The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Sharks @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

I don't see Edler as a physical player.   I do see Guddy , Sbisa  and Tree though as that.   Yes, KOS likes d-men that have a nasty side to their game.

That's why I said Edler "can be physical" and "can be offensive".  That side of the game has been disappointing.  When he was suspended a few years ago, it mostly ended.  

How does one classify Edler as a player anyways?  He is pretty good at lots of things.  Good enough to be our de-facto #1 and highest minute D but probably closer to a #3 in reality.  He doesn't really fit my argument but he can do things.  I wouldn't say he is not physical.  Nor would I say that he is not offensive.  He lays out the body sometimes and his last goal against Calgary was awesome.  The way things are now, he's more of a place holder until Juolevi is ready.

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

Good for the Sedins, but they are being paid to produce as a first line and are given prime PP minutes and prime ice to perform. 

Others don't get the same opportunity...it's either produce or get the f&%$k out of my way.

More times than not, this year, they have not met the challenge asked of them. It shows in their stats especially their "+/-".

Someone else mentioned...the fare well accolades tour for the Sedins is getting tired when the team is failing and it will continue next year as well.

To top it all off, JB's plan is to resign them because the Canucks owe them...ffs, the Canucks don't owe them a thing because they are being paid $7 Million per year...if anything, they owe the Canucks for the opportunities given to them.

They were undersigned during their prime years to accommodate additional pieces during the cup runs. Their current contracts are as high as they are to make up for that disparity. That's how much of a team mentality they have - we're lucky to have them. Let's not pretend like their 7M contracts are currently barring us from competing for the Stanley Cup, we're years away from that. 

And I'm all for resigning them... at a decent price of course. 

13 hours ago, Rush17 said:

he's better then Willie I hope. he turned down an assistant gig few years ago. wants to be the big cheddar.

And just how is Green better than WD? Please justify that ridiculous statement.

Willie was offered the job of Assistant Coach to the Canada Men's National Team.

Willie won 2 WHL Championships with MHT never failing to get into the Playoffs in each of his 8 seasons.

Willie WON the Calder Cup in only his second year in the AHL with a group of nobodies.

Willie has BEEN an Assistant Coach in the NHL with Dallas Stars

Willie was so well thought of as a Coach by Pat Quinn that he took him as an Assistant Coach to coach the Canadian team to the WJIHC gold medal.

Willie in his first year as Canucks coach with a less than stellar injury riddled team came 2nd in the Pacific with 101 points and a win % of .616

Green WAS TURNED DOWN by Calgary in favour of Willies assistant Glen Gulutzan. He also failed to get considered for the Ducks post of Coach.

Meanwhile Willie WAS OFFERED the Pens coach job and TURNED IT DOWN to take the Canucks job.

If we lose this talented and well thought of coach I think we will live to regret it and it will mainly be down to the wave of ignorance in this fan base, (who seem utterly unaware of what factors can affect a team's performance) clambering to have him fired and consequently forcing the owners hand - imo.

He has a done a sterling job maintaining a Wild Card position in both this and last season, while playing exciting hockey most nights, only to be finally dragged down by key injuries, lack of skilled replacements and ageing and underperforming vets failing to last the pace.

9 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I don't see Edler as a physical player.   I do see Guddy , Sbisa  and Tree though as that.   Yes, KOS likes d-men that have a nasty side to their game.

It's fine you look at a guy now and say "I don't see Edler as a physical player" Maybe he's not AS physical as he was but we are talking about a guy who instilled fear in any opponent who mistakingly thought they were up against a young soft Swede.

Edler still churns out 27 mins of skill, toughness and compete on this team and that isn't easy when you have a collapsing forward group who play "light" in front of you including the ageing Twins.

Edler would easily have been a top pairing guy for most of his career and imo he still would be with the right line partner. He doesn't get enough respect on here by people who seem to sit and wait for him making a mistake so they can come on here and discredit him. Even now the facts show our chances of success diminish when he is injured and out of the team. All I can say is Juolevi will do well to match his skill set and his career.

10 hours ago, guntrix said:

They were undersigned during their prime years to accommodate additional pieces during the cup runs. Their current contracts are as high as they are to make up for that disparity. That's how much of a team mentality they have - we're lucky to have them. Let's not pretend like their 7M contracts are currently barring us from competing for the Stanley Cup, we're years away from that. 

And I'm all for resigning them... at a decent price of course. 

Sedins are given prime ice 5vs5 and top minutes on the PP.

Others aren't given as much opportunity as them...if the Sedins aren't producing, then others should be given more prime ice.

It must be nice to get paid big bucks and not have the expectation of having to produce...sweet heart deals usually sink organizations in the end.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

Sedins are given prime ice 5vs5 and top minutes on the PP.

Others aren't given as much opportunity as them...if the Sedins aren't producing, then others should be given more prime ice.

It must be nice to get paid big bucks and not have the expectation of having to produce...sweet heart deals usually sink organizations in the end.

Who else are we going to give "prime" minutes to other than the Horvat line? The Sedins, despite their decline, are still up there in points produced/60. The sooner you see that we're a shallow team, the easier it will be to ackowledge that the Sedins are not the problem. 

Again, their current deal is a consequence of the Sedins taking less in their prime years to accommodate a cup run. They could have very well rejected that and pushed for a very justified 8 million per. Without that sacrifice, we may not have had Ehrhoff, Samuelson, etc. It's not a sweet heart deal, it's monetary recompensation. 

6 hours ago, guntrix said:

Who else are we going to give "prime" minutes to other than the Horvat line? The Sedins, despite their decline, are still up there in points produced/60. The sooner you see that we're a shallow team, the easier it will be to ackowledge that the Sedins are not the problem. 

Again, their current deal is a consequence of the Sedins taking less in their prime years to accommodate a cup run. They could have very well rejected that and pushed for a very justified 8 million per. Without that sacrifice, we may not have had Ehrhoff, Samuelson, etc. It's not a sweet heart deal, it's monetary recompensation. 

The problem is...as you pointed out...our top line is not good enough, which the Sedins are on.

Archived