The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Splitting The Twins Finally Viable?

xereau

27 minutes ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

Hmmmmmmm.... Interestinggggg, Dam we're Going to have a sweet team when Virts/Boeser/Jollie ect.. step into the line up

also This is Burrows last season with the canucks, so no point planning a Bo - Burrows line for next year 

Erikson Bo Boeser
Sedin Sutter Sedin

tasty

I like that

Our lineup could realistically be something like this:

Eriksson-Horvat-Boeser

Sedin-Sutter-Sedin

Baertschi-Granlund-Virtanen

Rodin-Gaunce-Hansen

Juolevi-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Stecher

Markstrom

Demko

That means we could trade Edler in the summer and/or Miller and Burrows at the deadline. I would be ok with Burrows coming back on a cheap one year deal though but to fit in where?

I am not yet convinced Rodin will pan out (no way to tell yet). But even if we lose Sbisa in the expansion draft but Boeser and Virtanen can step in and contribute and our young players keep moving forward, that's 4 pretty solid lines. A couple of more elite level top 6 players away from not needing to rely on the Sedins as the go to guys anymore. Might even be able to get one or two quality young players back if the Sedins are traded next year to a cup contender along with a return for Edler.

That roster might need a few upgrades to be a true playoff quality team but if the young players continue to progress we are in decent shape overall.

I already made this OP observation in my post in the PGT of the Av's game.

Before I get into my analysis... The Sedins are GREAT players... and can still contribute... but they need to be handled differently than they were when they were younger.

The situation is Willie is one year behind as usual... last year he played the Sedins together in the 3 on 3 OT all year, and they were toasted by the opposition because of their lack of speed.  This year, he split them up... and miracle of miracles... we are winning the OT's.  ;)

The fact is, the Sedins on the same line are too slow for most opposition teams... some they can deal with, but when the other team is fast, no chance.

What the Sedins can still do is pass the puck... but lately they have reverted to a very static game... no more of them crisscrossing, back and forth, picking the opposition, etc.... now they tend to stay in the same place and that renders them ineffective.  They need linemates who are dynamic and moving who they can hit with passes.

One Sedin on a line is great... two is too many.

Even on the PP, they are too static.

I think a change would do them good... they would be forced to improvise and experiment, and since the Sedins are both very smart guys, whose highest skills are located between their ears, it would force them to think creatively.

Daniel is too slow for Henrik to hit with the long breakaway... with the current setup its always Sutter.  But if Henrik has two fast scating targets he can hit, he will have the opportunity to spring them loose a lot more.

DO IT WILLIE.

I too have been saying to split them up quite a bit lately. It just seems like a good time to give it an extended try. 

Daniel is an underrated passer (always being compared to Henrik will do that) and could find Horvat and Burrows who are both pretty good at quickly getting to open shooting areas. Henrik has another center to take tough draws and two guys to do the defensive heavy lifting. Daniel has the same on the other line.

It just feels right now.

I have always said the biggest insult to the Sedins is the insinuation that they can't play apart. I think it might actually energize both of them and make the rediscover some creativity offensively.

Archived