The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yakupov - Realities of a trade

12 hours ago, Mustapha said:

Racism? Sorry, but no.

Imagine you went to go work in Russia and everyone spoke Russian except for one other person who happens also be a Canadian who speaks your language.

You don't think it might be natural to bond with this person? I mean, not only can you actually communicate with this person, but you would also share the experience of coming to work in a foreign country not knowing the language. I would think it would be stupid NOT to befriend this person.

They might have some insight on how to adjust, because you know,  they have already done it.

It has nothing to do with 'racism', Jesus Christ.

Btw, Canadians can be plenty racist.  Affirmative action programs are government mandated racism, but that's a topic for another thread.

Well first of all.. Yakupov speaks perfect English. So your example is not going to hold much water, and he played Junior in North America and playing in Edmonton, it's not like he is fresh off a boat. So this language barrier example is just BS.

The ability to share working in a foreign country is true of any non-American and maybe non-North American at worst, so also Europeans and any NHLers from non-traditional hockey countries. 

I understand that calling it racism is exaggerating a fair bit, but honestly, what was being said was being said out of ignorance... And as an immigrant, I don't need you to tell me how racist (and hypocritical about this fact) many Canadians can be. Same as any other country, which is why the whole "Cultural Mosaic" nonsense irks me.

4 hours ago, NucksCelts said:

You can't compare you going to st.louis to a Russian going to a strange far land. 

fine, ship me to zurich. ship me to paris. ship me to hamburg. ship me to antwerp. 

the point remains the same. 

2 hours ago, tas said:

fine, ship me to zurich. ship me to paris. ship me to hamburg. ship me to antwerp. 

the point remains the same. 

Those are much closer culturally to North America than Russia.  It's still not comparable, especially since a there's a decent amount of English speakers in all of the cities provided. 

The problem isn't the quality of life, it's the overall culture shock.

2 hours ago, tas said:

how about zagreb? would that work for you?

Youre reaching now. The point is, the two cultures are radically different. They way we feel about Russia, they most likely feel about us. Family, friends, all your comfort, so far away. These kids ain't robots, they're exceptionally talented humans. 

Archived