The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's time for the Canucks to learn something from the Comets

JustNazzy

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think Linden could help a lot in studying the loss of atmosphere in the new stadium compared to the old one...he played in both. Linden would know how to get the best out of his staff..increase positive interaction's somehow. Implement what good things he's seen in Utica. Take chances on the side of enjoyment of the event, not all security based.

Linden has nothing do do with the atmosphere or ticket prices. You can thank the owners for pricing and atmosphere. 

8 minutes ago, Me16 said:

Linden has nothing do do with the atmosphere or ticket prices. You can thank the owners for pricing and atmosphere. 

Vancouver as a city has had a VAST change in demographics in the last ~30 years. Greater Vancouver used to be a primarily Caucasian, blue collar area. Now we have a far more multicultural, wealthier and white collar demographic. 

Ticket prices are what the market will bear. Until quite recently that market was hot/prices high, keeping the shrinking blue collar demographic at home. White collar folks don't tend to be as 'roudy'.

Recent immigrants don't have hockey as deeply embedded in their culture either. So it shouldn't be surprising if they can, at times, be less 'intense' as fans.

That said, arena staff has had a tendency to perhaps keep too tight of a lid on the more boisterous fans in my anecdotal experience. Which doesn't help (and could likely also possibly contribute to keeping some blue collar fans away).

As President I think Linden has a lot to do with the day to day operations...he's visited Utica first hand and can see the correlative's at work here. 

For starters how about a camera and mic for whoever gets benched/or is injured to walk through the stands and give quick on the spot interviews with fans. Sometimes even Linden himself.

How about spot lighting hockey Dad's or wives with the ability to take photo's with them?

Where do I apply...

39 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Vancouver as a city has had a VAST change in demographics in the last ~30 years. Greater Vancouver used to be a primarily Caucasian, blue collar area. Now we have a far more multicultural, wealthier and white collar demographic. 

Ticket prices are what the market will bear. Until quite recently that market was hot/prices high, keeping the shrinking blue collar demographic at home. White collar folks don't tend to be as 'roudy'.

Recent immigrants don't have hockey as deeply embedded in their culture either. So it shouldn't be surprising if they can, at times, be less 'intense' as fans.

That said, arena staff has had a tendency to perhaps keep too tight of a lid on the more boisterous fans in my anecdotal experience. Which doesn't help (and could likely also possibly contribute to keeping some blue collar fans away).

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=929034

i disagree with the immigrant comment. as you can see, there is plenty that have embrassed hockey. the white collar agrument is more valid IMO. they even brodcast the games in Hindi becasue so many east indians have gone hockey crazy. The atmosphere problem has nothing to do with immigrants 

7 minutes ago, Me16 said:

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=929034

i disagree with the immigrant comment. as you can see, there is plenty that have embrassed hockey. the white collar agrument is more valid IMO. they even brodcast the games in Hindi becasue so many east indians have gone hockey crazy. The atmosphere problem has nothing to do with immigrants 

I only said recent immigrants and I also noted at times. 

A recent, wealthy immigrant unfamiliar with the sport who might be at the game more for business, status or because it's 'the popular thing to do' reasons, is likely to be less personally invested in the game than a local of any race who's been here multiple generations.

We have had a fairly heavy influx of the wealthy, recent immigrants demographic in to greater Vancouver. They make up part of the atmosphere or lack thereof.

This has nothing to do with "X race cheers less".

Just because someone might not cheer as loud as you doesn't mean that they aren't emotionally invested as fans. 

Being loud as a fan has nothing to do with your age or how long you have been a fan. It depends all on your personality and sometimes on how you were raised. 

I have been a fan on the game for nearly 20 years and I am just not a loud person. 

14 minutes ago, Toews said:

Just because someone might not cheer as loud as you doesn't mean that they aren't emotionally invested as fans. 

Being loud as a fan has nothing to do with your age or how long you have been a fan. It depends all on your personality and sometimes on how you were raised. 

I have been a fan on the game for nearly 20 years and I am just not a loud person. 

Maybe if you were louder we might win more?  Were you loud in game seven in 2011 when Burr scored in OT against the hated Hawks?  I bet you were.  That's why we won - you being loud.  Then in game seven against the Bruins I bet you were too quiet, and that's why we lost.  Clearly, for us to win you need to be LOUDER!B)

Archived