The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

Gradin is ridiculously over rated. He found, Edler through random luck. Don't reckon he deserves credit for Sedins, since they were labeled donkey blue chip prospects. Ohlund maybe..i cant be sure. but that is what he has accomplished since 93-94....

the guy is just lame as delorme.

Gradin is ridiculously over rated. He found, Edler through random luck. Don't reckon he deserves credit for Sedins, since they were labeled donkey blue chip prospects. Ohlund maybe..i cant be sure. but that is what he has accomplished since 93-94....

He's also the one that said to draft Jannik Hansen in the 9th Round

Edler was luck? Yeah, how lucky of him that he accidentally said the words "draft Edler"

Edited by Gnickers87
  • Upvote 1

What is so special about Hansen? Players of his caliber are easily available. he has third line potential written all over him, nothing more. If i recall correctly, Edler's coach was a friend of Gradin, and alerted him that Red wings were coming to scout Edler.

Rahimi, Froshaug are also credited with being Gradin specials. sine 94 when he signed on with Vancouver, these are the players Gradin has delivered.

This hype given to Gradin can be warranted if he is able to deliver another player of edler's potential. Till then lets at least try and be objective.

What is so special about Hansen? Players of his caliber are easily available. he has third line potential written all over him, nothing more. If i recall correctly, Edler's coach was a friend of Gradin, and alerted him that Red wings were coming to scout Edler.

Rahimi, Froshaug are also credited with being Gradin specials. sine 94 when he signed on with Vancouver, these are the players Gradin has delivered.

This hype given to Gradin can be warranted if he is able to deliver another player of edler's potential. Till then lets at least try and be objective.

I don't think it's an issue of how special a player Hansen is, the fact that he is an NHL level player is enough. Rarely have the Canucks ever had late picks pan out, so some credit is due. Though you are correct, it's not as if Gradin is the best scout ever. It's more of a situation where he's managed to produce more NHL calibre players with arguably fewer picks at his disposal than Delorme managed to produce with the majority of the picks.

• Upvote 1

It's not that Hansen is destined for super stardom, it's the fact that he's one of the last 9th rounders and is an NHL player right now. If we could draft someone like Hansen every late round, it goes a long way to building organizational depth.

I agree to an extent, he's a good scout, but I wouldn't classify him as "great" yet in my books. The praising is largely due to the fact that he has actually delivered some promising talent with the prospects from the area he is responsible for. When that contrasts with the incompetence of our scouting in other areas, he's made to look really good in comparison.

Overrated? Sure by some on this board. Competent? I would say so, unless we are proven otherwise with a string of busts.

Edited by falcon

Exactly, if Hansen becomes an everyday 3rd Liner in the NHL, that's pretty darn good for a 9th Rounder.

He also had 21 points in 55 game last year, which projects to 39 points over a full season. Hopefully he'll get to play more games next season like he should have been this season, rather then getting scratched in favor of Pyatt and Hordichuk.

Edited by Gnickers87

Thomas Gradin is acknowledged throughout the NHL as one of the best assessment gurus of talent in Europe. Your resume in this area includes....?

Rodin could be the sleeper of the entire draft. You.....simply asleep. :)

Is Gradin our Chief European Scout, or is he just our Swedish scout?

it could be argued that Gradin also discovered Brunnstrom since the canucks were apparently trying to sign him before he had his breakout season in the SEL

Gradin is an Associate Head Scout, along with Ray Payne, with a focus on Sweden while Payne is the OHL scout. The other European scout is Sergei Chibisov (Russia, likely the reason we drafted Shirokov, Kablukov, Koltsov and other Russians like Gladskikh and Topol) I believe Branislav Pulis (Slovakia) is no longer is a scout. (He was the reason we picked Bliznak in the 7th Round 2005)

The question is then whatabout Finland, Czech Rep. etc., do we even have scouts for there? My guess is no, we haven't drafted a Finnish player since Markus Kankaanpera (2000) and Czech player since Mensator (2002)

Edited by Gnickers87

Your arguement is somewhat valid, some people on here will just use Gradin as an excuse to justify the pick. i do believe it doesn't matter, if ISS rated him 15 then that's good enough for me, and i only used the fact the Gradin probably scouted him as a reason to calm myself down that we didnt draft someone like Eric Gelinas, who, ironically enough, was the pick immediatly after him. People going nuts over Ferraro and Tatar need to STFU and accept it. Tatar may have lit up the WJC and Extraliga, but he has a long way to go before making the NHL, if he turns out to be a superstar, then it will be because Detroit developed him correctly, not on talent alone. Ferraro had no chance in hell of falling to us. I don't know the the frack the Islanders didn't draft him and took koskinen of all people, when he probably would have been there for their next pick. It would have been great publicity, seeing as Ray played for the Islanders.

Why do people suggest Hansen is a career 3rd liner?

He has the potential to be a top 6 forward with great 2-way ability.

He has great speed, a nice shot, and good 2-way ability. Not to mention he can dangle very well.

He has to nice of a shot, that happens to hit the crossbar flat on everytime. :lol: