The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Rebuilding Plan

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Trading Burrows and particularly Hansen with his friendly cap hit for Dahlen and Goldobin was management showing a willingness to rebuild....let's just hope they are done signing UFAs to ridiculous contracts.  The team does need veternas to show the kids how to play, no need to ship everyone out....drafting is key going forward, the Sedins won't be around for much longer, three years at most, which matches the development curve nicely.  Elder and Tanev might be traded later....

How many vets do we need to show the kids?  Twins, Errikson, Sutter, Baer, Dorset, and Bo are all vets who could lead for sure.  On D we have Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, and Gudbranson, who are all vets.  Where do the young guys get meaningful minutes?   It's like the kids have to play in Utica, even if they are NHL ready, because we have some older vets we really should move out.  That's how I see it.  

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How many vets do we need to show the kids?  Twins, Errikson, Sutter, Baer, Dorset, and Bo are all vets who could lead for sure.  On D we have Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, and Gudbranson, who are all vets.  Where do the young guys get meaningful minutes?   It's like the kids have to play in Utica, even if they are NHL ready, because we have some older vets we really should move out.  That's how I see it.  

Bear and Bo aren't veterans, but  I get what your saying.  However you can't ice an AHL team and expect better results, or that it will just magically work out, at least not with our prospect pool.  Even the best take time, Thornton did, the Sedins did, Bertuzzi and Naslund did...

Like I said in three years time or less the Sedins should be done, opening up two roster spots, by then Tanev and Elder will be gone or soon after, and the guys developing will be earning their spot

.   I don't have any problem trading any of these guys for propsects and picks either, but somebody has to teach them the ropes.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Bear and Bo aren't veterans, but  I get what your saying.  However you can't ice an AHL team and expect better results, or that it will just magically work out, at least not with our prospect pool.  Even the best take time, Thornton did, the Sedins did, Bertuzzi and Naslund did...

Like I said in three years time or less the Sedins should be done, opening up two roster spots, by then Tanev and Elder will be gone or soon after, and the guys developing will be earning their spot

.   I don't have any problem trading any of these guys for propsects and picks either, but somebody has to teach them the ropes.

Where do the young guys get meaningful minutes though?  Of course we don't want to Coiler, and have not top minute vets, but there needs to be a balance.  Twins, Eriksson, Sutter, Baer, Bo.  Where do our young developing forwards get to play?  Fourth line with Dorsett and guys like Skille?  

This is the most prospects the canucks have had in ... Possibly ever. Benning is being cautious with what he says after the fine for tampering so I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt for now. The moves to bring Goldy and Dahlen are not amateur moves. And granny and Bae are looking up even though I think Bae will be expendable very soon but will net a decent pick or prospect or both. 

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Where do the young guys get meaningful minutes though?  Of course we don't want to Coiler, and have not top minute vets, but there needs to be a balance.  Twins, Eriksson, Sutter, Baer, Bo.  Where do our young developing forwards get to play?  Fourth line with Dorsett and guys like Skille?  

So far Boesser is the only one that has earned a spot.  Dahlen and Goldobin could this camp too.  Try opens a spot on defense.  The Sedins open up spots in a couple years and expansion will open up another spot, likely Sbisa although THNs mock draft still is taking Pedan in a recent updated mock draft which is a head scratcher.  Sutter and Dorsett can be traded to make spots, we are for better or worse stuck with LE for three plus years...

Granland and Bear can also be traded if we end up with a star prospect and need room for them.  At this point we should expect better coaching too, this should help the young guys make the team and get development help too.  

The only player that is untouchable is Horvat.  Tanev and Edler should and will eventually go, hopefully sooner than later.

Archived