The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

any good ramen spots in van?

Sly_Paragon

If anyone is looking for Ramen in Calgary, a friend of mine opened Shiki Menya. Haven't had the chance to go yet (only open for lunch, and usually a 30+-minute wait), but it's killing it in restaurant reviews.

http://www.shikimenya.ca/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/john-gilchrist-s-best-new-restaurants-in-calgary-this-year-1.2879808

http://www.avenuecalgary.com/Best-Restaurants/2015/Best-New/Shiki-Menya

4 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

MSG is fine. A little more salt than normal is fine. Menya on Broadway and Yukon is quite good. Authentic. 

A little more salt. Getting your full daily allowance in one bowl of Ramen is not a little more than normal. Its about 4 to 5 times more than normal. This type of mentality is what leads to younger and younger people having heart attacks.

14 minutes ago, Offensive Threat said:

A little more salt. Getting your full daily allowance in one bowl of Ramen is not a little more than normal. Its about 4 to 5 times more than normal. This type of mentality is what leads to younger and younger people having heart attacks.

Nah, that mentality leads to people being afraid of their shadows. 

I feel very sad for you if you think having a bowl of ramen will kill you. 

39 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Nah, that mentality leads to people being afraid of their shadows. 

I feel very sad for you if you think having a bowl of ramen will kill you. 

One bowl of ramen may not kill you or even several for that matter, but it's one of those foods that are too good to be true...I like to call it a "silent killer"

Seems healthy while looking at it with its vegetables, noodles, broth, meat, etc.. but it has more salt than approx. 4.5 McDonald's Big Macs.. Not to mention how much fat and what not is incorporated in one bowl. 

Don't forget people still eat breakfast, lunch, and snacks.. so the total amount of salt would be much higher.. 

A young person might think it's a healthier option than eating McDonalds when actually it's much worse.

Then don't get me started on the controversial MSG (yes I know Mcdonald's uses it too).. 

Long story short it tastes great, but it's crap in a bowl so to speak.. 

3 hours ago, Haikara said:

I find Benkei is affordable and the broth isn't too oily or salty. 

Yah Yah Ya in Richmond was a good deal too and everything can be customized (soft or hard noodles, meat leanness, broth oiliness, etc).

Santouka on Robson was overrated to me.

Agreed on Santouka...perhaps it was the 1 hour wait that killed it for me though. I actually prefer Motomachi Shokudo to Kintaro, it's just half a block down. 

3 hours ago, drummer4now said:

One bowl of ramen may not kill you or even several for that matter, but it's one of those foods that are too good to be true...I like to call it a "silent killer"

Seems healthy while looking at it with its vegetables, noodles, broth, meat, etc.. but it has more salt than approx. 4.5 McDonald's Big Macs.. Not to mention how much fat and what not is incorporated in one bowl. 

Don't forget people still eat breakfast, lunch, and snacks.. so the total amount of salt would be much higher.. 

A young person might think it's a healthier option than eating McDonalds when actually it's much worse.

Then don't get me started on the controversial MSG (yes I know Mcdonald's uses it too).. 

Long story short it tastes great, but it's crap in a bowl so to speak.. 

To each his own I suppose. I just find it weird that with all the other stuff like smog, pollution, drugs and lack of proper excersise just to name a few you'd be afraid of a bowl of noodles. The opening post wasn't about him eating a bowl for every meal. He just wanted to know where to get some good noodles.

12 hours ago, BradyBoone said:

To each his own I suppose. I just find it weird that with all the other stuff like smog, pollution, drugs and lack of proper excersise just to name a few you'd be afraid of a bowl of noodles. The opening post wasn't about him eating a bowl for every meal. He just wanted to know where to get some good noodles.

I'm a bit of a health nut, but I still like to enjoy a bowl of ramen once every few months - I have to live a little.

But drummer makes a good point, ramen is much more toxic than it is perceived to be. It's supposed to be a cheap and convenient meal, but it is served (and charged) like a delicacy in North America.

4 hours ago, Haikara said:

I'm a bit of a health nut, but I still like to enjoy a bowl of ramen once every few months - I have to live a little.

But drummer makes a good point, ramen is much more toxic than it is perceived to be. It's supposed to be a cheap and convenient meal, but it is served (and charged) like a delicacy in North America.

Haha if it was cheap, we'd have a lot more people eating it so maybe it's a good thing it's relatively expensive.

Archived