The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buying Used Car without Pre-Purchase Inspection

kjames05

Hey All,

I just had an offer accepted for me to buy a 2014 Hyundai Accent with 60,000kms on it. The car is still under warranty for three more years, has a clean Carproof, and the guy is going to show me all the service records (of which he says nothing drastic has happened with the car. I haven't seen them yet).

My question is, is it worth spending the $100+ on an inspection when given everything I listed above? I drove the car for about 15 minutes ranging in speeds from 10km/hr to 80km/hr and it runs like my brand new Civic.

best thing to do even if you go to a dealership is stop at an ICBC office and pay to get the cars history

i told a friend this and went with him and asked the dealer if the car had a lean he ignored me and guess what my friend the idiot not listening paid an extra $3,000 because he wouldn't spend the $50 to get papers on the car

might be a bit more now I do not know, but you need the make,model and numbers on the dash

pay the extra you never know btw

Thanks for the responses gents. Forgot to mention I live in Alberta (originally from Van), but I doubt that really changes anything. I'm leaning towards not getting the inspection. The Carproof is completely clean: no accidents, no damage claims, no liens, not registered anywhere but in Alberta.

50 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

best thing to do even if you go to a dealership is stop at an ICBC office and pay to get the cars history

i told a friend this and went with him and asked the dealer if the car had a lean he ignored me and guess what my friend the idiot not listening paid an extra $3,000 because he wouldn't spend the $50 to get papers on the car

might be a bit more now I do not know, but you need the make,model and numbers on the dash

pay the extra you never know btw

Lol you can do that online.

Depending on the price of the car, NOT only ICBC but carpoof or carfax as well.

Also taking it to a shop to get it legitimately inspected and tested driven by a professional mechanic is a no brainer. 

Get the mechanical inspection. They can't catch everything but they can catch things you might not think to check. I bought a car I didn't get a BCAA inspection on and ended up spending a lot of money on repairs. I loved the car so it wasn't that bad but still, you never know. Also, if there a few minor things it might allow you to negotiate a better price.

Archived