The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Sign Jagr

On 2017-6-29 at 9:56 PM, SabreFan1 said:

He scored 46 points with the Panthers last year (16G-30A).  He'll find a team as long as he lowers his asking price.  $3-4 million is a bit much for a guy who is going to retire in the next 2-3 years.

If Chicago was smart they'd offer him $1.5-$2 Million for a year to go with the chance at a Cup.  Good leadership and he'd probably get around 55-60 points with better linemates.

According to him he wants to play until he's fifty.  I don't think winning a cup is high on his list although I'm sure he would love it, given his recent time in Florida.  He's still a monster once he's got the puck, nobody can get it back once he sticks his ox size but out, would immediately be our biggest forward and let's face it, we have even less size now there after day one of free agency.

Sign him to one year at 3 mill.  Maybe on our top line his sick hands and finish will bring back the hey day of Sedinery cycling.  

More tickets would sell and even at his age he's still a solid second liner, with some upside given he keeps in ridiculous shapes with ridiculous endless workouts.  Gordie Howe would be proud.

17 hours ago, rawkdrummer said:

and send who to the minors? Boeser, Goldobin?

we have enough now to surround our kids and give them the chance

Goldobin.  On most teams this wouldn't even be a subject, including probably ours after day one of free agency. 

I hope they don't stick him on the Sedins lines, they deserve better linemates...in fact I hope they move Gagne to the wing and play him on the top line.  If Jagr was signed he could play on Horvats line.  Would be sick.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Goldobin.  On most teams this wouldn't even be a subject, including probably ours after day one of free agency. 

I hope they don't stick him on the Sedins lines, they deserve better linemates...in fact I hope they move Gagne to the wing and play him on the top line.  If Jagr was signed he could play on Horvats line.  Would be sick.

sending Goldobin back to the minors? Jagr is our future then?

I don't agree, Horvat would be all by himself at the net while Jagr is still at centre ice.

Jagr is way too slow to play with Horvat, the game is now about speed and skill. Jagr has no speed.

I was there at the 1990 Draft, Vancouver.  I thought the Nucks should have drafted Jagr, but there was a concern about Europeans coming overseas at that time so tlhey picked Nedved instead.  Signing him wouldn't be a bad idea because we could say we finally got the best player from that draft and heal old wounds at missing at 2.  He could still contribute and would be a good mentor for our younger players and we could always trade him away at next year's TDL to get back assets if need be.  Also, he could help sell tickets and our offence.  As long as he doesn't cost too much to sign, it is a possible option for management to consider.

52 minutes ago, rawkdrummer said:

sending Goldobin back to the minors? Jagr is our future then?

I don't agree, Horvat would be all by himself at the net while Jagr is still at centre ice.

Jagr is way too slow to play with Horvat, the game is now about speed and skill. Jagr has no speed.

It's only for one year.  If Goldobin earns a spot than of course he should be there but not on the first line.  Jagrs faster then the twins I don't think your giving him enough credit.  Jagr > than Goldobin and instantly would be at least on par with the Sedins skill wise.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with letting the fringe guys develop another year in Utica, including Dahlen, Virtanen and Juolevi if he qualifies.  Benning served notice that nobody is gauranteed a spot.  When guys get injured and the young guys come up to replace them, if they do a better job than Benning can arrange a trade to get them their shot.

Personally I'd rather not see another Megns, Chaput arrangement, the Sedins deserve respect and proven linemates.  If for some miracle a young guy gets some time and goes all Burrows prime or Carter on them, then great.  But recycling fringe unknowns in hope of that is getting tiresome.

quote from NHL.com

"Jaromir Jagr still is waiting for his phone to ring.

The No. 2 scorer in NHL history remains available after the first day of free agency Saturday, two days after he posted a humorous tweet that included a photo of himself on the phone, saying he had not yet received any calls from NHL teams and was trying to call them."

seems 'bout right, don't want him here unless he's on the other team.

posters here don't agree with me but I can tell JB and TL do.

27 minutes ago, rawkdrummer said:

quote from NHL.com

"Jaromir Jagr still is waiting for his phone to ring.

The No. 2 scorer in NHL history remains available after the first day of free agency Saturday, two days after he posted a humorous tweet that included a photo of himself on the phone, saying he had not yet received any calls from NHL teams and was trying to call them."

seems 'bout right, don't want him here unless he's on the other team.

posters here don't agree with me but I can tell JB and TL do.

It's just a hypothetical.  Jagr won't sign here, but the idea is fun...put him on the first line and the combined age would be close to 120...might be a record?  

His tweet was typical Jagr, all in jest.  As the UFA season continues , eventually he will be the best option for a couple teams and get his next one year deal.  PIT would be fun, but then the traveling Jagrs can wear a home and away jersey...

On 6/29/2017 at 8:18 PM, canuktravella said:

i say pay him 2 mill per for 2 yrs hes a guaranteed 40-60 points can be a leader and teach  virtanen, horvat, juolevi, gaunce, boeser how to pro champs and id just like seeing what he could do on a line with sedins we have tons of cap space why not take a gamble see what jagr has left in the tank im betting its more than the sedins do have you seen how jacked that guy is what a machine 

yes and no.

I think Jagr would be great, like he was in Fla, however the Canucks have veteran  leadership in the Sedins and adding Jagr would muddy those waters.

I don't think you bring in Jagr to play with the Sedins and I  don't think you bring him in to "outplay" the Sedins.

You run the risk of another Eriksson situation or another Kesler situation.

On 2017-07-02 at 7:59 AM, IBatch said:

According to him he wants to play until he's fifty.  I don't think winning a cup is high on his list although I'm sure he would love it, given his recent time in Florida.  He's still a monster once he's got the puck, nobody can get it back once he sticks his ox size but out, would immediately be our biggest forward and let's face it, we have even less size now there after day one of free agency.

Sign him to one year at 3 mill.  Maybe on our top line his sick hands and finish will bring back the hey day of Sedinery cycling.  

More tickets would sell and even at his age he's still a solid second liner, with some upside given he keeps in ridiculous shapes with ridiculous endless workouts.  Gordie Howe would be proud.

i posted something similar somewhere on this site before

i'd pay to watch jagr play with the sedins

he is a possession machine

and the pace that line could play at with puck control

would negate the speedsters that might be matched up against them

would need a speedy and competent d pairing with them though

i see that a bit of a molasses backcheck might happen :P

• 1 month later...

1 17min  Baertschi (23G 18A)                      Horvat (18G 38A)             Eriksson (24G27A)

2 15min  Goldobin (18G 14A)                       Granlund (16G 25A)        Boeser (20G 12A)

3 15min  Sedin (17G 28A)                             Sedin (9G 44A)                Jagr (23G, 16A)

4 13min  Gagner  (14G 19A)                         Sutter (14G, 14A)            Rodin/Vanek/Hudler 16G, 11A)

1Edler 2Tanev

3Hutton 4Stetcher

5Del Zotto 6Gudbranson

7Weircoich 8Biega

Markstrom 42g

Nilsson 36g

Demko 4g

Utica, Pressbox* or Otherwise:  Molino, Gaunce, Chaput*, Dorsett, Burmistrov*, Boucher, Virtanen, 

Megna, Cassels, Grenier, LaBate, Subban, Pedan, McEneny

41-30-11  93 pts  5TH in Pacific,  MAKE PLAYOFFS BY 1 POINT AS 16TH AND FINAL ENTRY

Below: DUCKS, OILERS, SHARKS, FLAMES,

Above: COYOTES, KINGS

Lose in First Round 4-2

2018: Attempt Trade / release  Sutter, Gudbranson, Dorsett, Virtanen, Pedan

Review: Dahlen, Subban, Juolevi

Draft: #16th overall, #34th overall, or trade up in draft using Sutter, Gudbranson, Pedan, Virtanen +16th pick

Major Career Advancements for:  Boeser, Goldobin, Nilsson,

Career Solidifying Years from: Horvat, Baertchi, Granlund

Resurgence: Sedin, Sedin, Eriksson, Rodin/Hudler

Jagr/Vanek/Hudler are cheap comparatively to their return potential;  Current Cap Space 7.3m (includes Luongo and Higgins 'Tax')

Excitement about this team: Amplified

This team is stacked in a playoff way with heavy talent throughout lineup with dangerous fourth line and a second line of young legs to aid in top line and Sedin line production, and to mitigate/balance lack of speed on Sedin line (Anchor Line) and top line. This is a playoff team when configured this way if goaltending holds and defensive statistics are mid-pack. Sedin/Jagr line would be a passing and IQ nightmare for opposing teams. On first line Bo and Bear come at you hard, Erikkson has the tools, pedigree and is under contract for 5 years and will be back being pesky with a nose for the net this season after off-year of adjustment and injury last year. Second line kid line oozes potential, speed and sharp shooters. Playoff style fourth line in todays NHL with creativity, drive and some finish.

Archived