The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

2 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

It was stating why he wasn't a safe pick. You clearly don't know how to debate or make a point. Tell me how I was wrong?

You, or the other poster are not wrong; neither of you can be wrong.  It's an opinion.  You're both entitled to your own views.   I think Jake's pick was a PR move forced on JB by the owner.  Local boy, and similar to Neely.  It was to sell tickets.  Then the kid makes the team, and there are a bunch of Canuck's video people following him, and putting the videos on the Internet.  

• Upvote 3

Just now, Alflives said:

You, or the other poster are not wrong; neither of you can be wrong.  It's an opinion.  You're both entitled to your own views.   I think Jake's pick was a PR move forced on JB by the owner.  Local boy, and similar to Neely.  It was to sell tickets.  Then the kid makes the team, and there are a bunch of Canuck's video people following him, and putting the videos on the Internet.  

I think that's the same reason he was drafted too. I don't agree with the whole opinion thing though, some people are wrong whether they have their own opinion or not. Opinion is you like blue and I like red but if someone says in their opinion 1 and 1 is 3 then they're wrong. Not that I'm saying what we were discussing isn't opinion related, just a general statement.  Though I do think Jakes lack of hockey IQ automatically makes him an unsafe pick, the whole safe and unsafe pick thing is opinion and not fact. 

1 minute ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

I think that's the same reason he was drafted too. I don't agree with the whole opinion thing though, some people are wrong whether they have their own opinion or not. Opinion is you like blue and I like red but if someone says in their opinion 1 and 1 is 3 then they're wrong. Not that I'm saying what we were discussing isn't opinion related, just a general statement.  Though I do think Jakes lack of hockey IQ automatically makes him an unsafe pick, the whole safe and unsafe pick thing is opinion and not fact. 

Agreed.  Safe or not, there were many posters on message boards who wanted other players instead of Jake.  Regardless, I'm actually excited to Jake finally play when under 210 and fit.  If he is still awful, then he's a dud:(

• Upvote 3

Just now, Alflives said:

Agreed.  Safe or not, there were many posters on message boards who wanted other players instead of Jake.  Regardless, I'm actually excited to Jake finally play when under 210 and fit.  If he is still awful, then he's a dud:(

I really hope he turns its around I'm just not banking on it. I'm way too excited to see who we get this year though. And I'm beyond stoked on Dahlen. We've never had prospect depth and ceiling potential like we do now which is only a positive 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, monkey2 said:

I want Cody Glass at #5. Trade Taney for a mid first and a prospect. Then draft Pettersson, Kostin, or Yamamoto with the mid first. That is my dream right now.

Cody Glass is long term BPA at 5 imo.

How about we trade Tanev for 3 overall, and draft Makar and Glass?  Then we get a potential elite Dman and future number one centre?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

I really hope he turns its around I'm just not banking on it. I'm way too excited to see who we get this year though. And I'm beyond stoked on Dahlen. We've never had prospect depth and ceiling potential like we do now which is only a positive 

I think Dahlen was a steal by Benning.  I'm not so keen on Goldy, but I see Dahlen as a future top point producing forward.  JB did good with those two trades.  If one guy works out, it's a win.  Same as the draft - some guys do well, and others miss.  That's why I'm hopeful JB will (move Tanev?) get us more high picks.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think Dahlen was a steal by Benning.  I'm not so keen on Goldy, but I see Dahlen as a future top point producing forward.  JB did good with those two trades.  If one guy works out, it's a win.  Same as the draft - some guys do well, and others miss.  That's why I'm hopeful JB will (move Tanev?) get us more high picks.  

Absolutely agree. I like Goldy in the offensive zone but with Wilie benching him I think it killed his confidence, he's a guy that oozes with offensive potential but we might just have to live with poor D, and if he produces I'm fine with that. I really hope we move Tanev even though I'm a fan of his. We need to rebuild properly and it finally started at last years TDL and needs to continue

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

Horvat was definitely a safe pick, Juolevi is a safer pick than Virtanen but I don't know if I'd label him as that and Virtanen was certainly not a safe pick. 

I personally think Virtanen was a safe pick as well.  Especially compared to Ehlers and Nylander who everyone knew had higher ceilings but many thought they couldn't achieve it.  Soft Swedish perimeter player and small player who lit up the Quebec league which everyone stated was a notoriously easy league to put up points.  Virtanen in contrast was the lowest risk of those 3 especially because he had the tools to make it as a 3rd or 4th line player.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Hafizzle said:

I personally think Virtanen was a safe pick as well.  Especially compared to Ehlers and Nylander who everyone knew had higher ceilings but many thought they couldn't achieve it.  Soft Swedish perimeter player and small player who lit up the Quebec league which everyone stated was a notoriously easy league to put up points.  Virtanen in contrast was the lowest risk of those 3 especially because he had the tools to make it as a 3rd or 4th line player.  

Virtanen could shoot and skate but a lot of analysts didn't think his offence would translate because you can't just rely on a heavy shot in the NHL, it's hard to shoot picks by goalies just because you shoot hard in the bigs and that was most his goals in junior. I just think his low IQ is the biggest reason he wasn't a safe pick. I mean he easily profiles as a 4th liner if all else fails but I don't consider that safe. I don't think your opinions wrong though, you elaborated on why, which I always appreciate.  I'm not here to hate on anyone. 

5 minutes ago, Hafizzle said:

I wanted Ehlers one and Nylander two but I don't hate JB for going another direction. I'm not a big fan of his either though haha 

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

If we take either one of Mittelstadt, Glass or Heiskanen we won't regret it. 

Tolvanen will be this year's Larkin. 

You heard it here first. 

If we manage to get a pick in the early teens he would definitely be one guy I would hope we grab. 

2 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

I wanted Ehlers one and Nylander two but I don't hate JB for going another direction. I'm not a big fan of his either though haha 

haha I know what you mean.  I was trying to keep my post as neutral as I could so my feelings on Virtanen didn't come through.  Don't want to derail this thread into a Virtanen one.

Just now, Hafizzle said:

haha I know what you mean.  I was trying to keep my post as neutral as I could so my feelings on Virtanen didn't come through.  Don't want to derail this thread into a Virtanen one.

Yeah he's a lightning rod for sure haha. But back to this coming draft of Rasanen is available with our 4th I really hope we grab him. 

18 minutes ago, Hafizzle said:

This is exactly what I meant by Virtanen being safe, esp in comparison to Ehlers/Nylander at the time. Bigger Nhl body. 

Before Pitt won with speed, this is what teams wanted in a winger.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

I think we have been relatively safe with our 1st round picks the last few years (Horvat, Virtanen, Juolevi). With #3 through #11ish being somewhat of a crapshoot more than ever longterm, I would like to be less safe this year and pick Makar if available. Not just his game, but in watching some interviews, he seems highly intelligent and comfortable, and screams Karlsson special to me.

In my opinion Juolevi allows this. IF it works, and they become a future first line pairing,  Juolevi allows Makar to take high risk/reward gambles up the ice. We are missing this player. We have some somewhat one dimensional wingers, that will need the puck quickly as they might not be the types to get it themselves based on strength along the boards. We would have the ability to be a 4 man breakout with Juolevi playing safe. This would also take pressure off of Juolevi as a point producer...he could just play his steady game. 

Ideally if we also got the #3 pick in a Tanev trade, I think Vilardi/Glass is safe and very suited to our current prospect pool.

At one point Vilardi was one of the players I did not want, but my tune has changed if we get two top 5 pics.

I don't see Middlestat or Petterson being playoff performer types. If we had a #8-9 pick then fine, but not in top 5. I'd take Petterson over Necas or Middlestat. Heiskanen is way too safe and similar to Juolevi, possibly superior, but still too similar. Liljegren reminds me of Pouliot, and that scares me.

#5 Makar

or if Tanev + trade for #3,

#3 Makar (now one of Glass/Vilardi is guaranteed)

#5 Vilardi/Glass 

Yo, where have you been?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Way to calm down the situation Alfie!!!  

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

As long as Green doesn't stick him with Sutter or if he does let Goldy dictate the offensive flow and Sutter can find the open space and be on the receiving end of Goldys deceptive passes for a one timer

• Upvote 1