize it though.

Good to know. Thanks... we should do the same.

Sure. All we need is to multiply our population by ten, eliminate working conditions and environmental rules, and generally scoff at trademark. Will need the army (and the nukes now that I think of it) to actually get away with it AND continue to do business.

Free trade agreements generally limit subsidies (IE handouts) that a government is allowed to give to corporations. If anything this deal is likely to move Canada away from sectors that require large amounts of subsidies (Ex. auto manufacturing) into areas that Canada is genuinely competitive in (Ex. wheat and meat production). Prior to this agreement, it was very easy for other countries to slap random tariffs on Canadian agricultural products.

LOLZ!!!! :sadno: You know where you are right?

I seriously doubt that pic is real...One of the libertarians main platforms is eliminating the Dairy Board:

https://www.libertarian.ca/platform/

"

• Eliminate the unfair price manipulation and quota system of the Dairy Board."

I got it off their official facebook page.

And I absolutely agree with eliminating the Dairy Board...but on Canada's own accord and terms, and not to do so under the condition and direction of a foreign body.

Was speaking of the news that the government will be giving 1 billion to auto manufacturers in order to compensate for the negative effects of the TPP on the auto industry. What good is moving away from weak sectors if we're still paying to support their lack of success?

Was speaking of the news that the government will be giving 1 billion to auto manufacturers in order to compensate for the negative effects of the TPP on the auto industry. What good is moving away from weak sectors if we're still paying to support their lack of success?

Ahhh..that's the continuation of the fund that already exists for automobile manufacturers. I'd agree. We should not be subsidizing that industry. The payments are just an extension of an already existing fund, and that would have gone on anyways. You can also guarantee that the NDP would have kept the fund going too, due to union loyalties. The Liberals would have kept it going due to Ontario loyalties.

Archived