The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dear Mom, by Bobby Ryan

Fortunately my Parents despite they had a bitter divorce (Which leads me to believe they really loved one another, which is why it was so painful for them), we as the kids did not suffer much for it. It was made worse because my Dad fooling around with the neighbours wife. We were good friends as kids with my Step brothers and sister. My Mom was a Nurse and she worked so hard to pay the mortgage, keep us fed, make sure 3 kids had decent clothes for school. We just didn't have luxuries like a car. 

But my Mom made sure we never were lacking for anything. If we had ski lessons at Grouse, we got them. We went to all our school functions. It's funny he's mentions the pizza place, because my Mom and I had a pizza place where she'd have a cheap steak, and veggies, and I had pizza. The only time I was stuck in the middle was when I got braces. The agreement was my Dad would pay, but they'd split the refund from her medical coverage. As my Dad never paid alimony she just kept it. But they never took it out on me. 

(I never blamed Dad, he had 3 Step kids to pay for as well)

I was able to still see my Dad once week, as as I grew older we'd talk and I'd learn more about my Dad. He'd feel remorse and regret that we didn't have a proper family. But I was smart enough to let my Dad know that I loved him and Mom and it was probably better that way instead of them fighting like cats and dogs with us around. 

I'm just happy we lived at a time where my Mom as a nurse could work and earn enough to raise us kids. She did work seasonally in Steveston at BC Packers, filling in part-time now and then. I don't know how parents do it now even when they are together. 

Sounds like Bobby's Mom was an amazing person. I'm glad to see how well he turned out as a hockey player and as a human being.

Lots of luck to Bobby, and his little girl and family. I hope Riley is as a great a person as her Grandma. 

Archived