The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] DAL-VAN... The 3rd Overall Pick

20 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Dallas is a team that should have been in the playoffs this year. They have a few holes in their lineup and if they can fill those holes they could do some real damage. Benn and Seguin are in their prime and they also have Spezza who can provide good secondary offense for a few more years. They have some offensive defensemen in Klingberg and upcoming Finnish defenseman Honka, but they need someone who can take the heavy minutes away from them. They also need a quality starting goaltender, as their tandem of Lehtonen and Niemi are overpaid sieves playing behind their defense. A third overall pick is years away in making an impact on this current Dallas team and I think this proposal is enough to entice them to trade it.

To Dallas

D Chris Tanev

G Jakob Markstrom

CLB 2nd (52nd overall pick)

To Vancouver

G Kahri Lehtonen

DAL 1st (3rd overall pick)

*Assuming Columbus gives us their 2nd round pick and Nolan Patrick and Nico Hischier are not available at 3rd

The Canucks give up a lot but have the 3rd and 5th overall picks at the draft and can turn the franchise around with two top prospects. Draft a potential offensive #1D and a big offensive centre? Or draft two big offensive centres and have one of them play on the wing? Or select a highly skilled offensive centre and a big offensive forward? The combinations are endless and will fill two big positions at the top of the depth chart for the Canucks.

For example:

With the 3rd overall pick the Canucks select D Miro Heiskanen

With the 5th overall pick the Canucks select C Gabe Vilardi

Thoughts?

I posted a trade like this in another thread, but after I thought about it, I am not positive it works for Dallas.

They might rather ask LV to take one of their goalies off their hands in ED and throw them a decent pick for their troubles.

I do wonder though if Dallas is hunting for a quick fix?

I do wonder too if the free agent class of goaltender is really going to do it for Dallas either?

Ben Bishop had an off year and if you look at it, Ryan Miller was really the best goalie (last year) who is a free agent this summer.

Dallas has two 2nd round picks this year, I think, so maybe they throw the lesser one to LV to take Niemi/Lehtoneni.

Then between the Expansion Draft and the Entry Draft maybe a trade like this could be made:

To Dallas: Tanev, Markstrom, 2017 or 2018 Conditional 2nd (which is Columbus' whenever Nucks get it)

To Vancouver: 3rd overall 2017, rights to Valeri Nichushkin + ( maybe Peteryn? not a deal breaker but helps with depth on right side)

Nucks overpay a bit but it is a third overall and I believe both Markstrom and Tanev are at the upper end of our rebuild age-wise, and may be past prime when Nucks are next able to seriously contend.

I think Dallas gets an upgrade in net to push Lehtonen/Niemi and replace him in the years ahead. Plus reduced cap on goalies especially if Lehtonen gets taken.

Plus they get Tanev which gives them a great top 4 with Hammer (familiarity)

And they get a 2nd to replace the one they give up getting rid of Niemi or Lehtonen (whichever)

If Goldy and Pedan both have good experiences under Green maybe Nichushkin and BFG both come back to Nucks where Russians can enjoy having a good group of expats together (better for wives, GF's and kids too if Russian speaking)

Why Canucks do this:

Nucks resign Miller for two years and run with Miller/Backman and Demko gets call ups in case of injury. JB maybe drafts another goalie with 2nd round pick.

Acquiring the rights to Nichushkin gives the Nucks a left hand shot power forward and maybe sends a positive message to Russia for BFG.

Nucks get a shot at two centres or one centre plus the power play QB 

Out                                                        IN

Tanev                    3rd overall (good centreman or the highest Dman take the opposite at 5)

Markstrom            Peteryn

2nd                       Maybe Nichushkin 

Maybe helps BFG decide to come back 

If all this worked out, not as big an overpayment as first might appear.

Like most things on here if not all, this will never happen, but fun to think about when no Canucks to watch.

CD out...

Good proposals in this thread am around. Both Philly and Dallas could use Tanev and it itnwoukdbt be unrealistic at all. This would definitely speed up the rebuild. Getting Patrick or hishcier and cake maker would be some serious building block moving forward. 

Archived