The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I'm Canadian.... Why are you?

Bertorama

14 minutes ago, Bertorama said:

I am saddened by where this topic went :huh: not because of the freedom of speech that occurred in the last five pages because heck  I asked for it. It was interesting  to read and informative with a lot of debate what more can a topic ask for? I think if there is a silver lining in anything it was Wow moment for me. 

What I've learned. 

1. There is a deep hurt about some similarities in culture and history of how Canada came to be and the people who suffered. 

2. It's not as easy as I thought to just be excited to be Canadian and light heartedly if not humorously (as I had hoped) to talk about ourselves. 

3. It's a different landscape geopolitically people have some angst and social media has changed us dramatically maybe for the good in my opinion. There is a lot more to debate and everyone truly has a voice. 

4. I am still immensely proud to be Canadian and no one can change my Mind!!!!

Eh!!

I think it has to do more with the lack of identity in Canada and its core make up so to speak.

Unlike the US we don't really have a de facto identity hence lack the of nationalism and patriotic spirit that our neighbours to the south proudly display. I guess it has to do with our diversity as a society and our multicultural approach aka non-melting pot. 

If you ask some people you would be surprised how many would first say they are proud to be: [any ethnicity, race, culture,etc..]  and then secondly canadian, whereas in the US people tend to be merica first so to speak. 

Archived